Which Bosphorus bridge?

roy.henderson

Reaction score
As an alternative to watching horror movies or reality TV, I've been frightening myself by reading about the driving around Istanbul. I note that there are two crossings. Is there a "better" route? Which of the two is best? Or should a chicken-livered coward like me head for the Dardanelles ferry?

If you use the Fatih Sultan Mehmet Bridge, the more northern, you'll find long and dense traffic queues to pay the toll on the European side. Lane splitting is not easy because of the density of the traffic.

The Bosphorus Bridge is also a toll bridge but neither charge for crossing from the Asian side.

Greg

As an alternative to watching horror movies or reality TV, I've been frightening myself by reading about the driving around Istanbul. I note that there are two crossings. Is there a "better" route? Which of the two is best? Or should a chicken-livered coward like me head for the Dardanelles ferry?

Are you for real?

if you are seriously up for riding to Istanbul, you honestly shouldn't be worrying about which fekking bridge to cross :blast

Riding round Istanbul is a great buzz, you just need too be 'switched on' and aware. No one will hit you on purpose, no one will knock you off deliberately, just be decisive and they'll give you your space .... not a lot of space, but merely sufficient, and that's enough. Traffic lights mean nothing, everyone lives on their horn :eek:

Don't be put off ... it's a great place :thumb

Contact the One More Mile Riders of Istanbul for any further information ...

Enjoy :thumb

:beerjug:

I'd probably go North if just passing through. However, if you're heading to South West Turkey and you aren't bothered about visiting Istanbul, a ferry would be a good option. Getting through Istanbul/ across the bridge isn't quick, the ferries are pretty easy and you can visit e.g.Gallipoli en route (Cannakale ferry). If you're concerned about riding through Istanbul, why punish yourself? It rather depends where you're heading ultimately. I'll be heading to the Fethiye area next year and will definitely bypass Istanbul, as I won't be able to spend any time there.

if your thinking about it and dont do it you will probably regret it, do istanbul one way and Dardanelles the other, people will tell you how bad it is and possibly say its not worth it if your not planning to spend any time there.
i did it last october, no idea which bridge i went over to be honest as i set off from the old town early doors thinking i would miss all the traffic, relying on my sat nav and not realising i hadnt turned off the option for ferries and ended up going round in circles, i eventually turned it off and followed signs for Ankara.
the volume of traffic is crazy but also quite enjoyable in a strange way, i found the trick was to get behind a local on his scooter or extra wide harley, these guys have no fear and its a free for all.
looking back, i stopped off for one night in istanbul, wish i could have stayed longer but glad i made the effort.
street sellers on busy highways with trays full of prezel things piled on their heads dodging the traffic, priceless

You can't use the Bogazici bridge (southern) because you're a filthy biker.

Or, because it's been made a pre-paid toll bridge only.

You have to use the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) bridge now, which I think costs 3TL. Get to it before 4pm om a weekday and as early as possible on a weekend day. If not you'll still get across, but it'll be fun.

Bikes don't have to join the queues though, push to the front then push in at the front. There might be a few indignant looks and mad gesticulating but no one really cares.

DO NOT USE THE OGS OR KGS LANES. They don't take cash and you might end up with a nice penalty to pay when leaving the country. Use the lanes showing NAKIT (Cash). If there's traffic, keep to the right, as getting to the right lane will be easier.

If you are not sure of directions, just follow the ANKARA signs, with white lettering on a green background.

And just for a surprise, don't forget that if passing through and wanting to crack on, there's another toll area to continue on the E80, when leaving the city limits. More traffic in rush hour.

Or...you could be really daring & take the ferry across from Sirkeci to Harem...get to see Istanbul from the Bosphorous while sipping on a cup of tea & having a smoke!

If you do insist on taking one of the bridges then I suggest you go for the one you are closest to, as you'll prolly be sat in traffic trying to get to the other. Both bridges can get equally busy, but as said above the FSM bridge (aka 2nd) can snarl up pretty bad on entrance due to the bottle neck at the gise. If you do use the 2nd stay as far to the right as you can.

Also, feel free to use the hard shoulder while on the motorway, 99% of cops turn a blind eye.

PM me if you want any more info :thumb2

*Edit just seen your post expat...

You can't use the Bogazici bridge (southern) because you're a filthy biker.

Or, because it's been made a pre-paid toll bridge only.

You have to use the Flying Spaghetti Monster (FSM) bridge now, which I think costs 3TL. Get to it before 4pm om a weekday and as early as possible on a weekend day. If not you'll still get across, but it'll be fun.

Neither bridge has taken cash for a while now. You can get a KGS card from the highways office situated just before the gise on both bridges or from a mobile van thingy parked up in various laybys(not too sure about that though). IIRC the minimum payment including card is approx 50TL.

Or you could conveniently position a suitable chain lock to partially cover your number plate...which I dont do...but have seen on the local couriers :D

Or...you could be really daring & take the ferry across from Sirkeci to Harem...get to see Istanbul from the Bosphorous while sipping on a cup of tea & having a smoke!

If you do insist on taking one of the bridges then I suggest you go for the one you are closest to, as you'll prolly be sat in traffic trying to get to the other. Both bridges can get equally busy, but as said above the FSM bridge (aka 2nd) can snarl up pretty bad on entrance due to the bottle neck at the gise. If you do use the 2nd stay as far to the right as you can.

Also, feel free to use the hard shoulder while on the motorway, 99% of cops turn a blind eye.

PM me if you want any more info :thumb2

So, he can use the Bogazici? Is it open to all traffic now? I thought it was still OGS / KGS only?

Ok, so to summarise.

You can't pay cash at the booths of either bridge. You need to buy a KGS card from the office on the right just before the booths. I'm told the minimum is 20TL. I'm also told that you can get a refund on the unused credit when you leave the country, but I'm not at all sure that's right, or easy.

If possible, it'll probably be a good idea to buy a KGS card at the border, but make sure wherever you buy one it's from the office, not the road-side vans. You're a foreigner and could be charged accordingly. Try to make sure you have 10TL in coins if you can't, as you'll be using the motorway to get to Istanbul, and there are tolls.....it'll be about 3 or 4TL.

If you are riding to Ankara, or will be using toll roads, then 20TL will probably get used anyway. It's roughly 3TL to use the bridge and about the same for every 200km or so of motorway....I think.

To avoid all this, and if not bothered about Istanbul, go through Canakkale.

It might be an idea to send a PM to denny or me, with your route plan, so we can give any advice needed. Or post here so others thinking of going can see it.

Thanks for the replies, also to those who took my flippant post seriously. I hate arriving at toll booths and finding I don't have the correct payment method. So Its the north bridge and I'll be crossing from east to west so I'll apparently be toll-free? Which would imply that the queueing should be minimal. (I'll be entering Turkey via a greek ferry). Whether I visit Istanbul city will simply be down to the time I have left in my schedule.

East to West (Asian to European side) is free for both bridges. There can still be queues in the rush hours and weekends but they are usually easier to get through on a bike. If using the E80 m/way coming from the east, there's a toll area before the city on the Asian side, have three or four Liras in coins and it'll be easy.

Don't join the queues, push to the front, bikes generally do because sitting in traffic in the summer heat is no fun at all.

I'll be getting the ferry from chios. I suspect that Turkey will be more interested in the Syrian side at this point in time!

Originally Posted by roy.henderson

Thanks for the replies, also to those who took my flippant post seriously. I hate arriving at toll booths and finding I don't have the correct payment method. So Its the north bridge and I'll be crossing from east to west so I'll apparently be toll-free? Which would imply that the queueing should be minimal. (I'll be entering Turkey via a greek ferry). Whether I visit Istanbul city will simply be down to the time I have left in my schedule.

Toll booths are always a challenge with the panniers for me.

I'm planning something similar in june and I haven´t been able to find out if it is possible to take a ferry from Pireus to Rodes and then to Turkey with the bike. Do you have any idea about the best way to do it?

Thank you for the info about the bridges and have a nice and enjoyable journey.

Jordi

Be aware that Turkey and Greece seriously don't get on!

Just check the voting on the Eurovision Song Contest to verify!

:eek:

Greg

Really?? Where would we be without Eurovision? :comfort

Not sure where the Chios ferry docks but I'm guessing Izmir. If you're not going to spend time in Istanbul then crossing over at Canakkale makes sense.

Really?? Where would we be without Eurovision? :comfort

Not sure where the Chios ferry docks but I'm guessing Izmir. If you're not going to spend time in Istanbul then crossing over at Canakkale makes sense.

Particularly as it will allow a visit to Assos and Galipoli on the way. Better biking roads too, as the routes from Istanbul to Greece are dull and best forgotten.

More ferry questions

Just had a thought...
Is anyone familiar with the ferries Piraeus - Chios and Chios - Cesme? Question is - Is advance booking essential or can a bike roll up and squeeze on? This'll be around 10 -11 June.

Last edited:
Istanbul

Have past the big city,on the north bridge,bout way,it was ok,but slow,lots of traffikk.
I did not pay any toll,,,,I just went thru,,.Pasing the border to Bulgaria tomorrow,I`l wounder if the police wil arest me for not have pay the toll..

Back
Top Bottom