Remap by Hilltop Motorcycles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had ZZR14 remapped at Hilltop and it was very nice afterwards, but as stated not cheap.

No, it's not cheap but to put it in context, it's about the same as you'll pay for any of the main car tuners to flash your car ECU with a generic map without any dyno time even for fine tuning. Given that they're probably doing far more remaps than Hilltop are, the economies of scale would suggest that Hilltop are giving relatively good value for money.

I have no connection with Hilltop by the way, having never even been there.

.... the economies of scale would suggest that Hilltop are giving relatively good value for money

I agree, there are several companies out there that do bikes as well, such as ECU unleashed and they charge abour £350 for two minutes work uploading a generic map.

Hilltop spent about 3.5 hours mapping my bike, taking into account the cost of a Dyno and the software to program the ECU's, plus skilled operator time you can see why it costs so much.

Excellent!

Had the job done on Saturday and it took the morning to do. It is an interesting set-up there.. my GS sat next to a tricked out BSB Kawasaki and a brand new series R6 being race prepped.

It seems Geoff is the Yoda of all things fuelling and does a lot of work for race teams as well as doing the highly customised maps for the GS.

Me- I'm very pleased with the result. The old girl pulls better everywhere and is much, much crisper. The overall result is very much like the twin cam- the engine is that bit more eager.

Not cheap at £360 but I'm happy :thumb

Had the job done on Saturday and it took the morning to do. It is an interesting set-up there.. my GS sat next to a tricked out BSB Kawasaki and a brand new series R6 being race prepped.

It seems Geoff is the Yoda of all things fuelling and does a lot of work for race teams as well as doing the highly customised maps for the GS.

Me- I'm very pleased with the result. The old girl pulls better everywhere and is much, much crisper. The overall result is very much like the twin cam- the engine is that bit more eager.

Gucci family motto .... "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"

:beerjug:

I also had a remap carried out by Geoff at Hilltop on my '57 plate ZZR1400. I also had him remove the secondary butterflies too and all in all it made an already fantastic bike just awesome - smoother, faster, more controlled. Can't rate the modification or the guy highly enough. It isn't cheap as has been said but imho it is a better alternative to the PC3 route for one reason: crash a bike on which there is a PC3 and if the assessor sees it and you haven't reported it to the insurance company then your insurance will not pay out. If the ECU has been remapped there is no physical evidence it has had a 'performance modification'.

He did say that most of his remaps were carried out on ZZR1400s (the early ones had power limited until a certain rev limit was reached and only then did you get full power) and BMWs. Go figure.

FWIW if you're the one spending the money and you're happy with what you've spent it on then happy days.

Once mine's out of warranty I'll be riding over to Earl Shilton.

Mine's booked in for tomorrow........... I'll post some pictures

He's very busy BTW, and can't understand why he's got an influx of GS's:D

Ollie

If it's made your bike better, faster & smoother, i'd say that £360 is cheap compared to many other so called tuning products, most of which do diddly squat unless you spend much much more than £360.

Did you get dyno figures before and after?

Good job, anyway

Enjoy your bike

Shep

I was going to take my F800GS down to Hilltop along with Magnet and Harry the Cat but having acquired my G650Xcountry I though that, it being a long term project, I would take that down instead. Anyway, the F800GS has more power than I can handle and is certainly smooth enough for me ;)

Bearing in mind the meagre output of the 650 single, which in reality, on the road, is a crackin' ride :thumb

Graph one shows the initial readings ....

Peak power at 39 bhp
Torque a wobbly 29 ft lbs for a brief period

Graph two shows the final reading, top gear roll on ....

Peak power now at 44 bhp an increase of approx 12%
Torque now a flat plateau at 34 ft lbs an increase of approx 17%

What doesn't show is how the bike feels and responds ;)

I'm happy :thumb

Attachments

• Initial run as standard.jpg
    Initial run as standard.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 4,674
  • Third and final run.jpg
    Third and final run.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 4,771
FWIW if you're the one spending the money and you're happy with what you've spent it on then happy days.

Most certainly am :thumb

Once mine's out of warranty I'll be riding over to Earl Shilton.

That's my logic here. Given the cost to change to a new GSA- a small fortune- have decided to spend considerably less on two upgrades, the WESA from Revs, and this from Geoff @ Hilltop.

Sorted :beerjug:

If it's made your bike better, faster & smoother, i'd say that £360 is cheap compared to many other so called tuning products, most of which do diddly squat unless you spend much much more than £360.

Agreed, Shep. Definitely better, smoother, and a wee bit faster. I suppose £360 is a not cheap for something most would hardly call an essential. But as has been pointed out on the thread already, I think there's been an enormous amount of effort in devising thee maps from Geoff and so it certainly seems a reasonable cost.

Did you get dyno figures before and after?

Yes. When I can sort out the piffling scanner I'll pop them up. Micky has kindly given a demonstration..

Good job, anyway... Enjoy your bike

Cheers :thumb

What doesn't show is how the bike feels and responds ;)

I'm happy :thumb

That looks bloody fantastic :thumb2

I have had bikes with minor gains and smoothing out of curves that feel much better on the road.

The complete shite-ness of the stock curve I assume is down to emissions and noise regs which seems to just be making engines worse year on year. Mainly caused by very odd testing rules that do not simulate real world driving, but cause the engines to run bloody awful in the real world.

You can't beat a bike with a nice "throttle connection" as the racers tend to call it, or what I call "Crisp", just makes a bike nicer to ride.

Enjoy Ollie. Share with us what you make of it, eh?

OK, interesting place Hilltop garage. The Dyno room probably takes up 1/3 of the workshop. Geoff is an enthusiastic chap with a good sense of humour.
My standard dyno run, before modifications, showed;
87 BHP and 69Ft/lb @ 5795rpm.
Not bad, but running very lean - too lean at most revs.

The standard map was then added before being tweaked;
104 BHP and 80FT/lbs @ 5593rpm with a much smoother power and torque curve.

After some fettling Geoff adapted the maps to my bike and smoothed out the power and torque in each gear. the final result;
106 BHP and 82Ft/lb @5699rpm. 21% increase in BHP and 18% increase in torque.

I was worried about fuel consumption and reset my bike for the 60 mile trip up. It was 51.9 mpg. On the way back it went up to 54 mpg. Now that could be a red herring as driving was different. However, the bike feels much better in each gear. I change up and down less. 3rd at 30mph is sooooo much smoother, as is 40mph in 4th.

I've just got back from a wee blast around Milton Keynes, (great for big roundabouts and 70mph dual carriageways). Bike has more grunt and better response to demand.

Overall, very happy. Couldn't afford a new bike, so this was the next best thing.

One thing he did advise was getting new plugs as he believes my bike had been running far too lean and therefore hot.

As a reference, mines a 2008 with 19k miles.

Cheers
Ollie

Ollie ... Is yer bike on a standard exhaust (or is it decatted ..) ??

In for Re-Map

Well, have ridden over from SW France and dropped bike in with Geoff for the re-map. My brother is having his done after me.

When we arrived Geoff had just finished a ZX10 that looked standard but has had a lot of engine work, final printout showed 223bhp !!!! We told him we would be happy with just 200bhp, his response - only if he bolted our bikes together.

Will update with printouts over the weekend.

Both our bikes are 2008 with standard pipe & cans.

Well, have ridden over from SW France and dropped bike in with Geoff for the re-map. My brother is having his done after me.

When we arrived Geoff had just finished a ZX10 that looked standard but has had a lot of engine work, final printout showed 223bhp !!!! We told him we would be happy with just 200bhp, his response - only if he bolted our bikes together.

Will update with printouts over the weekend.

Both our bikes are 2008 with standard pipe & cans.
Look forward to reading your finding. Personally, I'd just have mine remapped for smooth running round town, get rid of that on/off feeling.

I think £360 for the power gains reported here is amazing value, it's the price of a cheap end can. But i don't think I'll risk it while the bike is still in warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom