Iran etc - Carnets de Passage

mrsroynie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Doing lots of homework on this potential China trip of ours - albeit anything could change between now and 2014 - and we find that we are going to need Carnets de Passage for travel in Iran and China and possibly other transit countries.

Bearing in mind the potential cost of these (up to 10% of 500 x value of bike :eek:), how have others gone about getting the necessary indemnity: insurance, bank guarantee, etc??? I'm assuming that it isn't a trip-buster and there is a practical way round this without actually having to hand over cash. There will obviously be admin fees to pay, but I'm not sure that I completely understand the RAC's pricing information. Has anyone any recent experience of these? :confused:

Got a Carnet some years ago which was trouble free and when the RAC were a motoring organisation. Got my bank to cover me for any default.

Last time I tried and the plan was to go to Iran, I was approaching it the same way. All was going well until the Natwest found out the carnet was for Iran and pulled the plug on me saying they would be breaking sanctions against Iran if the underwrote the carnet!!! :barfIt seemed to me a specious argument and perhaps someone in the Natwest just didn't want the hassle.:ronno

If your going down that route check that your bank doesn't take the same view.

Turkey and Syria were brilliant but I would have liked to have seen Iran.

Last time I tried and the plan was to go to Iran, I was approaching it the same way. All was going well until the Natwest found out the carnet was for Iran and pulled the plug on me saying they would be breaking sanctions against Iran if the underwrote the carnet!!! :barf .

Interesting. What year was that?

In 2009 Sue and myself (Gracie on here) went through Iran in to Pakistan, was heading for India. Sue did the paperwork but had no troubles in getting the carnets and visas ...

Friendly contact at the RAC 'down valued' our bikes to make the carnets cheaper ;)

Mention Iran to folk and I bet, I know, their heckles are up ... I'd go back tomorrow. A wonderful country with lovely people. Smog, pollution and dust a real problem.

I loved Iran, just a shame I can't say the same for Pakistan, but then I guess we had some problems there and didn't see the better aspect of it maybe :nenau

:beerjug:

In 2009 Sue and myself (Gracie on here) went through Iran in to Pakistan, was heading for India. Sue did the paperwork but had no troubles in getting the carnets and visas ...

Friendly contact at the RAC 'down valued' our bikes to make the carnets cheaper ;)

Mention Iran to folk and I bet, I know, their heckles are up ... I'd go back tomorrow. A wonderful country with lovely people. Smog, pollution and dust a real problem.

I loved Iran, just a shame I can't say the same for Pakistan, but then I guess we had some problems there and didn't see the better aspect of it maybe :nenau

Good to hear and seems to echo others' experiences of Iran. I don't suppose you remember how much you had to spend to set up the carnet - arrangement fees, etc.?

Good to hear and seems to echo others' experiences of Iran. I don't suppose you remember how much you had to spend to set up the carnet - arrangement fees, etc.?

I really can't remember, sorry, it was four years ago, but it certainly wasn't excessive and was in keeping with other countries :thumb

I thought the carnet fee was only a bond (insurance premium) which you paid, when we've used ATA carnet's before all we got was the documents from the chamber of commerce. We paid the premium and the chamber sorts the rest out... make sure your have extra entry sheets with it. most come with 6-10 sheets you my nee 30-40 sheets of paper but as your meant to get them stamped from every country you visit... work out how many that can be.

for instance.... in theory

UK to Switzerland is UK carnet Opened at port of exit, France transit stamped, switzerland entry, switzerland exit, france tansit stamped, UK carnet closed at port of entry (documents returned to the chamber to be redeemed against the policy....) six sheets used... done!

imagine trying to get to Iran and back or beyond...:thumb2

the fact that EU states don't do border controls is handy but if you get a border nazi... it's a bloody nightmare... try explaining how you got there...:blast

best of luck.

I thought the carnet fee was only a bond (insurance premium) which you paid, when we've used ATA carnet's before all we got was the documents from the chamber of commerce. We paid the premium and the chamber sorts the rest out... make sure your have extra entry sheets with it. most come with 6-10 sheets you my nee 30-40 sheets of paper but as your meant to get them stamped from every country you visit... work out how many that can be.

for instance.... in theory

UK to Switzerland is UK carnet Opened at port of exit, France transit stamped, switzerland entry, switzerland exit, france tansit stamped, UK carnet closed at port of entry (documents returned to the chamber to be redeemed against the policy....) six sheets used... done!

imagine trying to get to Iran and back or beyond...:thumb2

the fact that EU states don't do border controls is handy but if you get a border nazi... it's a bloody nightmare... try explaining how you got there...:blast

best of luck.

We were only asked for our carnets when we entered Iran .... and left. One stamp in, one stamp out. It was quite simple and trouble free. The Iranian border officials couldn't have been more helpful :)

the one's we use are different and by jingo everybody on the planet wanted a copy.... and just doing Switzerland or Norway and back was a nightmare more because of the time it took hanging around... especially as every bit of kit is listed... and you can be asked to find it and show it to the customs bloke!

I think there is a difference between an ATA Carnet and a Carnet de Passage which is what you need for a vehicle

a vehicle can be listed as part of the ATA, the big difference between them when we use an ATA go to one destination and then return while the other is a transit document for a prolonged period.

However ATA carnets can also be used hence you need more pages in them, cos they're a different thing and are issued by the chamber or trade. UKTI and local chambers of trade and some sucker has to pay for the bond... if they don't get returned that person can loose the security...:thumb2

a vehicle can be listed as part of the ATA, the big difference between them when we use an ATA go to one destination and then return while the other is a transit document for a prolonged period.

However ATA carnets can also be used hence you need more pages in them, cos they're a different thing and are issued by the chamber or trade. UKTI and local chambers of trade and some sucker has to pay for the bond... if they don't get returned that person can loose the security...:thumb2

Ah yes ... it would have been an ATA carnet we used to have to prepare for shipping entire original fashion collections to various shows - not dissimilar to the massive document the LWR team hauled around with them. I remember the headache and the dread of things getting nicked - happened once or twice too! :eek:

I assumed that a vehicle carnet would be a simpler animal. :hide

the ATA is a simple document and it just takes time, it's very secure and actually really easy once you get in the swing of things. The main thing is it's a Government document so you have the protection of UKTI, the LWR thing well it's good way to enhance the story for dramatic effect...:augie

I've rolled up at the swiss border with 450K of kit and no documents....:blast I got let in once I signed a few forms and left a deposit on my company credit card.... which left a unpleasant deposit in my pants...:eek:

everything is possible all you need is abit of luck on your side....:thumb2

the carnet for a vehicle is like a passport and your promise to not sell or otherwise dispose of your vehicle in their country which can also mean if it gets into an accident that you'll remove it from that country... this can be a right pain in the R's...

you may want to consider "after the event insurance" it's a way to cover for any larger amounts needed to do this or just play stupid that's always worked best for me...:D

carnet de passage

Can you remember how they control the carnet at the Iran border?
I mean, they just contro the papers or they put some code, or check in some database on the computer the validity of your carnet? Bye.

Hi

Yes,they will check in your vehicle details on computer which will be visible at all the borders around Iran.

Regards

Obtaining Carnet de Passage at the Iranian border

Hello

Just to remind that if you are going to Visit Iran by your own vehicle you must have Carnet de passage to enter the country
As far as i know its very expensive to get in EU and they ask for deposit as well and because of that many people cant afford and they just skip Iran.
But if you know the right person it is possible ,good to know that i bring overlanders vehicles into the country without Carnet de passage.
For more on this you can contact me directly:

http://hosseinsguesthouse.com/

All the best

Can you remember how they control the carnet at the Iran border?
I mean, they just contro the papers or they put some code, or check in some database on the computer the validity of your carnet? Bye.

Each Carnet has several copies, They just take one copy, sign and stamp your copies, and you show this when leaving the country, then your last copy is stamped up showing that you have left the country. Very helpful at the border, gave us tea :thumb

Back
Top Bottom