Eastern Europe in August?

Rockoz

Reaction score
Hi chaps.
I'm planning a trip to eastern europe for 2.5 weeks and wanted some advice on places to go and people to meet etc etc... I
I've read several ride reports on here inc the 3 blokes who went in 05 in 12's.....
I kinda fancy going to the Mz town in Germany first, then onto Cluj in Romania to meet Cata Dan to get my rhs throttle bodie fitted with a new shaft and bush etc (he is very talked about on ADV rider).
Then obvioulsy the transfaragasen (sp) and see Vlads castles etc.. Then do the coastline of Croatia....
Can you get through Serbia and Montenegro?
Any other troubles I may run into?

Rough route below.....

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr...Plw&oq=Dunstable&mra=ls&via=2,3,4,7,8&t=m&z=5

Thanks

Ollie

Hi Rockoz,

That looks like an ideal route. Personally, I would get through Hungary as quickly as possible and concentrate on Romania, then Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro on the return. There are no issues getting in and out of these countries providing you have a valid passport. The Croatian coast is super, but don't forget that Croatia has some awesome mountains as well, which tend to be less crowded.

You've already picked some good spots (Zschopau, Cluj, Transfaragasen). If you're heading for Zschopau, you might want to stop at Colditz. Also worth visiting are Zagreb, Sarajevo and Mostar.

Wish I was coming with you :thumb

Dave thanks for your input :)

Stonker - I have eu cover inc in my 'bike sure' uk insurance. An issue with Bosnia is insurance which I don't have? Also I am not sure if Serbia or Montenegro will be covered?

Also breakdown cover?

Cheers

Hi - Serbia covered with your eu insurance, bosnia cheap border insurance.
Breakdown cover - use ADAC - see the euro braekdown insurance thread in travel section. Have Robs bike here in my garage as CN decided it was a worthless airhead and should be left for the RRoma here!!

Add Sarajevo and Mostar to your route !! Montenegro is expensive
Have some suggestions to change route slightly - miss out Hungary, go Slovakia and through bottom corner of Ukraine, cross to Ro at Sighet Marmtei ? visit Sapanta come down Baia mare, Cluj, Sighisoara and Saxon Villages, (pop into Brasov for a beer!) then over Transfag

Lets talk tomorrow - out on the piss with Rob Farmer in Brasov tonight.

I think it is difficult to get cover for Ukraine and Serbia from your UK insurer....best check mate. I keep looking at these countries but guess the border insurance is pretty useless if you have an accident

Groupama - definetly will extend full cover for all those countries - and I believe AXA do as well. Muppets at brokers are not always uptospeed - so always double check with the main insurer if you have problems.

But when travelling - you sometimes have to accept a little risk to enjoy life.... and third party (greencard cover) along with good ADAC recovery and travel insurance pretty much covers most risks. You can park your bike safely everywhere and need to avoid accidents that are your own fault! If it is anothers fault the green card agreement ensures that their insurance will pay up. ADAC will get you home! most maajor roads are clear of landmines and the chetniks only come out at night :)

Serbia is now party to EU agreement - so all EU policies give 3rd party cover - not even border checks now.

Don't miss out on some wonderful places to see, excellent food to eat, alcohol to drink and beautiful scenery (and women) to study!

Don't get me wrong Gavin, I have ridden through Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary & Romania. This year I'm looking to add Bulgaria and Greece to that list and would be prepared to add others if I can minimise the risks. I have just found that as soon as I mention Serbia, Albania or Ukraine, insurance companies don't want to know

Stonker - no challenges - just want people to realise it is not difficult and insurance is availibe ....

If you are having problems with green cards, extended cover etc with Carole Nash - not all 'operators' can make things happen - send the very helpful team leader DianeSandbach@carolenash.com a freindly email.... explaining what you need - I am sure she will sort you out!!

Stonker - no challenges - just want people to realise it is not difficult and insurance is availibe ....

If you are having problems with green cards, extended cover etc with Carole Nash - not all 'operators' can make things happen - send the very helpful team leader DianeSandbach@carolenash.com a freindly email.... explaining what you need - I am sure she will sort you out!!

Just one problem...I'm not with CN....they wanted over £400 as opposed to £146 from Bennets. (renewal not for another couple of weeks)

Don't get me wrong Gavin, I have ridden through Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary & Romania. This year I'm looking to add Bulgaria and Greece to that list and would be prepared to add others if I can minimise the risks. I have just found that as soon as I mention Serbia, Albania or Ukraine, insurance companies don't want to know

Dont worry abt it you can get insurance on the border montenegro 10 euros,
bosnia i was covered by my insurance, romainia should be fine cluj is busy place its a university city, brasov is worth a visit, the transfargen is better during the week it gets very busy weekends,serbia i also had to get insurance at the border, but there all very easy to gain entry watch out for the speedtraps in romainia they sit on the edge of towns but if you stick to the limit they will leave you alone have a great time.:beerjug:

A bit of advice from Austria

Hello

I've had a look a the bit of your route that comes close to us here in Austria. Looks like you plan to use the Slovenian motorway from Ljubljana the Karawanken tunnel into Austria and then the A10 towards Salzburg.

Just one word DON'T!

This route is a major holiday highway and in August is prone to long delays, will cost you money in tolls (Slovenian & Austrian motorway vignettes plus extra tolls for the Karawanken and Tauern tunnels) and is best avoided unless you are travelling through the night. All along Austria autobahns there are traffic lights, these are turned to red if there is an incident up ahead so you can't filter beyond the red light.

Near us the B99 followed by the B159 are great biking roads and a better choice unless the weather is really bad.

You don't say how long you have for the trip but if you have time call in and say hello.

If you are using a Garmin or Tom Tom I couls send you some good routes to get you through our region.

John

Back
Top Bottom