Garmin GPS III problem...help!

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
As some of you at Llangollen know my Garmin developed a fault and it is not picking up the sats. I just get the message "Acquiring Sats" and nothing else.

Have I missed something blindingly obvious or simple here? Has anyone else ever experienced problems with a Garmin and how did you get them resolved? Who did you contact?

Any help would be much appreciated...I can't function without my toys!

Mike

Mike,

Ian Underwood had a problem with his Garmin and sent it back to Garmin UK.
His GPS was returned a couple of weeks later with problem resolved and, there was no charge :):)

Mike,

The Garmin address is Unit 5, The Quadrangle, Abbey Park Industrial Estate, Romsey. Telephone : 01794 519944. They have a very helpful service/tech support department.

Chris:)

Garmin problem solved

Thanks for the advice from all who offered it.

I have now solved the problem....I left the unit in the car window all morning at work and eventually it managed to initialise itself and find out where it was located. I have no idea why or how it became deinitialised in the first place, but it obviously needed a lot of thinking time to itself to work out where it was!

Mike

Mike

I had exactly the same problem with my garmin III on the dashboard of the company car in Germany a few weeks ago..........I believe that it was due to the car phone antennae being in the windscreen, this blocked the signal somehow, because it works absolutely 100% in my own car velcroed (sounds like a Welsh village) to the dash.

Just a thought anyway.

Stu.:D

Other thing to watch out for with the III+ (and any other unit in that form factor) is that if you use the unit on the bike with batteries installed, the vibration of the bike causes a rapid connect/disconnect of the batteries which results in arcing which results in a carbon deposit being left on the terminals which blocks the power getting to the unit which turns the unit off... (Phew, can I breath now?)

I had this on my III and III+ and since I removed the batteries, its been fine.

I also found that the build quality of the III was lesser than that of the III+. I took the III to Labrador (North Eastern Canada) and the Trans Labrador Highway (300 miles of dirt road :D ) actually saw one of the solder points break & render the unit useless. - (Garmin replaced it by the way).

Dave

If you have the serial lead for the Garmin unit it is worth checking the Garmin website (www.garmin.com) for any updates for your specific unit. They bring out updates quite often and I found that they fix lots of bugs.

Cheers,

Back
Top Bottom