Samarkand & the silk road

Barley-Mow

Reaction score
Can anyone give me information about the roads through Khazakstan and Uzbekistan. I'm looking at the possibility of going to Samarkand via Novgorod, Moscow and Tashkent. That way I'd hope to avoid Belarus, Ukraine, Iran and the middle East. Distance wise I reckon something over 4,000 miles each way, time - wise about a month, 10 days each way travelling and 10 days there.

And what about border formalities, road conditions and availability of fuel ?

All recent information gratefully received - this is preliminary planning for 2013,

krygistan and uzbekistan are just starting to kick off.

route is simple enough, everything is available for a price.

have fun.

Can anyone give me information about the roads through Khazakstan and Uzbekistan. I'm looking at the possibility of going to Samarkand via Novgorod, Moscow and Tashkent. That way I'd hope to avoid Belarus, Ukraine, Iran and the middle East. Distance wise I reckon something over 4,000 miles each way, time - wise about a month, 10 days each way travelling and 10 days there.

And what about border formalities, road conditions and availability of fuel ?

All recent information gratefully received - this is preliminary planning for 2013,

Roads fine, fuel everywhere, border formalities patience and a sense of humour. The relevant bit of this blog might help.

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog/petcul/1/tpod.html

pm me with your tel. no. if there are any specific things you want to talk about. Good luck and enjoy.

Roads fine, fuel everywhere, border formalities patience and a sense of humour.

That about sums it up Peter:beerjug:

I didn't particularly enjoy Uzbekistan, perhaps it was the heat or the change in people/culture after leaving wonderful Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan but there's certainly some fantastic places to see......especially if you've already read 'The Great Game' :eek::D

Back
Top Bottom