Camping in Czech, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece & Poland

Stonker

Reaction score
What are the campsites like in these countries? I do normally prefer camping to hotels but I wonder what it's like in Eastern Europe

Stayed in couple camps in Czech Rep and Slovakia years ago. As this places are for people on lower budget (such as groups of school kids), expect basic facilities (hot water usually runs out in the evening). Some camps offer apart of the campground king of little cottages where you can stay, but as I understand from your post you prefer your own tent.
Other than that I dont think you'll have any major issues.

Romania - not many campsites and those that do exist are very low facilities. Dont recommend wild camping as we have a healthy bear population!!

In many rural areas you can get homestay type guesthouses for around 10 gbp (or less) a night - 20 if you include breakfast and full evening meal with copius amounts of local liquid refreshment. (and with safe bike parking!!! :) ) - much better experience!

Can give some good recommendations for the Saxon villages near Sighisoara...

Cheers chaps.

I had heard about the bears. My buddy reckons that they're brown bears that won't trouble humans but I don't really want to hang around to see what colour they are!

Do campsites have bear proof fences round or something?

I've not had any work for a few months so do want to keep the cost down but I actually enjoy my tent

In both Hungary and Romania there are lots of cheap and often very good "Panzió" (H) or "Cabana" (Ro), so I wouldn't bother with tents in those countries.

I've travelled extensively in both countries, sadly only by c*r, but in 95% of the case, the accommodations are great, and those 5% usually make very good stories afterwards... :thumb

Back
Top Bottom