Kosovo

smaytum

Reaction score
Has anyone one been into Kosovo recently?

What's the best boarder crossing?

Which country should I enter from?

Hi, I don't know if this'll help. It might be too late.

Anyway, we rode through Kosovo on the way back to the UK after coming through Albania and dipping into Greece and up through Macedonia. We stayed in Pristina overnight and needed to get to Belgrade the following day so headed due north up the E80 to Podujevo, expecting to get over at the border and pick up the road north from Nis to Belgrade.

The large queue at the border point was being dealt with in a fairly random way. Some cars and trucks were getting through, others were being turned back. We went up the front to find out what the score was and were told (by one of the Serb guards) it wasn't a legitimate border crossing and we had to go back through Pristina, cross into Macedonia and through the border point there. Apparently we wouldn't even be able to get through on the Leskovac road.

It was clearly a political thing, Serbia not recognising Kosovo etc but was being exercised in the sort of random way that suggested money might help. We tried to find out in a diplomatic sort of way but were told that there was no chance we'd get through. It took us several hours and a couple of hundred miles to back track and go via Skopje and up the E75 to get into Serbia.

Things may have changed now. You got the impression that it depended what day you turned up and what mood the guards were in.

Good luck.

Interesting to note that Ricardo- I changed my route in the end as couldn't get good information as to if it would be possible to cross from Kosovo in to Serbia.

Later I ran into a Polish group in Albania who had been turned back as they had Kosovo stamps in their passports..

This is helpful, thanks.

It confirms what the government say..

Since the introduction of Republic of Kosovo stamps, we are aware of incidents where foreign nationals, including those from the United Kingdom, have been denied entry to Serbia if they have these stamps in their passports, and the Serbian authorities may not allow you to travel into Serbia if you hold these stamps. We are also aware of isolated incidents where Serbian authorities have cancelled Kosovo stamps in passports of foreign nationals. Foreign nationals are less likely to experience entry problems if they travelled into Kosovo from Serbia and are returning via the same route, or are travelling via Albania, Macedonia or Montenegro.

Will likely hit Serbia first and collect a stamp in my passport. Might help on the way back.

I think it's the random nature of the incidents that irritates. It'll vary from border post to border post.

It's less important if you're on deadlines, bit of an adventure even, but if you have to get somewhere it can be a right pain in the arse.

Sorry if its too late but travelled through Kosovo last week.
I entered from Montenegro at Rozaje through a 10km corridor of Serbia into Kosovo.
The Serbian Border guard wanted to know where I was going? and I don't think he stamped me out of Serbia
The Kosovan guard was very friendly and didnt stamp my passport
I stayed the night in Pristina and continued on to Macedonia with a very easy crossing there.
No insurance for sale and I dont think any green card currently covers it so you just have to careful.
Many Montenegrans and most Serbs are in total denial about the existence of Kosovo
The mountain roads in Montenegro are some of the best I have seen anywhere

Well... On the trip :)

Rode Germany.. Austria... Slovenia... Croatia... Montenegro... And I'm currently in Albania in a town called Kukes near Kosovo. In the hotel America who have secure parking for bikes (which you be in this town).

One bike crash already :-( but nothing bad.

Life is good !

Well... On the trip :)

Rode Germany.. Austria... Slovenia... Croatia... Montenegro... And I'm currently in Albania in a town called Kukes near Kosovo. In the hotel America who have secure parking for bikes (which you be in this town).

One bike crash already :-( but nothing bad.

Life is good !

Did you have to pay to go between Croatia, Montenegro and Albania?

In Kosovo right now :)

Paul for insurance as follows...

- Croatia - did not pay because I forgot
- Montenegro 10€, but could have got in without
- Albania - no option. There was no place to buy insurance
- Kosovo - 15€ at the boarder and it was mandatory. They checked

In Pristina... Don't stay at the grand hotel.... Worst ever.

Also..

My mate had Carol Nash insurance for the world, but Kosovo would not accept this, because it listed Serbia and not Kosovo!

Kosovo also want to see insurance when leaving!

Bosnia want insurance and charged €21 at the boarder.

So I have paid €46 on insurance so far.

If you want to come from Kosovo to Serbia you need to have entered Kosovo from Serbia.
Insurance is available on most border crossings in the Balkans if it is required. However they might have to ring the local broker who will have to come out and sort it. So it might take some time depending on the time of day ect.

For info Serbia and the majority of the countries in the world do not recognise Kosovo as a seperate country.

I once thought I was having problems on a small Albanian crossing where there was along delay and lots of glances at me from the guards. I eventualy asked if there was aproblem and a very apologetic guard apologised and said they were sorry but the computer was down and they were very embarased.

Some times things are not what they seem!

In Kosovo right now :)

Paul for insurance as follows...

- Croatia - did not pay because I forgot
- Montenegro 10€, but could have got in without
- Albania - no option. There was no place to buy insurance
- Kosovo - 15€ at the boarder and it was mandatory. They checked

In Pristina... Don't stay at the grand hotel.... Worst ever.

Macedonia is €50 for minimum 15 days insurance which has to be bought at the border (unless you have a green card). They wont let you in without.

Macedonia is €50 for minimum 15 days insurance which has to be bought at the border (unless you have a green card). They wont let you in without.

€50 :blast wow thats a bit step, I would only need insurance for one day. I think I will try and enter, but have an alternitive route ready if they do try and fleace €50 out of me.

€50 :blast wow thats a bit step, I would only need insurance for one day. I think I will try and enter, but have an alternitive route ready if they do try and fleace €50 out of me.

You won't get in unless you buy it, and whatever you do don't try to skirt round back into Bulgaria. It's quicker to go all the way back up the motorway to Sofia then using that mountainous road.

Also..

My mate had Carol Nash insurance for the world, but Kosovo would not accept this, because it listed Serbia and not Kosovo!

I don't think it has to do anything what countries are listed, it's rather the fact that Kosova is not on the Green Card scheme yet. Everybody who enters Kosova with a vehicle has to pay insurance at the border, no green cards are accepted.
I believe there are some regional agreements, but unless you are using a vehicle registered in one of the bordering countries, you pay the insurance at the border.

cheers

Green card Kosovo

Was in the Balkan this spring.(Best part of Europe,for Bike)
Kosovo is not on the Green Card scheme yet,stil have to pay 15euro.

Back
Top Bottom