Some of the best roads in Europe - Hungary

nadeem

Travelled across France, Belgium, Germany, Austria & Hungary earlier this year (in the car) and the best roads were surprisingly in Hungary, they've been upgrading all their roads over the last two years...

122.jpg

Hi Chaps,

pardon my ignorance but what's good about that road? It's staight, flat, unlit, no cats eyes and there's sod all to look at. Basically looks like something in Norfolk!

Or am I missing something?

Regards

Reggie AKA The Cameraman

nadeem said:
Travelled across France, Belgium, Germany, Austria & Hungary earlier this year (in the car) and the best roads were surprisingly in Hungary, they've been upgrading all their roads over the last two years...

Hey Nadeem,

Thats one big image there 2.1Mb, nearly fell into it :yikes

I found Hungary to be a bit flat?

Quality of tarmac should not be the sole criteria of what is judged to be a good road?

Something like this is more my idea of a good road, taken in the French Alps on the way home from Budapest:
8479511-M.jpg

Or this in Italy on the same trip:
8446525-M.jpg

yep the alps are lovely all right, but there really was a lot of interesting scenery, villages to go through/look at in Hungary - once you get outside Budapest there's plenty to keep you occupied.

We rode to Hungary last year via; France, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia then back up through Slovenia into Hungary then back through Austria, Czech Republic, Germay and France.

I thought Hungary was a a bit boring, but we only rode across the the North East part of the country as we headed for Budapest, so probaby didn't see the best of it.

Slovenia was the biggest surprise of the trip. The scenery and roads up through the Julian Alps were stunning. Typical winding alpine roads lead up to narrow un-made tracks which branch off the roads and are perfect on a big traily. One particular road lead to a cafe at the highest point on a mountain pass above cloud level. We sat outside on a bench drinking coffee while small fluffy clouds drifted below....magic.

It was also a very cheap country to visit. We had a full service and a new rear tyre on the GS for under £200 in Ljubiana at an official BMW dealer.

Up in the mountains in Kefalonia. No traffic bloody wonderfull.

10953688-M.jpg

Back
Top Bottom