Newcastle Norway ferry

Did a job with Customs at the Newcastle Ferry Terminal a couple of months ago and asked about the Norway route, the port staff said there is very little chance of it coming off due to the state of the economy.
Its been bandied about since they stopped the service a few years back and hasn't happened yet !

Northlink ships are poor seaboats but fast. When P&O had the contract they had real ships on. We went to Norway or Denmark on the Norrona but after Shetland gave Smŷrll line £4 million to help them out they took Lervik off their route.:mad:

Newcastle to Norway

rodooo Has the direct ferry from Newcastle to Norway came back on?

No

Peter, in Oslo

No, Immingham to Brevik does take passengers if they have room.

Peter, in Oslo

Bear in mind you can book but stand a risk of being left behind should a truck (more revenue for the company) turn up.

Your firm options if you dont already know are either:

Harwich to Denmark via DFDS, then up to Hirshalls, ferry to Kristiansand or Larvic or Stravenger or up through Sweden.

Ferry/tunnel to France

Good luck!.

Harwich to Denmark via DFDS, then up to Hirshalls, ferry to Kristiansand or Larvic or Stravenger or up through Sweden.

Ferry/tunnel to France

The trouble with that option is that if you want to head up to the Arctic Circle or beyond, it'll add another 3 days to your trip each way. Fine if you've (now) got 3 weeks to spare, but if you've only got two, you're buggered! :1/10

The trouble with that option is that if you want to head up to the Arctic Circle or beyond, it'll add another 3 days to your trip each way. Fine if you've (now) got 3 weeks to spare, but if you've only got two, you're buggered! :1/10

But if you live 23 miles from Harwich..and I know I've got a booking:D

But if you live 23 miles from Harwich..and I know I've got a booking:D

Fair enough. Make that TWO extra days each way ........ at least! :D

When the Newcastle - Bergen ferry ran, I went there 3 times over a 4 year period, and would go back tomorrow if the service were resumed........

.....and I had the dosh
.........and the time!

I'm jealous as hell! Hope you have a fab time. :thumb

Does anyone know who to enquire with or were to register an interest in this ferry route.
I went last year and its an expensive pain in the arse traveling via Denmark or round by Sweden.

Just for info if anyone is planning a trip stay on the German side of the border with Denmark and travel up in one go, the hotels in euro land are half the price of Scandinavian ones.

Does anyone know who to enquire with or were to register an interest in this ferry route.
I went last year and its an expensive pain in the arse traveling via Denmark or round by Sweden.

Just for info if anyone is planning a trip stay on the German side of the border with Denmark and travel up in one go, the hotels in euro land are half the price of Scandinavian ones.

unless you own a freight company with a long contract to deliver goods to and from UK/Norway - I think you will be wasting your time.

An e-mail from a motorcyclist planning one trip a year (maybe) - will do nothing.

Al

See post #14 above. My understanding is that the ferry won't be reinstated until there is sufficient freight interest to make it viable.

Back
Top Bottom