Ultimate Ear: shocking customer service

PaulinBont

Reaction score
Bought a pair of Ultimate Ear earphones with built-in speakers at the NEC.
Brilliant until they stopped working!
Returned under warranty to Ultimate Ear who refused to honour the warranty as the defect "was caused by ear wax" !!!!!!!
Surely it is not reasonable for in-ear earphones to be adversely affected by ear wax as one would expect ear wax to be present in the ear ?

First they blamed the ear wax but following my protestation, they changed their story and spuriously claimed that the defect was not repairable under warranty but would be sorted after I made a 'goodwill payment' ???

I tried cleaning them with the tool supplied before returning them.

Despite several emails, they have refused to budge and now I am seeking redress through the Small Claims Court.

The mind boggles as to why a 'reputable' company would risk adverse publicity as a result of such shoddy customer service. They are now refusing to return the earphones even though they are my property.

Will keep you posted on the progress of this matter through the County Court but please consider alternative manufacturers before purchasing a product from Ultimate Ear.

Surely they're obliged to return them to you? Either that or your money?

I've never owned a pair of these (I did sit opposite the stand at the show eating a 'burger' watching them work)

I have only heard of them being nothing short of excellent. Very curious indeed.

As is usual with these things, there's bound to be a crucial element (from either perspective) that we're yet to hear!

Not sure of exactly who it was...but a few years ago I contacted a supplier of earplugs (who had been highly recommended by people on this forum) and they repeated their publicaly stated claims that the ear plugs had been 'tested to 80mph'.

When I asked for specifics regarding the 'test' some bloke said that he had 'stuck his head out of the window of a car doing 80mph' and he had judged the noise reduction been wearing plugs and not wearing them at about 80% - which then became the basis for all their advertising.

Perhaps this device should be included within there packaging in future......:D

Attachments

• 17064.jpg
    17064.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 1,840
You aren't the only one....

Mine are shite, had to repair the cable myself this time, previously repaired twice by Ultimate, the bloody soft rubber cable splits open along its length from the earpiece down.

Next time they fail they are getting binned.

A mate has a pair from Headset Services in Shoreham, he bought his about a year before mine and has never had any problems with them because his are reinforced where the cable enters the moulded earplug.

Ear plug customer service

I got my in ear monitors from Minerva - and am 100% happy. I had a problem with a blocked speaker (earwax!!!!) and Minerva sorted out immediately. the plugs attenuate the outside noise and I can listed to mp3 or telephone at a normal listening level. very comfortable to wear.

I got my in ear monitors from Minerva - and am 100% happy. I had a problem with a blocked speaker (earwax!!!!) and Minerva sorted out immediately. the plugs attenuate the outside noise and I can listed to mp3 or telephone at a normal listening level. very comfortable to wear.

Should have gone with them, thanks for that will give them a bell in the New Year. Can't believe how Ultimate Ear are using every excuse in the book to avoid repairing the monitors.

I have to say, got three pairs of plugs from ultimate, normal plugs, swimmers an monitors.

My monitors must be several years old now and still going strong, used a lot on the bike, for running and in the gym and generally abused. If anything they are too good at blocking out background noise as cant hear anyone saying anything to me in the gym. Cables slightly worn, but nothing a bit of insulation tape hasn't sorted.

Mine are shite, had to repair the cable myself this time, previously repaired twice by Ultimate, the bloody soft rubber cable splits open along its length from the earpiece down.

my mate has had exactly the same problem, has def put me off them. I'll stick to my autocom headset in the helmet and my normal made to measure plugs. Less fussy wiring too.

the speaker cable on mine have broken on both plugs where it enters the plug. TBH the wiring feels quite cheap. I have to send them back for repair but im not keen on some reports of the wire just being spliced in.

Back
Top Bottom