Servoectomy....is it going to hurt doctor?

Redsprocket

Reaction score
It seem's from the forum that the servo ABS gremlins have been busy the last few weeks....

I read the posts and think well mine seems ok.........;)

I have an 03 1150 GSA.

So..... started the winter service and adding the latest farkles, and turn on the ignition to check I'd put the front indicators back on correctly, and the bloody light flashes at 4hz and won't go out, and the servo isn't making a noise when the rear brake lever is pressed...:blast

Now, yes the battery may not be at its best as i don't use the bike everyday :rolleyes:, but its been on an Optimate, so seems fine, and the rear brake bulb looks ok, so bugger it must be the servo :blast:blast

So my question is having read the excellent sticky post on the servoectomy has anyone who's done it any additional tips, photos etc that could help, or is there anyone in the lincolnshire area who's done it that I could an come at look at, or, is it as straight forward as it looks?

Anyhow, any advice is appreciated :thumb

Leave the engine off, kneel near the foot brake lever and see if you can hear the microswitch click when you operate it...it is a small sound, but should be quite distinct.

The switch can pretty easily get shitted up...a bit of a squirt of brake cleaner can often cure it, but make sure you follow up with some Lube after.

Had the same on my '04 recently, it was the front brake lever contacting the hand guard.

No not that either.....:blast

I take the point on cleaning all the sensors etc though, so I'll do that first before moving on to removal of parts....

Thanks for the advice :beerjug:

Neil (Steptoe) also did a thread on renovating the ABS unit (I presume you were referring to his article on removing the ABS in the first post?), which apparently cures most 'failures'....I'm pretty sure it's in the Font of all wisdom section.

Did the complete removal on my K1100LT this morning, didn't mess around, paper towels to collect any drips of brake fluid and a small pair of bolts croppers on the pipes. Three bolts holding the abs/servo unit in. Was all in the bid in less than an hour. Just need to sort out a couple of new brake lines now.:D

Neil (Steptoe) also did a thread on renovating the ABS unit (I presume you were referring to his article on removing the ABS in the first post?), which apparently cures most 'failures'....I'm pretty sure it's in the Font of all wisdom section.

Hi, I've not seen the renovating thread, I'll search now for it, thanks. I've read the removal thread from Steptoe.

I've never liked the servo, as having poor brakes when you move the bike around with no ignition on, always seemed a disaster waiting to happen :eek
However I wouldn't remove it if it was working fine...

Get rid of it if there's a problem. Enjoy progressive, easy to use brakes that work at a standstill, and no self check shenanigans. Best Farkle I've done!

Did the complete removal on my K1100LT this morning, didn't mess around, paper towels to collect any drips of brake fluid and a small pair of bolts croppers on the pipes. Three bolts holding the abs/servo unit in. Was all in the bid in less than an hour. Just need to sort out a couple of new brake lines now.:D

A K1100 has never had servo brakes.

All you've removed is an abs unit, which requires one spaner :D.

A very very simple job compared to a servo removal.

Neil,Hey..... it had to be simple.... if it was me doing it:D

servo/ABS

I followed the instructions by Dave H. on this forum last year and completeley removed the servo/ABS unit. best thing ive done. the bike is much safer to ride and the brakes have got some feel to them, the only cost was a bit of brake fluid. BMW R850R. 2003. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom