Carburetter, Evo's ?

I have a "new" CV carb on my Glide.. It has been set up properly by an independent.

In this colder weather I reckon it takes 2-3 minutes to settle down, popping and stalling etc.

Treat it gently till warm.. 2-3 miles at least then it runs a dream.

So, in my experience yes... A bastard when cold...

I find all my Harley's have (and still do) take a little while to warm up Evo and later...with S&S and standard carbs...it's part of the experience..I was told...a while ago, the correct procedure for starting off on a Harley is as follows...

Full choke, "pump" the throttle a couple of times the leave it closed ....fire her up...whirr..clunk...broom....then leave her ticking over on the side stand whilst you smoke a cigarette...then and only then..easy the choke down a notch..pull in clutch...count to 5 then engage first.....

I took up smoking especially.....

Interesting, I was also told "pump twice" no throttle on the button!!...seems to work..

My issue is the resistance part of the choke has stopped resisting.:D

So I have to sit and hold it out !!... I'll put it on the list...

Ok, whilst we are on Carbs.... petrol...do you run 95 or 97 ?? I run 97 and seems to really make a difference...

Pump this, pull that, tweak the other, stand on one leg for half hour. Fuck all that, buy a Twin Cam – Job done.
:hide

my carb'd evo was terrible when i bought it - but a little fiddling has it pretty good now.

get it nice n warm and then adjust the idle mixture fully screwed in - i think my carb is worn - idles nicely now when hot.

it also warms up quicker - less popping and banging

i give mine full choke and 5 pumps on the throttle - let it idle for 20 sec and its away.

My issue is the resistance part of the choke has stopped resisting.:D

So I have to sit and hold it out !!... I'll put it on the list...

Piece of piss to adjust. There's a plastic nut and lock nut on the back side of the bracket the choke cable's mounted on. Just slacken and adjust:thumb2

Piece of piss to adjust. There's a plastic nut and lock nut on the back side of the bracket the choke cable's mounted on. Just slacken and adjust:thumb2

Thanks Dave ... I'll sort over the weekend:thumb

slow warmup

My 95 Ultra takes an age to warm up enough to shut the choke off completely,(5 mins / a mile) but needs it partly shut quite soon after starting. Probably the weak mixtures they are set up with. However it is quite economical at 55mpg and runs OK once warm so I am happy to leave it as is.
As Steptoe I generally do not use it in the cold, its not been taxed/MOTd yet this year.

Ive ordered new plugs, leads and a air filter but where should i go for a carb rebuild kit ?

just a thought but if it runs rough, when warmed up, have you checked for carb icing in this weather, I always use fuel adative in this weather, makes a hell of a difference to the running.

just a thought but if it runs rough, when warmed up, have you checked for carb icing in this weather, I always use fuel adative in this weather, makes a hell of a difference to the running.

My mate who used to work for HD says HD recommend fuel additive in cold weather :nenau

Back
Top Bottom