Another Final Drive question bearing fail ?

Denz0

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all
I'm new to gs this is my first bike with drive shaft
My question is
Is this normal
wen driving 20 - 30 mph I"m pulling the clutch and turn left and right just like you would worm your tyres
What I can fill on the pegs is like grinding(small vibration ) but only wen bike is in lining position and no noise wen I'm riding upright
Any help will be appreciated

Hi all
I'm new to gs this is my first bike with drive shaft
My question is
Is this normal
wen driving 20 - 30 mph I"m pulling the clutch and turn left and right just like you would worm your tyres
What I can fill on the pegs is like grinding(small vibration ) but only wen bike is in lining position and no noise wen I'm riding upright
Any help will be appreciated

It sounds like tyres to me.:rob

Trail style tyres do this. Try some different pressures.

Apart from feeling a bit more direct the paralever shaft drive should not feel any different to a chain. The rear wheel bearing is easy to check. Any lateral movement at the rim means problems are on the way.

This says the max is 3mm http://ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300704&highlight=rear+wheel+play&page=2

Personally I would be looking at fitting a new bearing(s) before its that much.

Nasties

Just flog it very quick!

Trail style tyres do this. Try some different pressures.

Apart from feeling a bit more direct the paralever shaft drive should not feel any different to a chain. The rear wheel bearing is easy to check. Any lateral movement at the rim means problems are on the way.

This says the max is 3mm http://ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300704&highlight=rear+wheel+play&page=2

Personally I would be looking at fitting a new bearing(s) before its that much.

Unless things have changed, its 1mm max at the rim

With bike on the centre stand, grip the frame with one hand and spin the wheel with the other. You shouldn't be able to feel any grinding through the frame :thumb2

With bike on the centre stand, grip the frame with one hand and spin the wheel with the other. You shouldn't be able to feel any grinding through the frame :thumb2

I'll check this wen I get back from work
Thanks to all

These bikes corner like nothing else so no excuse for squaring off the tyres. Take it for a few quick rides on some bendy roads. The corners will soon rub off the tyres.

No movment on the bearing probably squere tyres :blast
Running on Metzler tourance exp at 2.5 bar rear and 2.3 bar front
going for a spin :roll

I semi trail tyres at 2.5 and 2.9 bar (36/42psi) with no handling problems, but run softer I can feel the tread roughness especially at the front.

My brother recently bought a GSA that probably saw only motorways all its life. The back has rounded off nicely with some "proper" riding.

I noticed exactly same behaviour as OP on my 2600 mile GSA and spent a few hours worrying about FD bearings etc. I did a 300 mile trip the other day with fair chunk of motorway and reckon this has partially squared off the original conti.s.
So I readjusted the tyre pressures did a lot of side to side swerving on quiet roads and improved the vibration significantly. It's now only noticeable on very smooth roads and the fact that it's surface dependent points firmly in the direction of tyres. Just putting this on the end of this thread in case it helps others doing a nervy FD search in my footsteps

Back
Top Bottom