Iran travel

Richie B

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone ridden to / through Iran ? if you went through wear did you cross the borders ? how difficult was it ? were bribes involved ? how safe did you feel ?

sorry for all the questions , just trying to get some hands on information .

I am thinking about crossing from Turkmenistan to Azerbaijan keeping close to the Caspian Sea.

cheers Rich

Go to the FCO web site, in particular the foreign travel section.

We crossed in to Iran from Turkey at Orumiyeh (I think it was) no problems. Took 2 3/4 hours to get the Visas, Carnets all stamped up. No bribes, no hassles, the police and customs were delighted to help us. A very warm welcome indeed. Kept getting us cold water from the vending machines :thumb

The people of Iran were very warm hearted and really interested in us. We had numerous offers of accommodation given, some of them we took up. They hate their government and really extended the hand of friendship to us.

Lovely people :thumb2

Blog here :blagblah

How different it was in feckin' Pakistan :eek:

:beerjug:

Lived there for 2 years

3 months on, 3 months off.
Went as project manager on a water treatment plant.
(23 years ago)
Went to Ayatollah Kohemnei's funeral. That was an experience.
Really enjoyed myself over those years.
The thing I miss most is Islamic beer. (Non Alcoholic) I am teetotal, but really loved the taste of what they brewed there.
People are nice, and friendly.
If you can get in, total recomendation.
If entering the country, remember the currency is non-convertable.
You are supposed to declare all currency on your person on arrival in country, and only change at government approved places, where you will be issued with a receipt. When you leave, this will be compared with your declared currency on the way in, and woe betide you if they don't tally.
Smuggle in the majority of your Pounds/Dollars, change illegally, and you can travel through the country for almost nothing.
Government official exchange rate makes the country the most expensive country you will ever visit instead of one of the cheapest.
Myke

Go to the FCO web site, in particular the foreign travel section.

And then ignore them... take what the FCO say with a huge pinch of salt.

I suggest you start with a general search on the Horizons Unlimited website, then post your question in the Hubb, join an Iranian HU community, of which there are 6 (don't know how active they are), so that you can ask the locals and the people that have actually been there and been there recently.

Iran HU Communities said:
  1. Esfahan, Esfahan Province
  2. Gonbad Kavoos, (Gonbad-e Qābūs) Golestan Province
  3. Qazvin
  4. Tabriz
  5. Tehran
  6. Toudeshg (Toudeshk)

More HU info on Iran here.

Bon Voyage comrade.

:thumb

Easiest border for cross into Iran.

Anyone ridden to / through Iran ? if you went through wear did you cross the borders ? how difficult was it ? were bribes involved ? how safe did you feel ?

cheers Rich

Hello
Regarding your question my answer is : There are 3 borders between Turkey and Iran

1-Dogubayazit/Bazargan
2-Kapikoy/Razi
3-Esendere/Sero(Highly recommended)

So,two of them are more usual except Kapikoy/Razi,because of my experiences i suggest crossing at Esendere/Sero border which is easy to cross and with no hassles compare to Dogubayazit/Bazargan.
With the best wishes
Hossein :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom