Just brought a 883 Sportster-how boring!

dod

Reaction score
Some years ago I had a replica 59 XLCH built up from a 59 XLH had a stroked 1100 engine and some early evo and late iron metalwork. Sold it after I did my back in.

I have just brought a 05 883 Sportster with the intention of making is look like an early 60's XLCH, a much softer starting point than last time- electric start, rubber/carb engine.
A few bolt-on bits will alter the appearance to some extent back to the 60's- solo bouncy seat, fork gaiters, round air cleaner, earlier front mudguard, shrouded shocks. The exhaust will remain visually standard, now the balance pipe has gone it looks more like the older style. Cannot do the high level exhaust on the moderns as the oil tank fills the frame where the pipe used to go and the battery is where the oil tank was!

A question are there any other UK Harley websites/forum other than HDRCGB and HOG chapter sites.

Attachments

• XLCH 59.jpg
    XLCH 59.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,142
  • sportster XLCH 05.jpg
    sportster XLCH 05.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,215
Plenty of sporty fans here.....as for other web sites... None of any consequence....IMO..

other UK HD sites

Looking for ideas, what others have done and techie stuff (something deeper than the type of tassels) on evo Sportsters, what fits what, what is interchangeable from pre and post 2004 and 2008,
Although not into chop/bobbing those sites often give leads into 'how to do it'.
Have had some leads from US sites but the suggestion of widgets from Ace are not that useful here.
Thanks for suggestions so far.

other harley sites

I had found xlforum useful, I notice the bouncy solo seat contributor was from UK http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1609577
and someone was doing a XL tourer replica http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?t=1533071.
They do seem to cover most types.
Bike now has all the pillion bits removed, pillion footrest mounts weigh a ton, suppose it help to lower the CG!
As for tassels, add weight and not aerodynamic, only useful to determine the airflow around rider and bike which you already know is c--p.

Everything you need to know will be available through the HDRCGB but 90% of the club don't goon the site. Why not come along to the Region 25 meet on the third Sunday of the month in Tewkesbury. I guarantee plenty of expertise on Sportsters there, just ask for Steve (Hawgste). :thumb2

Looking for ideas, what others have done and techie stuff (something deeper than the type of tassels) on evo Sportsters, what fits what, what is interchangeable from pre and post 2004 and 2008,
Although not into chop/bobbing those sites often give leads into 'how to do it'.
Have had some leads from US sites but the suggestion of widgets from Ace are not that useful here.
Thanks for suggestions so far.

Nothing wrong with tassels as long as they're attached to the correct nipple!:rob

progress- a bit!

well it has all the pillion bits removed-pad, sissy bar, footrests and the following fitted:-

Fatboy bars, far more comfortable than buckhorns, for me.
Earlier front guard~ 1975? early guard stays foul the brake caliper, XLForum suggest they are a straight fit but not quite at the mounting bolts rub the modern wider tyre so a few holes in the bracket later and it fits.

Tried but not used
Circular air cleaner, decided it stuck out too much and looked too deep, the one I had did not envelop the carb like the original or the older style round ones.
Sprung seat sits too high at the height I want to fit it and makes the back look 'wrong', if mounted low it looks OK but for me gives too cramped a riding position, so now looking at modifying a standard solo seat, adding height so it looks more like the slightly later XLCH see attachment
Have some SE silencers but they are off a Softail, they fit, after making up some brackets to fit the existing mounts and sound OK for me not too loud, acceptable in town but the heat shields need cutting to fit them so must find a set of downpipe shields to cut, want to keep my originals intact

Thoughts
The modern bike is not going to look as 'cobbly' as the original the smaller back wheel and fatter front and rear tyres make it look (is) lower and longer.
No doubt larger diameter rear wheel could be fitted and slimmer tyres but that is moving away from bolt-on.
Thinking about a low rear number plate using LED mounting bolts to illuminate the plate but cannot get the original bracket off at the moment as the nuts have seized on the crosshead screws.

Attachments

• XLCH 61.jpg
    XLCH 61.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 792
harley-davidson-sportster-a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom