Setting up a new Zumo 660

Pukmeister

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Having read some tales of frustration on here with Zumo 660's and upgrades, base camp versus Mapsource etc, can anyone advise the best way to set up a brand new unit and avoid pitfalls later on with upgrades, map installs etc.

I'd prefer to get it right first time if I can.

Many thanks.

TBH most of the issues I had were caused by a dodgy zumo 660 which would were resolved by garmin replacing the unit!

biggest issue remaining is the clunky way mapsource routes have to be grouped to download into zumo, but really once you have done this the first time its a doddle. mapsource, itself of course is sh*t and possibly the most user unfriendly, non intuitive piece of cr*p software out there, although from what i read on here basecamp is not far behind!!
setting up zumo to your preferred way of working depends on what you are used to with your old gpsr, the zumo isnt bad to set up, read the manual and decide which features you want and skip the rest!
updates from garmin through their website...well, once you have set up your account, currently you have a thing called garmin express which is supposed to update maps and zumo firmware, but I have had to use an alternative where instructions supplied by garmin allow updates to maps (I bought the lifetime map updates and the garmin account tells me when an update is available)

enjoy tinkering:D

Thanks Russ, I had a BMW Nav2 years ago that ran Mapsource and I didn't find it user-friendly either but if I can do basic route planning for the Zumo and share routes with others that's all I really need.

Back
Top Bottom