Thinking of an R1150RT or should I get standard GS

Bikergary

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi Huys

Currently ride a R1150GSA which I love (although a bit tall) but I know I'm wearing it out with long comutes in crappy weather ( corrosion & £130K)

So I'm thinking of an R1150RT as an additional Bike

Anything I should be aware of, only concern was that I am used to the wide handlebars of a GSA can the RT be modified,

or those in the know, would a standard R1150GS be better???

RT

Hi

I have an 1100 RT much the same bike as the 1150 and a GS. They are very different bikes, I use my RT for mainly long days out two up and they are excellent for this, very comfortable and versatile with the electric screen.

The GS is my go anywhere bike and you already know the virtues of these. Interesting that you are worried about racking up the miles on your GS because that is exactly why I bought my RT 3 years ago. I only have 60.000 miles on my GS however that is the most I have ever put on a single bike therefore I am in unknown territory.

Have you had any problems with your GS, things will wear out and this is to be expected and then you have to think about the cost of repair against renewal.

Anyway you will not be disappointed with an RT but just bare in mind that they are different.

Hi, I had a similar dilemma and bought a RT for work, never really got round to using it and now sold as retired, however it's a good long distance tool, esp in crappy weather and if you have BMW insurance just £10 to add to policy. Cheers:beerjug:John B

if you want weather protection then the RT is your boy, if you leave the panniers off its no wider than a GS , and with them on its more than adequate for carrying capacity, I've had an RT1100 for about 8 years and have yet to find a convincing reason to replace it.the only 1150 I've had for any length of time was a loaner R1150, the most noticeable difference was the cold! (it was around freezing and raining/sleeting) the RT was waaaaay!! warmer than the R, and I would guess the GS is going to be closer to the R than the RT , so for a commuting bike I would expect it to be fine.

Thanks guys, sounds pretty much like I thought so think an rt will join the family.

Another question, how can i tell the difference between standard abs and servo brakes which I definitely don't want.

The 1150RT only came with linked servo'd brakes. The early ones I found to be quite savage. Being linked, the front brake will start to operate as you depress the rear brake lever. It's okay if that's what you're used to but no so much fun when you're doing a feet up 90 degree turn on full lock as you thread your way through traffic on your winter commute...

All come with servo brakes???
I'm not used to servo or linked brakes, my concern is 1st how well does it brake with engine off ie moving it around, and how reliable is it, the second is can it be removed to conventional brakes?

So does that mean if it has abs then it's servo assisted and non abs is conenvional? It's good to know what I'm looking for

So does that mean if it has abs then it's servo assisted and non abs is conenvional? It's good to know what I'm looking for

It only came as standard with Servo linked with ABS but due to lots of problems with the servo many have been removed. I had no problems with it without, hate the servo on my GS on the slow stuff :(

All come with servo brakes???
I'm not used to servo or linked brakes, my concern is 1st how well does it brake with engine off ie moving it around, and how reliable is it, the second is can it be removed to conventional brakes?
theres still plenty of 11's around with sensible ABS :D

Had thought about the 1100 but don't like the lookof the front headlight :) also used to the 1150gs and spares so makes sense for 1150 .... Oh and dido mention the headlight lol

Had thought about the 1100 but don't like the lookof the front headlight :) also used to the 1150gs and spares so makes sense for 1150 .... Oh and dido mention the headlight lol
you can't see it when you are on it, it also doesn't have the "leakalot" clutch slave cylinder, or the "I'mintoohighagearbecauseIhave6ofthem" surging issue,s and the ABS just works, as do the brakes ignition on or off :aidan :D:D

Thanks for all your imput,
Just bought a 2002 R1150RT which has already had the Servo & ABS removed :)

Thanks for all your imput,
Just bought a 2002 R1150RT which has already had the Servo & ABS removed :)

I have a 2004 r1150rt mine gonna remove my abs when I stripped it already been done , and its less things to go wrong as well doing the swiss alps next year I am.:bounce1

only one question are there alternative handlebars that fit these? I'm used to lower, wider and slightly more forward bars?

only one question are there alternative handlebars that fit these? I'm used to lower, wider and slightly more forward bars?
learn to get used to the standard bars :pullface:D you can get conversions to standard tubular bars made, but Herr Beemer spent a lot of time on getting the bars where he wanted them and lower bars will normally mean resiting the pegs, and may make a very comfortable bike into a back breaker,bike ergonomics can get involved, there's plenty of that sort of bike around, no need to go to any trouble and expense in making another :p you could look at the RS that sounds more like what you are after

Actually the handlebars aren't too bad, now got used to it, however the one only thing I am struggling with is turning the damn thing, it just doesn't seam to want to drop into corners / roundabouts seam to have to fight it in and if not carefull runs wide....
Any suggestions on how to get it to drop in easier?

Actually the handlebars aren't too bad, now got used to it, however the one only thing I am struggling with is turning the damn thing, it just doesn't seam to want to drop into corners / roundabouts seam to have to fight it in and if not carefull runs wide....
Any suggestions on how to get it to drop in easier?
check the tyre pressures, and look for cupping on the front (although that usually makes them drop into corners) are you using countersteering? the RT is a very stable beast as befits a tourer which may get used for many hours a day, it is not as agile (read unstable :p ) as a sportsbike, it can handle extremely well but does require a positive hand, gear,speed and position are everything for getting an RT around a corner smoothly. be positive with steering inputs and get lots of practice :D PS you are almost never as far over as the bulk of the RT would make you believe :D

Back
Top Bottom