Thinking of an R1150RT or should I get standard GS

Actually the handlebars aren't too bad, now got used to it, however the one only thing I am struggling with is turning the damn thing, it just doesn't seam to want to drop into corners / roundabouts seam to have to fight it in and if not carefull runs wide....
Any suggestions on how to get it to drop in easier?

I fitted Michelin Pilot road 3,s on my 1200RT:D,made the world of difference.

Yes do counter stear and thats hard work as it want's to go straight, have checked tyre pressures as in the book, though have seen people mention it stears easier with higher pressures so will have a play with that.

Don't want to change tyres yet as the ones on it are reasonabbly new

Don't expect it to handle or flick into corners the same as the gs, but is bit worrying when having to fight it soo much just to get it round a roundabout

Actually the handlebars aren't too bad, now got used to it, however the one only thing I am struggling with is turning the damn thing, it just doesn't seam to want to drop into corners / roundabouts seam to have to fight it in and if not carefull runs wide....
Any suggestions on how to get it to drop in easier?

Sorry if I've missed it, but what tyres & how many miles ? And what pressures are you currently using ?

Hi,
There BT020 running at book pressures which I think from memory are 32f 36r, as for miles, bike done 35k, miles i'm doing vary from 20 - 100 miles per ride

Hi,
There BT020 running at book pressures which I think from memory are 32f 36r, as for miles, bike done 35k, miles i'm doing vary from 20 - 100 miles per ride
pressures sound low and the tyres sound very old! can't remember when the 020's were superceded, tyres can go off even though they have plenty of tread.how much preload have you got on the back shock? and is the preload oil level OK? you can refill if low, Google should bring up some pages on it. Do you know anyone with experience of the model who could check it out for you ?

Hi,

IMHO there's your problem.

Try Conti RoadAttack, Michelin Pilot Road 3's or my favourite, Dunlop Roadsmart 2.

Try 36psi Front, 42 Rear.

I'm sure you'll find you suddenly own a different bike.

Thanks for that, I'll keep using these tyres for now as they are reasonabbly new but will change tyre pressure and give that a go.
Thanks for all your advise

IMHO there's your problem.

Try Conti RoadAttack, Michelin Pilot Road 3's or my favourite, Dunlop Roadsmart 2.

Try 36psi Front, 42 Rear.

I'm sure you'll find you suddenly own a different bike.

I had the same issue with mine (now sold). Up'd the tyre pressures which made a very positive difference. :thumb2

Thanks for that, I'll keep using these tyres for now as they are reasonabbly new but will change tyre pressure and give that a go.
Thanks for all your advise

So how are you getting on ?

Hi,

Uped the tyre pressures to F35 x R42 made a huge differance, I feel like im incontrol of the bike :)

Hi,

Uped the tyre pressures to F35 x R42 made a huge differance, I feel like im incontrol of the bike :)

You'll find that most modern road bikes with radials are 36-42... The old "adjust for load and pillion stuff was more cross ply/bias belt and I often used a middle line anyway... RT's with the right front tyres... Not too "round" in profile, steer pretty quickly, but conversely, on the wrong tyre can be dog slow... When they were a new model it was Bridgestones as quickest steering but obviously things may have moved on a bit since then...

Go for the Gs ... I'm picking mine up in a couple of hours !

Go for the Gs ... I'm picking mine up in a couple of hours !

Already have a GSA, currently done 135k miles so want to take off the road over winter and refurbish it, so decided RT for the winter riding :)

PS you'll love the GS, riden mine every day and just can't part with it, just these last 4 winters have taken it's toll..... ruddy salt LOL

I had a 2003 1150RT which I did 65k on. It was a great bike to ride but watch out for problems with the ABS unit ((a known fault) that causes the bike to go into residual braking mode for no reason. Only cure is new (£1400) or used (£300 if you can find one that works) ABS pump or ABS-ectomy. See if you can get any info from the vendor of what the history is and whether any work has been done on the braking system.
Second issue to look for is worn throttle body butterflies. They make the engine rattlly and hard to balance the cylinders.
Other than that, the only other stuff I had was maintenance and usual wear and tear. Great bike, and very comfy and the riding position is nice and quiet and keeps you dry in the rain.

P

The 1st thing I checked for was the ABS /Servo and this one I bought has had it all removed so using the standard braking system... which I prefere.
As for TB, aware of this, my GS rattles like mad but will get replaced over winter :)

Just hopeing I can keep this a lot cleaner than the GS which is badly corroded around the engine,

Back
Top Bottom