F800GS New clutch required..

Hi,

I may be in a similar boat but with my 2008 F650GS Twin. I've had a look at EBC clutch kits to see if they do the discs for my model and year but it doesn't look like it? Does anybody know of any other companies who do? Or is it BMW only?

Reading another thread about someone having fibre ones got me all excited when he was describing how easier it was to work on tighter turns and in lower gears. ;)

Cheers,
Lab.

Its 2009, 27, 000 miles. To be honest the way I feel I won't be buying a BMW again. Also their labour charge is plain greedy nearly £100 per hour. I'm assuming its outside warranty as that's just 2 years? Any other option for parts? Or is it just BMW?

I went for a ride sunday and thought the clutch was starting to slip slightly, I'm on 11000 miles :eek I do ride quite a bit off road, on mine,there seems there's a gap in the power band low down which results in me feathering the clutch on tricky stuff, on another note I fried a clutch on a crf 250 l on less than 4000 honda would not replace the clutch under warranty, they said it was a consumable, and not covered by warranty, the clutch with fitting was 240 quid fitted .

I've got the help of Oval Motorcycle Centre to assess it for me. It looks like it. -Revs getting faster than the bike moves from stationary. Clutch cable's been adjusted but before the guys could really test it, they found I've got shark-finned front sprockets. So, that first before they can really test out the clutch.

In the meantime, if anyone can save me having to pay about £216 for OEM and provide other manufacturers, I'd be grateful. So far, I've only found TRW on AJ Sutton:-
https://www.ajsutton.co.uk/product/trw/738.16.35/clutch%20fibre%20and%20steel%20plates%20trw/lucas,,%20f650gs,%20f650cs?uID=0

I've no idea about reliability with TRW and I don't even know if the above is an accurate listing for the Twin! I'm just doing some research first just in case.

Thanks,
Lab.

I've got the help of Oval Motorcycle Centre to assess it for me. It looks like it. -Revs getting faster than the bike moves from stationary. Clutch cable's been adjusted but before the guys could really test it, they found I've got shark-finned front sprockets. So, that first before they can really test out the clutch.

In the meantime, if anyone can save me having to pay about £216 for OEM and provide other manufacturers, I'd be grateful. So far, I've only found TRW on AJ Sutton:-
https://www.ajsutton.co.uk/product/trw/738.16.35/clutch%20fibre%20and%20steel%20plates%20trw/lucas,,%20f650gs,%20f650cs?uID=0

I've no idea about reliability with TRW and I don't even know if the above is an accurate listing for the Twin! I'm just doing some research first just in case.

Thanks,
Lab.

I dont think thats the clutch for the twin the years look wrong

Thanks, man :) I was just thinking that's quite a varied distribution of years and models!! :D
Can no-one think of any other manufacturers I might want to try and look at? I'm new to biking so I only know a handful of manufacturers/brands.

Surely, this can't be a BMW-proprietary-only product??

Cheers.

Same here...

I was told my 800 needs a new clutch on its recent 12K service!

I've asked my dealer for a price for a replacement, twice, and am still waiting!!!

It's not slipping, yet, but there's no more play in the cable.

Thanks, man :) I was just thinking that's quite a varied distribution of years and models!! :D
Can no-one think of any other manufacturers I might want to try and look at? I'm new to biking so I only know a handful of manufacturers/brands.

Surely, this can't be a BMW-proprietary-only product??

Cheers.

Have you got plenty of free play at the lever of its to tight it will slip

For me, it's been adjusted and the engineers at Oval were just about to test it when they discovered the loose chain and shark-finned front sprocket. Once the new chain and sprocket's on, they'll test the clutch for slip. -My guess is they guys stopped out of safety, out of a fair test (and it is about time I changed that chain tbh ;) ). I'm guessing....we figure it's best to do it this way before unnecessarily ordering parts. So again, I won't know until then.

All I need right now, are various makes/manufacturers for clutch discs/kits for the F650 GS Twin, bookmarked so that when (or if in the future) the time comes, I can simply go to that page and order it.

For me, it's been adjusted and the engineers at Oval were just about to test it when they discovered the loose chain and shark-finned front sprocket. Once the new chain and sprocket's on, they'll test the clutch for slip. -My guess is they guys stopped out of safety, out of a fair test (and it is about time I changed that chain tbh ;) ). I'm guessing....we figure it's best to do it this way before unnecessarily ordering parts. So again, I won't know until then.

All I need right now, are various makes/manufacturers for clutch discs/kits for the F650 GS Twin, bookmarked so that when (or if in the future) the time comes, I can simply go to that page and order it.

Ebay item number 281354674101 might be worth a phone call used but low mileage

Hallo,
I regognize the problem. A mate of mine had a f650gs, his clutch wore out very quickly. the mechanic found out that the pin that slides through the the bore in the clutch housing was too tight. the clutch slipped constantly a little bit. Taking the pin out and having it made thinner by a few 100ths of a mm solved the problem. We own 2 f650gs-es, had to adjust clutch once at 5000km, now on 40.000km, NEVER had to adjust again.
Hope this helps, greetz, hans

Back
Top Bottom