Val D'Aran devastated

iainnic

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just had to re plan based on the past few days weather and storms in the Val D'Aran region

If you've missed it on the news, there's been horrendous floods this week and the roads and infrastructure is all disrupted. The camp sites we were planning to use no longer exist, and many hotels will be closed. For those who remember Boscastle, its similar.

Three people have been killed in the region.

Some info in English here http://www.catalannewsagency.com/news/society-science/severe-floods-north-western-catalan-pyrenees

There's some clips on you tube , but they keep getting taken down

Many bridges are no longer there, water is being flown into the area and most road infrastructure is damaged or destroyed. There's an estimated €4 million of damage on the valley road , and there's reports of the cross Pyrenees roads being closed. Tour de France route looks to be affected too

Not a good time for the people in the area.

Blimey, looks horrific!
I was just south of there at Castejon De Sos last week, having ridden up through Aragon and Catalonia for the previous week. All the rivers we saw were in spate if not actually flooding. The large hydro electric plants on the river Ebro and Segre were pumping out water from very full looking dams - really spectacular waterfalls. Also streams running across the roads in the higher areas a bit like you get in the mountains in the UK, but in Spain?
Godawful for the locals - let's hope it's not a regular thing.

The main areas affected by the devastating floods are:-
St-Béat on thé N125, this is on the Tour de France route, so not sure what is happening yet.
Barége, from Luz-st-Sauveur to Toumalet, D918. Barége has been devastated, and parts of the road has completely gone, washed away by the flood.
Cauterets D920a, the road is closed, due to being washed away in parts.
A few other road closures, the situation ins changing daily.
Good news is we have some good weather now.
There are plenty of good biking roads still open, all the main cols are now open, apart Tourmalet.
It will take many months to get back to normal down here.

But still managing to get out on the bike for some good rides in the French and Spanish Pyrénées .

Interesting reading this to me, booked on Plymouth/Roscoff ferry on 1st july, planned on riding down west side of France for 3 days then into Spain to stay at Vielha, already booked hotel there for weekend of 5/6/7 July on a spur of the moment thing, does anyone know of damaged roads to avoid around the Vielha area?.

Cheers.

Keith.

The information is very scarce at the moment, I did see that this area had been affected, the main routes and the Vielha Tunnel are open.
As soon as I see more information I will post on the forum.
Still plenty of bikes touring the area.

Will

The information is very scarce at the moment, I did see that this area had been affected, the main routes and the Vielha Tunnel are open.
As soon as I see more information I will post on the forum.
Still plenty of bikes touring the area.

Will

Thanks Will, much appreciated.

Keith.

Me n a few mates are just back from a week in the pyrenees. The col de tourmalet was closed and as of the 24th looks likely to be for a while. The road having been washed away. Also the N230 Bossost to Viella on the Spanish side was also closed and we turned round at the advice of a cafe owner.
The Aubisque is open and is now one of my favourite passes.
There was a large scale operation based round Lourdes with the civil guard (Firebrigade types i think ) running large convoys past our hotel to the tourmalet daily:(

Col de Tourmalet

Just on the way home from the area and all main roads seem okay now, did a circuit from Lourdes luz - st sauveur - col de tourmalet and down via la mongie and back to Lourdes. I had super weather. But as mentioned a lot of reconstruction work going on so got to watch out for lorries and poor road surfaces near Bareges.

I went via Bilbao with Brittany ferries I really enjoyed the cruise down. Calm sea all the way. Home via Caen.

Good fun but an expensive sea crossing.

Paddy

Thanks Paddy I am there next week and our route takes over Col aspin, tourmalet and aubisque. On balance do you think it is worth bothering with tourmalet with the lorries and all given we will be doing plenty of other mountain riding ? Would mean a detour to bagneres and lourdes en route to argeles gazost. What would you do in our position ?

cheers
David

Thanks Paddy I am there next week and our route takes over Col aspin, tourmalet and aubisque. On balance do you think it is worth bothering with tourmalet with the lorries and all given we will be doing plenty of other mountain riding ? Would mean a detour to bagneres and lourdes en route to argeles gazost. What would you do in our position ?

cheers
David

David

We went over it about 3 weeks ago and its all passable ok. Just a slow bit where the road works are but no probs. Certainly worth the effort:):)

Attachments

• SAM_14446.jpg
    SAM_14446.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 386
I'm heading down that way, starting Thursday night, hope to be in Biarritz for Sunday lunch :bounce1and then across to Roses or somewhere, route not planned 100%

There will be restricted access between Bareges and Luz-St-Sauveur starting 2nd September according to official reports. The road will be closed Monday to Friday between 08.00 & 10.00, 10.30 & 12.00, 13.00 & 14.30, 15.00 & 18.00. Will keep you updated when we have more info!

Cheers, Phil
Pyrenees Motorcycle Tours
ride the best roads

There will be restricted access between Bareges and Luz-St-Sauveur starting 2nd September according to official reports. The road will be closed Monday to Friday between 08.00 & 10.00, 10.30 & 12.00, 13.00 & 14.30, 15.00 & 18.00. Will keep you updated when we have more info!

Cheers, Phil
ride the best roads

Will keep an eye on this thread, I will be there in 2 weeks time, having been thwarted twice I would l,e to ride the tourmalet, presumably between the times you mention the road will be open?

Cheers, Phil
ride the best roads

Wow thanks for this - en route for the Pyrenees and routes already loaded after hours of work into sat nav. Are you able to kindly recommend a good alternative days ride from bagneres de luchon to Argeles gazost - would like stay in the mountains as much as possible. Thanks very much
David

I hadn't seen this in the news but it looked incredible.... Alot of repair work will need to be done over months/years

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GInJJEo3Dj8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow thanks for this - en route for the Pyrenees and routes already loaded after hours of work into sat nav. Are you able to kindly recommend a good alternative days ride from bagneres de luchon to Argeles gazost - would like stay in the mountains as much as possible. Thanks very much
David

There isn't another mountain route unless you double back into Spain. An alternative is to pick up the D26 north of Bagneres de Bigorre which will lead you into Argeles eventually.

Cheers, Phil
ride the best roads

Thanks Phil that d26 looks like a good option assuming it,'s clear and reasonably rideable. You're a Gent !
Cheers
David

Back
Top Bottom