Spanner day

Rob Farmer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Finally!! finished for the day. Covered in grease and oil, new jeans looking like a 70's greasers. Hole in the new T shirt and a dirty face like a miners...good job the wifes away for the weekend.

Sorted all the worn joints on the gearchange out and turned up a new bush to take out the play - Made a big difference to the gearchange.

Back wheel out three times, what a bastard of a job that is? fitted the new spacers for the Billet 6 rear caliper only to find the ones supplied made it worse than the original setup :blast so turned up a couple of new spacers out of stainless :cool:

covered the block paving in oil while doing the oil change. What a fecking stupid place to put an oil drain plug. You inevitably drop the drain plug in the bottom of the oil tank and the oil runs down everything and coats the entire floor underneath the bike :confused:

Pleased to find my old 1150 oil spanner also fits the Harley filter :thumb

Tweaked the mixture to richen it up a bit. Why in the name of all things holy do you have to remove the entire air box to adjust the mixture? the airbox is also the carb support bracket so you give the throttle a blip once you adjusted things only to get a big backfire and blow the carb off :nenau

The bikes running really well, lovely and smooth at 80. I can't be arsed ordering a true track from the states and paying $250 for it so I'll see about making one up.

Must remember next time I zip out for a test ride to make sure the back gates locked. The wind blew the door open and the chooks let themselves out. Had three of the neighbours running around the street rounding up the chickens :D

All set for a run to Devon next Friday then :beerjug:

Finally!! finished for the day. Covered in grease and oil, new jeans looking like a 70's greasers. Hole in the new T shirt and a dirty face like a miners...good job the wifes away for the weekend.

Sorted all the worn joints on the gearchange out and turned up a new bush to take out the play - Made a big difference to the gearchange.

Back wheel out three times, what a bastard of a job that is? fitted the new spacers for the Billet 6 rear caliper only to find the ones supplied made it worse than the original setup :blast so turned up a couple of new spacers out of stainless :cool:

covered the block paving in oil while doing the oil change. What a fecking stupid place to put an oil drain plug. You inevitably drop the drain plug in the bottom of the oil tank and the oil runs down everything and coats the entire floor underneath the bike :confused:

Pleased to find my old 1150 oil spanner also fits the Harley filter :thumb

Tweaked the mixture to richen it up a bit. Why in the name of all things holy do you have to remove the entire air box to adjust the mixture? the airbox is also the carb support bracket so you give the throttle a blip once you adjusted things only to get a big backfire and blow the carb off :nenau

The bikes running really well, lovely and smooth at 80. I can't be arsed ordering a true track from the states and paying $250 for it so I'll see about making one up.

Must remember next time I zip out for a test ride to make sure the back gates locked. The wind blew the door open and the chooks let themselves out. Had three of the neighbours running around the street rounding up the chickens :D

All set for a run to Devon next Friday then :beerjug:

Proper:cool:thumb2

I spent a leisurely day farkling my '93 Sportie. New Kuryakin front fender extender, relocated the indicators from the cluttered handlebars to the forks (Where they should have been when the bike left the factory). New Sunrise gear change lever to replace the one which fell off, on a very steep hill (Tullybaccart) during a club run. :blast . Had to limp back home and continue on the GS, late again!

Have you ridden a Harley for eight miles, stuck in fourth gear, through a couple of built up areas, every set of lights against you? I have.

Do you know what a burning clutch smells like? I do.

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to have everybody stare at you, and not in a good way? I wonder no more!

Anstruther, best fish and chips in the world! Worth the hassle.

Character; lovin' it. :beerjug:

I spent yesterday trying to sort out the off-idle fart on the 05 Sportster.
It still had the plug over the mixture screw, been run like that for 8 years?
It took me about 10 minutes to decide to do something!
The mixture plug came out easily but the float chamber screws were a pain to get off. No one locally had a #45 slow jet so the old #42 went back in, until the new one arrives.
Had to grind up another screwdriver to adjust the mixture as my original was too short to use with the filter on. At least it can be adjusted with the filter on my old 1340 Evo I could not adjust it with the filter on.
Now running better at small throttle opening, was & still is OK 1/4 throttle up. Just feels as if it might cut out on the over-run, but does not, idles OK, so leave it until the new jet arrives.
Wet today so Honda not Harley weather.

Back
Top Bottom