Numb Bum & Back Pain..

After about 2 hours, the standard GS seat dug into my tail bone. The GSA seat was better, but just too tall for me. I now have a standard height Kahedo which is generally better but still a plank after 2 hours. Setting it front high, back low helps but then my legs feel scrunched and the bars feel too high. Landing gear anyone?

My GSA seat was ok for 100 miles or so but after that, it became very uncomfortable, almost unbearable on a long run through France last year.

I bought a new Sergent seat for the front and a Sergent seat cover for the rear to match - I don't carry pillions. It took a couple of weeks to wear in but it is now comfortable for literally hours in the saddle with no adverse affects. Highly recommended! :thumb

Seats

I got a sore bum on my 1150 after about 100 miles so brought a Corbin, expensive but wonderful after it ,had settled in 800 miles in a day with no discomfort. Found the 1200 seat too soggy so got a Corbin on the for sale page brilliant. So try for a s/h seat if no like sell it for what you paid.

Got an Touratech Comfort Seat (450 GBP in Sweden) and bar risers for my GSA. Happy as can be.

Try standing on the pegs every now and then. Especially effective alongside coach loads of dance troops. I often find they scream as I peer through the bus window, guess they must be mistaking me for ewan :nenau

Hi Guys,

Your replies are starting to be a great help to me, & you GSer's with Corbin Seat
might be able to assist me further.

On the Corbin website it states the Corbin seat height on the 1200GS is 32" this is roughly the same height as the Sargent LOW model.

I'm 6'2" & 17 stone & led to believe a LOW seat would not be suitable for my size.

What do you think????

Cheers,
Mike

Seats address one part of the anatomy.

The Arse.

Now, I'm no ergonomic expert, nor am I qualified in whatever fekkin qualification deals with spinal orientation, trapped nerves and arse numbness, but it seems to me that everyone so far has just focussed on the bum comfort thing....not surprising really, Bum positioning is very important to many of those in the 12 section :augie

Try another approach....and, a far simpler and FAR less expensive option than going for a certain seat by a certain manufacturer that happens to fit the certain shaped fat arse of whichever reviewer recommended it :rolleyes:

Your spine controls affects nearly all of your body....certainly your coccyx which is at the base of it, and also things that you haven't complained of like tingly fingers etc etc.

Changing the position of the spine, its orientation and bend, can have an enormous effect on arse comfort.....so I'd genuinely suggest that you borrow/buy a set of bar risers that will let you fiddle both UPWARDS, BACKWARDS AND DOWNWARDS with your hand positioning......hands effect arms effect shoulders effect spine. :thumb2

People here are so willing to immediately shout out about their own particular seat solution, but a lot of it tends to be "oooh look, I spent a thousand pounds on a top of the range seat, I love it" rather than a properly considered approach to WHY you are feeling the pain......these wankers who recommend these posh seats omit to say that they may well have tried 5 types before, all at four hundred plus notes a pop, and all that they've ended up with is a seat position that hides the ergonomic causes for ther discomfort, rather than curing the reason for it in the first place :rob

We're talking about numbness and lower back pain here, not compression sores on old fart's arse skin that may be fixed by spreading out the pressure across a big fat bum area :augie

Start with the basics.....position, reach, angles, posture, compression

:thumb

PS I'm feeling aggressive tonight........but I stand by what I just said :D

And you're not wrong.

Got a modified seat and bar risers, spent ages trying to improve the comfort. It's not perfect but it is better than it was as standard so nothing lost, and more money probably won't make any more improvement.

Seats address one part of the anatomy.

The Arse.

Now, I'm no ergonomic expert, nor am I qualified in whatever fekkin qualification deals with spinal orientation, trapped nerves and arse numbness, but it seems to me that everyone so far has just focussed on the bum comfort thing....not surprising really, Bum positioning is very important to many of those in the 12 section :augie

Try another approach....and, a far simpler and FAR less expensive option than going for a certain seat by a certain manufacturer that happens to fit the certain shaped fat arse of whichever reviewer recommended it :rolleyes:

Your spine controls affects nearly all of your body....certainly your coccyx which is at the base of it, and also things that you haven't complained of like tingly fingers etc etc.

Changing the position of the spine, its orientation and bend, can have an enormous effect on arse comfort.....so I'd genuinely suggest that you borrow/buy a set of bar risers that will let you fiddle both UPWARDS, BACKWARDS AND DOWNWARDS with your hand positioning......hands effect arms effect shoulders effect spine. :thumb2

People here are so willing to immediately shout out about their own particular seat solution, but a lot of it tends to be "oooh look, I spent a thousand pounds on a top of the range seat, I love it" rather than a properly considered approach to WHY you are feeling the pain......these wankers who recommend these posh seats omit to say that they may well have tried 5 types before, all at four hundred plus notes a pop, and all that they've ended up with is a seat position that hides the ergonomic causes for ther discomfort, rather than curing the reason for it in the first place :rob

Start with the basics.....position, reach, angles, posture, compression

:thumb

PS I'm feeling aggressive tonight........but I stand by what I just said :D

You're talking out of your arse again :)

Bar risers aren't all they're cracked up to be and may make it worse for someone under 5'9

I agree with you on seats to a degree though as I have 2 Corbin seats for a 1150 GS - a single GSA variant & the twin seat GS version

The twin GS seat Corbin is far better than the single in terms of comfort for me

Ignore Bill - aftermarket seats do work - but some are better than others

Fanum makes some very good points.

If you want a cheap way to find out if playing around with seats will help, get a £5 inflatable pillow off eBay. I've got one that I occasionally use and it must be 5 years old now. Low inflation and just bung it on your seat to see if that helps. If it does keep using it or spend some dosh on something more permanent.

Andres

You're talking out of your arse again :)
Ignore Bill - aftermarket seats do work - but some are better than others

IF the problem is caused by contact, hip orientation etc, yes they may well be of great use to YOU.

The first place to start with a numb bum/lower back issue though is surely NOT an expensive and highly hit and miss (in terms of if it works for you) seat.....it has to be back to basics :blast

Aftermarket seats may well work, but IMO they shouldn't be the first resort :rob

Just because your fat middle aged soft arse benefited from the most expensive seat you could find, 'doesn't mean I'm talking out of my arse JB......I'm just telling it as I see it :p

I have found Sargents to be no better, it's all bout position imho. as mentioned above, don't jump in for the expensive solution.

i did 490 miles back from Thurso to Warrington last Friday without any major twinges, front of seat on High position, rear of seat in Low position, and my forcefield back protector velcro pulled in a bit tighter giving my back some support (rather than having a back protector in the "pouch" of my jacket).

about half way down when stopping for fuel, I chucked the £10 lambland sheepskin pad on, but it was not really needed, all that was needed was a shuffle in the seat every now and again.

I have had Sargent's and a Kahedo off here second hand, and neither of them really worked for me, the GSA seat is ok if you tweak the position, and shuffle around a bit.

Biggest improvement for me was ditching the back protector in my Rukka, and going back to using my old "strap on" (oooeeeer) Forcefield.

whilst i find the above posts very funny ,i agree with fanum to a larger degree.
when i have set my bars high for off roading i find that my lower back really starts to ache.making a lumbar support essential when sitting.dropping the bars downwards maybe more than you might find natural improves my posture and straightens the wrists so you dont get numb hands.the bars are plenty high enough on a gs putting risers on is going to make you sit like an ape.
all that said i am only 5ft6 and 10.5 stone so not average tosser sized:D

i fitted a sargent seat(original gave me a sore back aswell as a totally fecking stupid riding position), yep it was loads more comfy & gave greater support & i did last longer before my arse got numb but i also have a dead sheep on top of the seat & it does stop the onset of arse numbness.risers do take the strain of your shoulders & change your riding position but will do nothing for a sore arse.everyone is different but most folk i know past their mid 30's seem to suffer from arse numbness,another factor is how often you ride,if you don't ride alot until summer months(nothing wrong with that)& go for a substantial jaunt you will have a sore arse as your body won't be match fit or conditioned to it.as others have said try different things if you can but you'll be limited unless you can borrow stuff to try before you buy.as far as i'm concerned comfort comes before cost,small price compared to bike.whats the point of doing trips if you aint going to enjoy it.:rob

Just because your fat middle aged soft arse benefited from the most expensive seat you could find, 'doesn't mean I'm talking out of my arse JB......I'm just telling it as I see it :p

Just kidding :)

I love it when you're in 'attack' mode

Buy them 2nd hand is the best option, that's what I did

But you have to be comfy with your posture first too

Don't by a Sargent thinking you are buying a plush comfier seat, but if your problem is pressure on your coccyx causing numbness, then £300 will sort it out!

The GSA seats are the most uncomfortable seats going, I have been looking for a Corbin as had them on previous biks but have had to resort to a sargent which is brilliant as couldnot find a corbin. I did try a powerbronze which was different but not wide enough for my derrier, couldnt get on with airhawk and haven't tried the dead sheep route yet.

The GSA seats are the most uncomfortable seats going, .

They really are not you know, my old Tiger 1050 seat padding was so soft it was it was uncomfortable, my Z1000 was torture after about 100 miles.

Sargent and Corbin are great seat's, but are not a magic wand to wave over a bike, plus I hate the way they hold you in and don't let you move around on the bike. Following some of the tips here, dropping the seat into high front / low rear made a noticeable difference.

A lot of the discomfort can be avoided with posture and the odd shuffle around on the bike, or do most of the people complaining just park themselves on the bike, point it in a straight line and sit bolt upright mile after mile?

In some ways, I think that the seat comfort issue probably means folks bought the wrong bike, buying a GS / GSA and expecting RT levels of comfort :D

Fanum has it pretty close. Don't just lash out a few hundred of your hard earned before you've tried adjusting the bars because that can make a huge difference to the riding position and comfort.

I have a standard seat which was moulded by a pal of mine for £40 and is much better than the standard but not perfect. I managed to get a Sargeant at a sensible price last year and it's no better but I prefer it in some ways because as it's flat, I can put my cup of coffee on it at the cafe:thumb2

How much are you after for the corbin seats and do you have any pics?

Thanks

Andrew

Back
Top Bottom