PC to Mac - opinions and views please

Hustler

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My old Windows PC is creaking at the seams, badly.

I guess with a C drive of 139 Gb, of which 51 Gb is used, and a RAM of 480 Mb it's probably no surprise.

I could get a better Windows machine or go down the more expensive and unknown, to me, Apple route.
But Windows has of late been so, so slow although my current storage will be at least some of this problem.

Today I visited John Lewis and the Apple store and spoke with some intelligent people.
John Lewis will, for £20, take my current PC and download all the data onto a new Apple if I decide to go down that route.

So what say you people who have made this conversion -
Pleased ?
Delighted ?
Wish you'd done it years earlier ?
Not worth the grief ?
Switched back to windows ?

Opinions most appreciated. Thanks very much.

Apple for me all the way. It'll take you a while to get used to it but they just work. Yes they're expensive, but factor in longevity and the time saved not dicking around trying to get it working and they pay for themselves pretty quickly IMHO. Yes you can get 'better' specced PCs for less but you need to define what value means to you. A basic iMac wil be good for 5 years at least and will make your current machine seem steam powered. Don't discount the apple refurb store - som bargains there and you can buy AppleCare anytime in the 1st year for another 2 years peace of mind. If you want to upgrade the Ram buy from Crucial and fit yourself - dead easy.

My old Windows PC is creaking at the seams, badly.

I guess with a C drive of 139 Gb, of which 51 Gb is used, and a RAM of 480 Mb it's probably no surprise.

I could get a better Windows machine or go down the more expensive and unknown, to me, Apple route.
But Windows has of late been so, so slow although my current storage will be at least some of this problem.

Today I visited John Lewis and the Apple store and spoke with some intelligent people.
John Lewis will, for £20, take my current PC and download all the data onto a new Apple if I decide to go down that route.

So what say you people who have made this conversion -
Pleased ?
Delighted ?
Wish you'd done it years earlier ?
Not worth the grief ?
Switched back to windows ?

Opinions most appreciated. Thanks very much.

Do a search ..... 99.999% of folk that do the transition from PC to Mac wouldn't go back :thumb

I most certainly wouldn't ... for far too many reasons to enumerate on here ;)

:beerjug:

I moved to a mac earlier this year, steep learning curve at first, but worthwhile I think. No crashes or go slows so far.

I bought a second hand top spec MacBook Air and wiped it and stuck windows 7 on it.

Best thing ever...:D

the 1 button mouse is shit. I have both though, My PC upstairs which does most of the downloading, the imac downstairs in the dinning room. Both connected to my NAS so my kids can watch stuff and I can keep an eye on what they're upto on the internet. You will need to invest in software on the mac unless your in the know:augie
But I still like my PC and I like the mac. You can find a bargain on gumtree.

the 1 button mouse is shit. I have both though, My PC upstairs which does most of the downloading, the imac downstairs in the dinning room. Both connected to my NAS so my kids can watch stuff and I can keep an eye on what they're upto on the internet. You will need to invest in software on the mac unless your in the know:augie

I moved to a Macbook Pro a few months ago, still getting to grips with it but I love it.

You can set the mouse to do right clicks really easily, if I can do it, anyone can!

Thanks very much everyone, appreciated.

Looks like Mac's are in the lead in the opinion poll and that's the way I'm leaning at the moment.

I doubt I would have considered them before but had a friend stop by last week and he had his Macbook Pro with him and I have to say I was impressed.

Thanks again people.

When comparing a PC with a Mac dont put a £400 cheap laptop against a £1200 Macbook Pro pick a high end Laptop £800+.

I have had both and gone back to a quality Windows laptop with SSD etc as the Mac had too may limitations with software unless I put Windows on it and used it as a glorified windows PC.

Macs do go wrong the same as Windows PC they need updates they get slower as software gets heavier and third party software just like PCs.

Just google "logic board failure"

The easiest way to right-click is to hold down the ctrl key before you click your mouse button. This works on any Mac!

:blagblah

Do a search ..... 99.999% of folk that do the transition from PC to Mac wouldn't go back :thumb

Micky, much as I love you, that is utter utter shit my man :nono

Macs are STILL for people who don't know how to run a computer.....
Macs are STILL overpriced, underpowered and hard to upgrade pieces of wannabee fancy farkle tech.

Macs are STILL owned (and vigorously defended) by those who just want an easy, controlled life that's dictated by a big corporation (EG they take their fuckin website down and make you waitr for it to come back up to herald a new release or something :blast)

Apple are arrogant, trendy, shallow and sleek.....

If you want a 1200GSA even before it has been released, you will probably want a Mac...if you are quite happy to accept a bland but admittedly sleek machine that (again, admittedly) computer that does it all out of the box, you want a Mac.

If, on the other hand, you are the faintest bit interested in making or being able to upgrade your computer, you need a PC.

Macs DO get viruses, but less than a PC because there's generally less worth stealing from a wanker...

You can't run anywhere near as much software on a Max as you can on a PC.....the red specced posy fuckers will no doubt tell you that you can run everything, as long as you run a PC emulator......that's a bit like sticking a sausage down your kekks to make you look as normally endowed as everyone else :blast

Woth a PC, you can add pretty much ANY bit of hadware.....you don't have to spend half an hour looking up the compatability of a printer or a mouse before you buy it, you can just get it, plug it in and IT WILL WORK.

Same with upgrades..........your display card isn't quite up to running the latest game, no probs, you dont have to shell out 3 grand on a new Mac, you can just get a new GPU off ebay for 50 quid and again, IT WILL WORK.

Macs ARE better for handling graphics and design progs, but I challenge ANY amateur Mac user to turn out anything beter on their Mac than I can on my PC machines....the graphical superiority argument is only valid for Pro users :rob

If you want a straight out of the box thing that works, looks good and makes you feel like a smug cnut, get a MAC......If you've got any kids who might ever want to play a decent game though, fugging forget it :blast

If you want to be able to upgrade your machine, or use any old crappy bit of hardware that you have stuck away in a box, or if you just want to be in control YOURSELF rather than meekly and blindly accepting the Mac way of life, you need a PC.....

Oh, and they're cheaper too, feature by feature :thumb2

Macs are STILL overpriced, underpowered and hard to upgrade pieces of wannabee fancy farkle tech.

Macs are STILL owned (and vigorously defended) by those who just want an easy, controlled life that's dictated by a big corporation (EG they take their fuckin website down and make you waitr for it to come back up to herald a new release or something :blast)

Incorrect....and I cite in corroboration of this the fact that my son who has an Honours Degree in Software Engineering and his good friend and colleague with whom he runs a start-up software company both use Macbook Pros for all their work.

Just drink the Apple Kool-Aid. It won't give you gout.....:p

(Typed on my Macbook Air while FaceTiming my buddy Jack who works for Apple in Cupertino on my iPad, checking the weather on my iPhone and streaming Radio Paradise from my Apple TV)

If you want a 1200GSA even before it has been released, you will probably want a Mac...if you are quite happy to accept a bland but admittedly sleek machine that (again, admittedly) computer that does it all out of the box, you want a Mac.

If, on the other hand, you are the faintest bit interested in making or being able to upgrade your computer, you need a PC.

Macs DO get viruses, but less than a PC because there's generally less worth stealing from a wanker...

You can't run anywhere near as much software on a Max as you can on a PC.....the red specced posy fuckers will no doubt tell you that you can run everything, as long as you run a PC emulator......that's a bit like sticking a sausage down your kekks to make you look as normally endowed as everyone else :blast

Woth a PC, you can add pretty much ANY bit of hadware.....you don't have to spend half an hour looking up the compatability of a printer or a mouse before you buy it, you can just get it, plug it in and IT WILL WORK.

Same with upgrades..........your display card isn't quite up to running the latest game, no probs, you dont have to shell out 3 grand on a new Mac, you can just get a new GPU off ebay for 50 quid and again, IT WILL WORK.

Macs ARE better for handling graphics and design progs, but I challenge ANY amateur Mac user to turn out anything beter on their Mac than I can on my PC machines....the graphical superiority argument is only valid for Pro users :rob

If you want a straight out of the box thing that works, looks good and makes you feel like a smug cnut, get a MAC......If you've got any kids who might ever want to play a decent game though, fugging forget it :blast

If you want to be able to upgrade your machine, or use any old crappy bit of hardware that you have stuck away in a box, or if you just want to be in control YOURSELF rather than meekly and blindly accepting the Mac way of life, you need a PC.....

I've been procrastinating over switching to a Mac for ages...........

Cheers Fanum, you've made my mind up at last.

Sounds like its time to get a Mac :)

Andres

:eek: :kissy2

:beerjug:

You'll really be glad you did :thumb2

Forget Windows, it's a totally second rate OS.

I think you're in danger of letting your lifestyle prejudices influence your use of operating system.:cool:

Speaking as someone who has been using PCs since they were invented, I find little liking for working on computers, preferring these days to work with them to acomplish something rather than spend time defragmenting disks, hunting down drivers and restarting the the bloody thing every five minutes.

Macs are just as upgradable as any Windows PC my own has extra graphics cards, an extra SATA interface and aftermarket memory. I can think of little hardware that i might conceivbly need that I couldn't fit.

As for software, i can't think of any serious software task that can be accomplished with a windows PC theat can't be accomplished on a Mac. If you must waste your life on computer games, then maybe you could boot to windows, but after the Mac, you won't like it.

Viruses? Dunno, apparently they exist, but in hundreds of Mac-years I never had one and I never heard of anyone who had. I have no anti-virus software installed and neither does anyone I know.

I do a bit of computer support for several local friends and acquaintences (in exchange for the occasional bottle of bootleg hooch), but since I recommended they all get Macs I have to source my own Poire, Pomme and Mirabelle.:mad:

Want a hassle free computer experience get a MAC

Want to tinker with your computer get a PC

I have both,

A PC for gaming were I can upgrade parts willy nilly and have a custom build that works out cheaper than buying in a shop.

I use the MAC for everything else, i may have an iPhone and iPad and the mrs has too but I don't consider myself a fan boy of their stuff. Yes I do love it but if I had to give it all up and keep one it would be the PC because it suits me and my needs.

So it's the usual shite on here some say PC some say MAC forget what they say and just ask yourself what is your needs and what experience do you want?

P.s

For those talking about the mouse all you need to do is go into the mouse options and set it for a 2 button set up, hardly a big deal...

Sent via TapaTalk

Back
Top Bottom