Plitvice

Baz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
We are doing a trip to Croatia in September & I'm finalising my route. I have two days to get from Split to Villach in Austria so am looking for an overnight stop. Plitvice Lakes are a 3-4 hour ride from Split. Would i have enough time to get a flavour for the place in half a day or should we save it for another trip?

Ta Baz

There's buses to transport you on land and a boat on one of the lakes so it's not all walking around. Last September we spent a day there, but did some of the walks twice.

Stopped here: http://www.booking.com/hotel/hr/villa-lika.en.html about a 20 minutes walk through some woods to one of the bus termini. And along the walk there's still some buildings with bullet holes in them that haven't been rebuilt / repaired.

The road up from Karlobag is fun, with a great view from the top too, which means a taste of the Jadranska Magistrala and some less touristy Croatia too. Would take about another two hours on going the motorway way.

Half a day will be fine to see the place - you may not be able to get around all of the lakes but you can certainly fill your memory with some superb sights.

If you can, stay near the lakes and get to the site early in the day before the coaches arrive. Leave by 2pm and you can be in Villach for dinner. The road up to Karlovac is pretty good and then you can hook up with the motorway network and blast the last 170 miles.

We Stayed Here.

We were at Plitvicke Lakes about 5 weeks ago - absolutely awesome, not to be missed:thumb - probably one of the most amazing places I've visited!
We stayed locally for 2 nights and visited the lakes on the middle day. I would say you need 3-4 hours to make a decent visit. Also try to start your visit as early as possible as it gets very busy in the middle of the day. Enter at Gate 2 and get the bus to the TOP of the lakes and walk down. They have different routes recommended depending on how long you have - plenty of help/advice at the ticket office.
The place we stayed was only about 2 miles from gate 2 and the very helpful owner offered to give us a lift to the entrance in the morning so we could wander round in shorts and t-shirt and we walked back at end of day.
Link below to our digs - recommended!
http://www.booking.com/hotel/hr/vil...ngs-naam-3jHr6EsDyn1Uq9ttdGmKKwS4013691321;:-

Have a great trip................Grizzly:beerjug:

Half a day will be enough Baz, but I reckon you're going to be in amongst lots of crowds. Try to avoid a weekend day if you can. Definitely worth the trip, probably the lower parts are a little more spectacular than the very far end (if you start at Entrance 1). We were staying a 10 minute ride away, rode from the hotel in shorts and T-shirts (oh no!), locked helmets to bikes and enjoyed a great day wandering around.

Hotel we used:

http://www.restoran-sedra.hr/

Nice friendly place, good food, reasonable prices.

It's lovely...half a day is more than enough.

P1010231.jpg

Lake Bled in Slovenia on yer way up is worth a visit too...:thumby:

P1010194.jpg

Just realiased I put this in the wrong section, teach me to have a drink and post:blast

Just realiased I put this in the wrong section, teach me to have a drink and post:blast

Really?

[checks]

I see the webmaster has decided the Balkans should be lumped in with Turkey & the Middle East. I guess this has been a bone of contention for centuries but I'm not going to criticise you for lumping Croatia in with Eastern Europe as they have just become part of the EU!

Back
Top Bottom