Twin Cam v LC

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Following on from Smuzzy's thread when his attempt at doing a deal on an LC ended up with him coming out with a twin cam ADV, I thought I'd post my thoughts on the difference.

I was in California last week relaxing after another Alaska trip and of course ended up riding most days even after 8500 miles in 4 weeks but I digress. My 1200ADV is a 56 plate with 98500 on the clock and is still going like a train but I would like to retire the old girl from the big trips now. I'll keep it though as it's loaded with memories.

The dealer we use to load bikes in Santa Rosa CA very kindly lent me his LC demo for the day and then a friend in SF lent me her 4000 mile 2012 TC for a few days after that. It's not what you know etc etc so it was great time to see which one I would want next.

The LC was first and I thought it was a brilliant bike. There were no issues with gear changing etc and the power delivery was superb and very, very addictive. It actually felt more like a supermoto on the twisty roads out there and it was next to impossible to use it all. The brakes were very impressive as I'm no fan of ABS and all the complexity but I have to say, they were excellent and apparently, the ABS is very advanced and you just don't notice it. Lovely handling, crisp response and a comfy ride all added up to a great day. The technology is all very clever and seems to do what it says on the tin but perhaps a fully loaded one would be a bit much for me. Couldn't stop smiling for a day after because it was up there with one of the best bikes I've ridden.

Next day, I shot off down to my friends place and picked up her 1200TC. I was expecting to be underwhelmed after the LC but that was not the case. I've only ridden a TC for a short distance so I didn't know what the difference from mine would be. In short, the bike is very very close to the LC in the real world with excellent power delivery and sweet handling with the ESA and Anakee 2's. I have an ADV so again, the size matters and the GS felt light and nimble. I'm thinking an ADV wouldn't be so nimble but no matter. I did about 750 miles on it mostly on the PCH and surrounding and can honestly say that nowhere did I think the LC was really much better apart from the screen. I'm not a huge fan of the horse power race and I really thought the TC was about right for real world riding and not the world of Journo's who think power is all.

My need is for a bike for distance and varied road conditions and although I'd had thoughts of a LC ADV when it appears, I really can't see the extra benefit for my particular needs. The LC seems to be more in teh league of KTM, Ducati and Triumph who have all made sports bikes with big bars and called them Adventure bikes. For me, the TC has the right combination of power and more importantly proven reliability so it will be on my shopping list early next year. There is no doubt the LC is a terrific bike and I fully understand why people are loving them and above all it's still feels like a GS which I think is important.

As an aside, I've ridden the Explorer and the Multi Strada and LC is better than either of those in every department except all out power in my opinion.

Thanks for that, makes me feel better about my somewhat impulse purchase. My only experience of the LC was on the BMW Offroad School this May when I was lucky enough to spend 2 days on one. I thought it was brilliant even though I didn't find neutral in the 2 days! The power is quite addictive and it was a world ahead of my 56 plate standard GS. Probably the most impressive bit was the way it carried its weight. It felt much lighter than my GS, although the spec sheet says different. The electronics package meant that you could use both throttle and brakes with abandon and it would still look after you.

But

Whilst the ORS taught me loads, 99% of my riding will be European tours and I'm no longer a speed junkie, quite the opposite. I know the Hex will be more than I need, I've had one before and the poise and presence is great. The deal I was offered sealed it and hopefully the 90 Anniversary may become quite desirable. Its the bike for what I will use it for.

I'm in no way knocking the WC, it is phenominal and I was genuinely shocked at how quick it was compared with my old GS (remapped by Hilltop by the way and much better for it). Its just with £2K worh of free goodies and a £1K better deal than the WC it was a no brainer.

Each to their own, but I'm happy with my decision. When its run in, another visit to Hilltop will be booked!

Nice comparison Bilco.:thumb That about sums it up. I enjoyed all three twin cams I had, but for me, the LC is perfect.:JB

Very good review Bilco and from someone who puts in big miles and knows what he's talking about. :thumb

I have spend some time on the LC and owns the MU Adventure. The Adventure is just right. Nothing wrong with the LC and it would make a brilliant continent tourer but with the Adventure there is not much in it. If I could stretch to a TC Adventure I would have it but at the moment money is needed for more essential stuff. The Adventure likes dirt roads, is very good in the twisties and even better on unknown bumpy roads with reduced visibility. It is a tough bike and when ridden properly even upsets the sports bike crowd on a track day. A well ridden GS ...bla...bla. It has generous luggage capacity, high seat with good wind protection and is a comfortable bike with a big fuel tank. I think only the RT pips it as a tourer and winter commuter talking about BMW twins. For the extra money a LC GS Adventure is going to cost it would have to be a whole lot better bike to make me swap. Red is my preferred colour is if anybody feels generous, thanks in advance.

I just feel that with the LC the added complexity of a vulnerable part is a bit of a compromise if you tend to undertake trips to the unknown. The question is not if but when you'll drop it on the ruff stuff and will it damage the radiator? I know, many bikes have crossed the world even LC ones but then a LC GS would not be your first choice. Not that is a major consideration for most of the owners.

For what I use my bikes at the moment I'll need a track bike (I have one) and a everyday/tourer (GS Adventure) bike and a off road machine which I don't have. The GS is just to big and heavy for the rutted clay bogs that is green lanes around here.

Nice post Bilco. Are you buying the TC in the adverts?

I test rode both the WC and TC. Ended up buying a TC. Happy in most respects. I do think the WC would be better for high speed cruising. TC fully loaded seems to be racing a little around the ton. I think the WC would be more relaxed at this speed.

I do like my TC GSA but will look again at the WC GSA in a couple of years.

I've had a quick look on the Victory website but I cant see a Victory FFS model. Which one is it?:confused:

Agreed Bilks mate your summary is spot on, I went from A non TC 1200 to a Explorer and lover the hike in power, that went for a Crosstourer which was a really great bike I really enjoyed that but the hankering for another GS was strong and with that swopped the CT for Gadget's 1200 TC triple black, but before that I had a deal on the table with Cannons for there demo LC,

I went there with all my docs for the CT and a pocket full of cash and rode there bike, after about 8 miles I took it back it just wasn't for me couldn't put my finger on exactly why no one thing I didn't like but just not for me, I thought that maybe it was there bike or that the Honda was just that good, I had the deal with Gadget and met him in Norfolk to swop for his 2011 Triple black TC that had been mapped by Hilltop,

as soon as I pulled away on the TC I knew id done the right move with the TC over the LC although it was still well down on power than the Honda I loved the BMW instantly so much so that after only 4 days I was at SBW attempting to see if there was any Brand new 1200 TC's left so I could have a new one with all the bits new with all the warranty etc (there wasnt:blast), I explained my experience to the really helpful salesman who offered me another great deal on there ex demo LC and convinced me to take it out for a few hours to get a good feel for the bike, I did and to be honest was impressed with there bike but was still not as suited to me as the TC,

I ended up buying a 12 plate 1K mile 1200 TC Rallye fully loaded with all the factory options apart from the alarm it was delivered Yesterday and after allday in the garage putting all my stuff on it Top box, Engine Bars, Adv screen, Bar risers, Akrapovic, Hugger, etc etc I finally took it out at 7:30 for a 20 min ride to see how it felt and if it was down on power to the remapped triple black, I got home at 11 Oclock It rides so much better smoother and the power difference I didn't notice (seems hard to believe) but really for me I couldn't notice it maybe the additional power was at top end which isn't where I spend much time lol

This is a keeper its now parked up in the garage next to my 1150 GS SE and they look the nuts together the Brand New Silverwing Scoot has been demoted from the garage to the Garden lol
I never say never and inevitably Ill probably have an LC in the future:rolleyes: but for me at the moment The TC Rallye is the one for Me :bounce1
so much so that albeit I don't have to be at work till 9 today Im leaving now 6:30 to go in the long way LOL

The LC seems to be more in teh league of KTM, Ducati and Triumph who have all made sports bikes with big bars and called them Adventure bikes. For me, the TC has the right combination of power and more importantly proven reliability so it will be on my shopping list early next year.

I totally agree with every word, (except proven reliability, which is why I chose the Yamaha Super Tenere)

I have not ridden an LC, but loved the Twin Cam bikes, having tested them and had them as loan bikes I really rate them as being spot-on for real world riding, more than enough power to get you moving quickly, overtake tin boxes and have a bit of fun, but not enough to put you in jail / the morgue unless your very stupid / unlucky.

Not so keen on all modern features, I have ABS and it works well, but I dread the day when all the plumbing needs replacing or starts causing issues.

TC is not so bad as it is just programming in the ECU and a couple of sensors - likely to be extremely reliable and a new ECU for a 5 year old non ABS bike can write it off - ask any Honda owner who's HISS has failed (that will be £3000 pounds sir)

The electronic suspension is something else I avoid, it seems all the rage, but I bet in trying to keep costs down the quality of the suspension itself is likely to be compromised to get all the electronics and stepper motors fitted to the bike without the cost being prohibitive, and when they fail replacements are a lot more money, I prefer to just buy decent quality rebuildable suspension (Ohlins / Wilburs) that apart from a 20,000 mile rebuild (£80) have nothing to go wrong.

Overall it seems manufacturers are moving away from what a lot of owners want, but probably trying to suck in the sportsbike crowd, which is why most the new Adv bikes are just sportsbikes with wide bars.

If I was shopping around again now I would still be looking at the Super Tenere and Twin Cam GS, none of the new kids do it for me, although I do like the look of the KTM and with a lotto win it is probably the one I would buy for Sunday blasts.

KaT aMongst the pigeons!

:robThe 1190 is an exceptional bike! Please, please test ride one if you're thinking about a new GS or any dual-purpose bike.

I love my twin cam - best GS I've owned - 100% reliable after 3 years and 18,000 miles (touch wood :D)

I'm sure the LC is a good bike but I don't feel the need for extra power - even haven't been taken in by the hilltop frenzy. GS isn't about top end power and the standard bike is a smooth as a baby's bottom.

Looks the part - one criticism of the LC (I haven't ridden one yet) is its starting to look like a Sports tourer.

I believe the TC will go down as the best of the breed - find a good one and hang onto it :thumby:

dithered for 4 test rides on the LC before going for a new TC GSA, great deal, fantastic bike, now on 3 1/2k miles after 6 weeks, previous TC GS did over 25k without a single issue. I'm not a luddite, I love gadgets and the LC was a blast to ride but I prefer the way the TC makes it's power, maybe it's an age thing? I'm 50+, maybe the LC will be more appealing to younger riders coming from jap sports bikes? I'll certainly be looking at the LC adventure when it comes out but planning on the GSA being a keeper.

Loved the LC

(TC GSA is the better bike for me and around 4k cheaper)

Horses for courses

I've done 4500 miles on my 90th edition GSA and for me it's the perfect bike.

Didn't even want to ride an LC as its not got the road presence of the TC.

Hopefully in time the LC GSA will be as good.:aidan

Heres my new Baby after my long way to work this morning Im loving it

Attachments

• rallye.jpg
    rallye.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 429

Back
Top Bottom