Twin Cam v LC

was the pillion verdict not good?

Sadly a no. I have other two wheeled toys, this bike is as much for Amanda as it is for me so that made it a no............just about to do a wee write up in the original thread in the KTM section.

Andres

I assume that it works the other way as well, in low gears when you wrench the throttle wide open instead of spitting you off the CPU regulates the engine in conjunction with the other clever electronics.

That is Traction Control, there is a difference between throttle assembly (what you think your doing) to throttle butterfly mapping (what the bike actually does) and Traction Control.

You could map the throttle butterflies 1:1 with the throttle, but still have the TC intervene.

The Yamaha S10 restricts throttle in 1st - 3rd at low RPM's, removing this gives huge low-mid range gains in those gears.

Early ZZR1400's were massively restricted this way (like only allowing 10% throttle until past 6000 rpm in 1st - made them feel like a CG125 around town)

Triumph took the opposite approach with the Explorer, you dial in 10% throttle and the bike gives 80% - makes them feel fast as f***, but in reality twisting the throttle the rest of the way does not do much, possibly a ploy to fool the press / people on test rides? backfired as everyone found the throttle a bit too aggressive and they now offer a free remap to smooth it out.

I want to be able to control the power myself, the TC is a nice feature just in case I get it wrong / hit a greasy patch, but I do not like to be wrenching the throttle only for the bikes computer to decide I am not allowed the power I have requested.

The combination of removing fly-by-wire restrictions and optimising fuelling and ignition (compromised by emissions regs - before someone comes back with the "surely the manufacturer knows best" response) will give a far smoother better running machine.

The LC is possibly a bit better as the Liquid cooling will have helped with emissions compared the the TC, but if my Yamaha is anything to go by there will still be some big gains to be had with a remap.

Having had a second test ride on the KTM1190 this weekend it's now out of the equation as a replacement for my '05 1200 and I find myself thinking I'll stick with a GS :eek

So what was it that changed your mind about the KTM then..?

I never got round to testing a 1190, but i've decided to stick with BMW and trade in my 09 GSA for one of the last 90th Edition GSA's.

:thumby:

From a manufacturer's point of view, a switchable throttle response is cheap to deliver. I dont know why its not offered more often.

From a manufacturer's point of view, a switchable throttle response is cheap to deliver. I dont know why its not offered more often.

Agreed :D Id like the bike to be limited on power to say 100bhp but be as smooth as a baby,s bum for when the Mrs is on the back then when im on my own have full power with a more responsive responce for hooning around, well as much as you can hoon around on a GS lol :eek:

My bank manager and her indoors (same person really) says a big thank you to the many posts voting for the TC. And since any new bike takes ages and ££££ to get right: seats, screens, pegs, mapping, tyres etc etc, I'm not at all tempted. Somehow the looks don't appeal either, is it me or does the WC look a too civilised, like the Cross Tourer?

Back
Top Bottom