Is it just me and foot pumps?

Keyframe

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Another one died on me today. Can anybody recommend one I can use on the bike, car and push bike. An accurate gauge would be useful. Am I asking too much?

Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not much help but....

I have seen one, thats built like a brick shithouse with 2 rams, 2 cylinders, and very strong construction. I'm looking for pictures and a maker as we speak, so watch this space.. I'll do me best....

Every one I've ever used has eventually buckled and got bent.

They all seem to be bloody useless :nenau

My last one, Halfords own brand, lasted in the region of 25 years before dying.

My replacement is an Argos own brand. Cost about a fiver I reckon. Not as good as the Halfords one but seems okay so far.

Funnily enough, mine just died too. I spent good money on the highly reccommended Michelin double barrel footpump, expecting it to last alot longer than it has considering the little amount of use it's had.

Maybe I'll buy one of the electric pumps instead.

I use a big freestanding hand pump from a cycle shop, paddock pumps i think they call them, very good it is too.

I like the look of the track pump, superb for push bikes but from what I've read online they don't last too long when used to inflate a tyre with a ton of car resting on it.

What does it take to make a decent foot pump? I killed a Michelin double barrel jobbie, and I've just done the same to an almost identical "AA" branded device in perhaps 18 months. I wish I could find the receipt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Car tyres run at ~40psi, bicycle tyres run at 100+psi. I've been doing fine for years using my track pump on my car and ute (and 1150GS), only drawback of the pump being high pressure low volume is that it takes me lots of strokes. It is an old-school heavy metal barrel track pump, a less robust one might object to all the stroking...

My old man's got a 40+ year old foot pump still in action...no idea what brand though. (I remember using it at home when I was a kid)

The big difference is that you can take it apart and DIY recondition it.......the valves are made of leather I think, and you just grease things up, re-assemble with a bit of PTFE tape and on it goes for another decade.

Maybe it's just that stuff these days is designed to fail and built down to a price :nenau

Do not buy the RING Automotive single barrel foot-pump.

TOTALLY FAILED using it on first Bicycle

Car tyres run at ~40psi, bicycle tyres run at 100+psi. I've been doing fine for years using my track pump on my car and ute (and 1150GS), only drawback of the pump being high pressure low volume is that it takes me lots of strokes. It is an old-school heavy metal barrel track pump, a less robust one might object to all the stroking...

As above its the volume of air required not the pressure that wears out pumps. I've been using my cycle track pump on my push bikes and motorbikes for years without any problem. Track pumps are also easily maintained. If the cars are down a couple of psi then ill use the track pump if they are worse the ill use the compressor but I try and check them all so I don't let them get to far from the correct pressure.

The mini compressor I keep in the car is old but least used so it still works. Track pump old and lots of use but stripped and checked over during its lifetime.

As for a gauge I bought a blue point pressure gauge with dump valve. I find the gauges fitted to compressors/pumps at the more affordable prices can be innacurate.

I had a Halfords one for 20 plus years - always dependable.....until it just wore out. Have since tried a few others and they are all crap. I went electric. There is a German company that make the pumps for Mercedes, BMWs, VW, Audi etc. They are installed in the cars that have runflat tyres and what happens when the car gets written off is the breakers sell the pumps on ebay. New they are over a hundred quid. The German company that makes them is called Terra-s. They are amazing quality and can inflate the tyres on my motorhome very quickly. Here's an example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-B...Air_Tools_and_Compressors&hash=item1c38d4b98d

My old man's got a 40+ year old foot pump still in action...no idea what brand though. (I remember using it at home when I was a kid)

The big difference is that you can take it apart and DIY recondition it.......the valves are made of leather I think, and you just grease things up, re-assemble with a bit of PTFE tape and on it goes for another decade.

Maybe it's just that stuff these days is designed to fail and built down to a price :nenau

How true, modern ones fall apart

Small DIY compressor is what you need:D

Think mine's Halfords but the brass bodied one, used it regularly for over 15 years with no problems :)

Back
Top Bottom