A White Elephant to replace Sportster

dod

Reaction score
Just brought a 1991 FLHTP to replace my 2005 Sportster, when/if it gets sold.
It is a UK bike from new not a more recent import, no idea which force had it or was it a HDUK demo?
It feels somewhat lighter than my Ultra, it should, and more powerful, though it may be the gearing.
Thinking of looking for a police seat, had one off my 85 FLHP but sold it about 15 years ago, as one does.

Attachments

• FLHTP 1991.jpg
    FLHTP 1991.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 274
There was ...

... certainly a UK demo bike around in the 90's, I recall seeing it at Euston traffic garage. I don't think anyone bought them, but most tried it out :cool:

Has it got a bloody great alternator in one of the panniers as well? I looked at an ex American Police model a few years ago and it had that. Presumably to power the extra lights and waa-waas. If I remember rightly the catches opened from the other side to normal so that they could be flicked open whilst on the bike as well.

So, Dod, are you going to be John or Ponch? :D (enjoy the new bike)

A friend of mine had one identical to that in 1991, it could even be that one! Her husband at the time had a white FXRP. :)

I bought a new FXRP Pursuit Glide in 1991, it had the sweetest and quickest engine of any Evo I've owned, apparently HD took the best engines for the Police bikes...

my 85 FLHP

Some poor (pre-digital) pics of my 85 FLHP that I owned in the early 90's ex NYPD a guy in Chelsea had imported 2 sold one (mine) and kept one.
Sold it in 97 when I brought a 96 Electra Glide- a 1 year old UK bike with 20000 miles on it!, sold that in 2007 with about 40000 on it, I only do about 1-2000 a year on them.

Panniers are hinged on the outside and locked by the 'puck' on top, was same on the 85.

Attachments

• hd 85flh.jpg
    hd 85flh.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 198
Just brought a 1991 FLHTP to replace my 2005 Sportster, when/if it gets sold.
It is a UK bike from new not a more recent import, no idea which force had it or was it a HDUK demo?

My understanding was that the 'P' was a standard bike available to anyone from list, so it may just be an unmolested example? :nenau

People bought them as they had a very basic spec and consequently were a cheap way into HD ownership or a good basis for a custom bike.

So, Dod, are you going to be John or Ponch? :D (enjoy the new bike)

Unfortunately you need a Kawasaki for the correct image :blast

Back
Top Bottom