A little information on the Coast along Albania, Montenegro, BiH, Croatia

Roberto

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Paintman had requested some information about Albania, so rather then threadcrap on Grez's ride report I thought I'd put some information here.

I would be very interested in the condition of the coastal route from Greece (Sagiada border crossing) up through Albania-Montenegro to Dubrovnic as there seems to be varying reports on the internet ranging from poor with huge potholes to all good. :confused: We are driving a wobbly box and trailer back home after the Serres rally so all info gratefully received.

So.. Albania- In general the main roads are not terrible in most places but can hold surprises in others. As you would expect you need to be vigilant, there can be pot holes but be the main routes tend to be alright. Intersections can be poor and road works can be a challenge and one particular peculiarity is under some motorway bridges which can be an unsurfaced mess, for some reason I can't quite work out why. A couple of snippets for your perusal which might give you a taste.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFk2gG423UE and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjavB4iPux0

The FCO website advises not to motor at night, this is advice I would thoroughly endorse.

First question was about the coastal crossing at Konispol/Sagiada. The crossing itself is very modern and the SH97 running up to the final few miles to the border is in very good condition. I didn't take that road to Sarande, rather than that taking the SH81 which runs through the Butrint National park. The ferry crossing https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=39.743098,20.020151&hl=en&num=1&t=m&z=13 is the famed cable ferry featured in Top Gear http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r9AdZBIvsQ. I definitely wouldn't vote it wobblybox and trailer friendly!

A little further North, the road from Sarande to Vlore is a gem of motoring if you are considering going that way. Terrific views as the road winds and climbs along sections of coastline. The road surface is excellent but on my couple of visits in the hot weather I'd seen a few cars that had suffered mechanical trouble- but it should be fine for a modern van and there were a few about. It’s a hoot on a GS.

From Vlore on Durres and beyond things are quite reasonable with stretches of motorway and some good surfaces. Durres to Lezhe is some Motorway and fairly good. Again just be vigilant for things and you'll be fine.
North of Lezhe the road is straight and fine.

I've crossed the border to Montenegro here at https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=42.016907,19.372959&hl=en&num=1&t=m&z=12 following advice that the main SH1 crossing north of Koplik can be insanely busy with commercial traffic. This one has been relatively quiet the few times I've visited with a maximum of a dozen cars queueing to go over. On the Montenegro side the road is brand spanking new and the Albanian side is just fine. I met a woman with a cow in the road, but I'm pretty sure they'll have moved by now.

The main roads in Montenegro are fine with little to report. Kotor bay is lovely, there is a short-cut ferry (an actual proper ferry too, this ;) ) if you want to save a little time.

If you're heading along the coast to Dubrovnik I'll assume you'll be crossing here. https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=42.487289,18.437748&hl=en&num=1&t=m&z=12 All fine but there was construction on the Croatian side last summer which I'm sure would be finished by now, so the roads should be grand. Elsewhere in Croatia the roads were spot on pretty much everywhere.

Further North the cut through Bosnia Herzegovina via Neum https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=42.487289,18.437748&hl=en&num=1&t=m&z=12 links Croatia. No problems there and the border crossing is simple and quick. Petrol is very cheap in Neum (about £1 a litre) so it might be worth a fill up :thumb

Hope that helps, I'll post a bit more if I think of it..

What a star you are Roberto, I'm out the door soon but will fully absorb all the info when I get home, already concerned about that ferry:eek the outfit is heavy four bikes (one a GS) plus all the associated gear etc etc it may get beached. We had planned to overnight in the national park but may have to rethink that one.
Many thanks for taking the time to post all that great information.:clap

Cheers John

Took the Kotor Bay ferry, was going to ride the coast till I went round the corner and saw how far it was. Next stop Tirana to Sarande. I will try to digest your route and see if I can get Mapsource to co-operate. My Garmin Zumo has been very temperamental, turning itself off after a few mins, deleting routes at will and generally buggering me up. Still, life's rich tapestry and all that.

Heading down to Butrint to see the Roman ruins and the Blue Eye, mapsouce has no roads there, any advice you might have other than that above?

Took the Kotor Bay ferry, was going to ride the coast till I went round the corner and saw how far it was. Next stop Tirana to Sarande. I will try to digest your route and see if I can get Mapsource to co-operate. My Garmin Zumo has been very temperamental, turning itself off after a few mins, deleting routes at will and generally buggering me up. Still, life's rich tapestry and all that.

Kin Sat nav's have a habit of letting you down when you need them most, earlier this year my 550 started switching itself off after days of riding in the rain, had to replace the unit and the cradle!!! The water sits around the pins in the cradle and this I think is the problem.
Thanks for the updates we were planing to overnight at the Roman ruins in Bintrint next week but still worried about that ferry.

Heading down to Butrint to see the Roman ruins and the Blue Eye, mapsouce has no roads there, any advice you might have other than that above?

Only the main roads feature on the Garmin down that way, but when you get down to Sarande the town is a complete blank I'm afraid :(

Recommend the Hotel Brilant in Sarande, a very nice hotel and not expensive. It's on the eastern side of the bay, just off the SH81 coast road past the big Hotel Butrinti on the left :thumb

Last edited:
Ooh last thing Grez have you tried a 'soft' reset on the Zumo.. you can restart it by turning it on while pressing the [ + ] button (top left hard button. This wil force it to restart.
No data is lost by the way.

Recommend the Hotel Brilant in Sarande, a very nice hotel and not expensive. It's on the eastern side of the bay, just off the SH81 coast road past the big Hotel Butrinti on the left :thumb

Second that ! Huge rooms and good service. Safe parking for bike as well. Make sure you stop and have an explore of the National Park - incredible archeology on the main site down by the fabled ferry!

Looks like a place to stay in Saranda. Then it is getting home as I will possible leave Tuesday morning to get to Calais Sunday lunch for the train. Thoughts were to enter Greece, go up FYROM, into Serbia then through BH, Croatia and Slovenia a total of 2,800 kms. I make that to be around 3 1/2 days for me.

Not thought much about getting back but would like to go through Serbia but will need to avoid Kosovo. Any ideas? Happy to go back up Albania and through Montenegro into Serbia. As you might have gathered planning is not my style.

Sorry this is somewhat off the topic but was hoping for a bit of advice and possible routes that are interesting.

Hotel Brilant

Managed to book a room for 2 nights. Sat nav has no idea where it is so on the off chance anybody got co-ordinates or such like. If not I will find it as I found this place in Tirana eventually.

Cheers.

Managed to book a room for 2 nights. Sat nav has no idea where it is so on the off chance anybody got co-ordinates or such like. If not I will find it as I found this place in Tirana eventually.

Cheers.
The wonders of Google
http://www.booking.com/hotel/al/brilant-saranda.en-gb.html?aid=318615;label=New_English_EMEA_Hotel-PQhMAPvXPGitHmSwJpKn9wS25582878745%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg%3Akw_inurl%3Aen.html%23inurl%3Abooking.com%2Fhotel%3Aws%3D;sid=8f6c08d923d2a7316d4d2090416e04ab;dcid=1;srfid=bf9ab67f0c9258f0e3e17b5436c81cd3d6e3ff61X1

Only shows the town on Garmin but looks easy to do.

Back
Top Bottom