Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Hilltop Tune

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Before I had mine remapped I did the valve clearances, balanced the TB's and fitted a new air filter. Plugs were fairly new and the bike had been serviced only 1K prior. Geoff does 3 runs, the first in original state i.e as you rode it there, he then downloads the new map in (this takes about 15mins or so) and gives it a second run. He then tweaks the map based upon the second run and gives it a final third go on the dyno.

How does the remap work with the different engine modes on the bike ie rain, road, dynamic etc?

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    i'd like to add to the doubters of the increases in power of Sticks LC. i had my GSA done before him on the day. indeed his did make 121 at the rear wheel and mine did make 104 on the 3rd run. both bikes ran decat pipes and race silencers.. whilst a lot of you are correct to say that BMW quote 125 for the LC and 110 for mine. you must remember the transmission losses through shaft drive are far greater than that of a chain driven bike, which is the reason the rear wheel outputs seem low compared to BMW claims (at the Crank)
    on both our bikes the standard dyno run showed the line to have peaks and troughs all the way through to peak power. after the re-map the line was linear and smooth. you dont have to be clever or even into bikes to see the two graphs together, that the 2nd is better and correct
    horse power of course is only the end result, its the torque that will propel you down the road. my 30,000 mile GSA went from 68ft/lb to 88ft/lb a difference i noticed before i'd even left the car park at hilltops. the bike now runs a lot smoother and is running the correct fuel/air mixture. all BMW bikes are on the lean side (for world wide markets and fuel) and adding de-cat pipes etc can make them dangerously lean to the point inlet valve can burn out. this new CORRECT mixture make the bike smoother to ride and is the reason for the largish gains. but remember a whilst a 15/20% hike in power is lovely its not going to turn the bike into the fire breathing animal you think. it also gives you piece of mind all is fine on long fast tours. on the way home that day the trip computor recorded an increase of 2.5 MPG from 44.1 to 46.6 prooving its now running at it was engineered to.
    JOB DONE FOR ME...

I'm certainly interested. What nobody seems to be able to prove to me so far is that when I take my GS for a service and the dealer plug the bike in, the most recent software packages are uploaded to the bike.
    This would also mean any newer engine maps BMW have designed would be uploaded.

If i get my bike remapped at Hilltop tuning, would the above just not remove what Hilltop have done to the bike?

I'm just reluctant to shell out money if its only going to be wiped over whenever I take my bike in for service etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

it will not override the upload for more info call me ;-)

Have to agree a dealer software update will overwrite the map
    I remap cars as part of my job and when this happens we provide another map either at cost or free

Someone in either post #37 or #38 is lying, which one of you is it?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    Reply 37 is from Geoff at Hilltop, creator of the update software. I tend to think he knows what his product does better than most others who express an opinion about it. and yes, I am a satisfied customer of his.

#38 ain't pullin ya pisser and neither is Geoff ! I've had a vehicle remapped and a dealer did a reflashed update on the ecu on a service and wiped the map, the mapper than reflashed foc. Also when i had a pcv on a k-bike and a TC i was told not to allow the dealer to update the ecu.

Also Geoff did tell me that his maps cannot be flashed over, I'd presume its something to do with the security he uses in his software to prevent this.

OK, see your point, and it is quite expensive if you approach it as an experiment. I read a lot of opinion on here first, then did as NeoViper has suggested abd gave him a call. Geoff is honest and staight with you (, at least he was with me).
    He appears to have found a reliable method, and likely does not want to publish the full details on the Interweb inorder to protect his business.
    If the remap is too costly to "chance it", surely a phone call won't be too extravagant? Hilltop Motorcycles, Liecester, Google ...
    The only thing I am master of is my own destiny, and at best only half of it - the rest is entirely random.

Quote Originally Posted by Magwych View Post
    OK, see your point, and it is quite expensive if you approach it as an experiment. I read a lot of opinion on here first, then did as NeoViper has suggested abd gave him a call. Geoff is honest and staight with you (, at least he was with me).
    He appears to have found a reliable method, and likely does not want to publish the full details on the Interweb inorder to protect his business.
    If the remap is too costly to "chance it", surely a phone call won't be too extravagant? Hilltop Motorcycles, Liecester, Google ...
    Thanks Magwych for a reasonable and considered reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilsdorf View Post
    There is something not right in the before and after numbers, in my personal opinion, - a remap should increase power, a little, and improve fuelling - but virtually 30% increases in bhp should not be possible - it's not a turbo

agree 100%. I no longer believe these "remap" numbers.

Imagine how stupid the bmw engineers feel at the factory. A small outfit with a rolling road can get 30% more power out of an engine with just a laptop.

jeez.

As stated here and on other threads the 'before' figures always look far too low. Does Geoff open the throttle fully open on the first run ? (only joking)

Can I ask the Mods why these Hilltop threads aren't moved to the vendor section ? They seem to be selling a specific service rather than general discussion over tuning (the clue is in the title)
    2010 R1200GS
    07 Aprilia Tuono

Quote Originally Posted by APE View Post
    They seem to be selling a specific service rather than general discussion over tuning (the clue is in the title)
    OP is not a vendor , the vendor made some clarifications . General discussion about a specific tuning mod.
    If you have been affected,offended by any of the issues raised call free on 06213111566 . Not a fat cat...

Quote Originally Posted by APE View Post
    As stated here and on other threads the 'before' figures always look far too low. Does Geoff open the throttle fully open on the first run ? (
    Interesting comment. I met pair of TC GS owning bike brothers on the Isle of Man who often playfully raced each other around the circuit in TT week. The one who tended to be slower had his bike re-mapped and the dyno seemed to show a 25% increase. However when he brought his bike back to IoM he was still unable to beat his bro. And while some of that must be down to his riding style and skills he and his brother have since been suspicious of the data provided.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

The time I took my GS LC there, Geoff had 2 Motorrad Goldbet Superstock S100RR's he was working on. These teams have far more knowledge than I will ever have. If the likes of a BMW backed race team trust him to tune their bikes, it's good enough for me.

For the record I had similar results to Stick. The fuelling was way off with my de-cat Remus headers and Remus Can. Geoff showed me the difference in vibration from the handlebars before he started to alter the ECU and then after he had finished. You could feel the improvement.

Does it really matter what the numbers say. What does matter was I could feel the difference as soon as I left the garage. The throttle is so much sharper. The bike feels so responsive you can almost ride it in top gear everywhere, and the fuel consumption on the way home was 4 mpg better for the same speeds as the way there.

Having fitted Power Commanders to several bikes including my Versys commuter, a remap gives greater benefits and works out about £120 cheaper so it's a win win situation. Do I feel I have received value foe money. Definitely.

I will be visiting Geoff again as I have nothing but praise for his work. It seems everyone else on this site, who has used him, feels the same. The cynics will continue to denigrate as they generally do!!

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast