2014 RT

A guy on the R1200RT Facebook group took delivery of his RT WC in Switzerland this week and there were others in the showroom.

I wonder when the first ones will arrive in the UK? Not that it matters as I've ordered a GS WC instead :p

I think he was referring to the mildy amusing name with it's faintly comical sexual references.:)

Ahhh, never thought of that till you pointed it out. Shan't be able to keep a straight face next time I'm in there now....

just don't pause between saying the words and you will be alright:augie

Why does the fairing seem to be getting further and further forward with each new iteration? Look at the leading edge of the fairing in relation to the front wheel spindle. More and more of the bulk seems to be being shifted forward.

BMW-1986-K100-1.jpg

P0003183.jpg

It also seems to be getting lower. Greater gap between the screen and the rider seems to be a common trend too.

Why does the fairing seem to be getting further and further forward with each new iteration? Look at the leading edge of the fairing in relation to the front wheel spindle. More and more of the bulk seems to be being shifted forward.

BMW-1986-K100-1.jpg

P0003183.jpg

It also seems to be getting lower. Greater gap between the screen and the rider seems to be a common trend too.

Weight distribution maybe? With a pillion especially, and luggage, their is a lot of weight on the back end.

Wind protection on GSA and the RT looks good, even size looks the same .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 550

That is an interesting observation - it explains maybe why the protection against rain on my R1200RT isn't half as good as it was on my old R80RT, especially in busy traffic where speeds regularly drop under 60 mph - on the 1200 I get nearly just as wet as on my unfaired Buell, it just takes a little longer :) On the up-side, you do feel less "locked-in" while wind protection and stability is really good - just don't flog your waterproofs on eBay if you are planning to buy an RT.

I like the new 1200 - the "assisting" water-cooling and rotated cylinder-heads make a lot of sense and hopefully the wet clutch means an end to the regular (and very expensive) oil-seal/clutch repairs (I have suffered more than 10 since 1993 on 4 different 1100/1150/1200 models), hopefully the end-drives are a little more durable as well and if there is any more I could wish for then it would be a more winter-resistant finish and general resilience against corrosion. In other words, a BMW that actually matches its reputation for quality and reliability, like their cars and - oddly - the (otherwise rather boring-) K-series that always strike me as being a class better built than the boxers.

I am a little disappointed to see that the front suspension is not the same as on the latest K series, the old Telelever may have many virtues but being very subtle on edges and sharp holes isn't one of them.

Weight and fuel consumption seem a little higher than the old model but maybe that works out differently in actual use - my R1100RT was quite a bit heavier than the 1200 but seemed just as- if not more nimble so weight doesn't mean everything. Now were are those pies? ;)

I will probably buy one - in a few years time when all the brave early-buyers have completed their involuntary test-rider duty as I once did on the fragile and underdeveloped 1993 R1100RS.

I am a little disappointed to see that the front suspension is not the same as on the latest K series, the old Telelever may have many virtues but being very subtle on edges and sharp holes isn't one of them.

The Duolever on my K1200S (the newer, exciting K-series, not the old boring brick) lacked feel when making progress - I much prefer Telelever on the R-series.

As for the fairing nearly overhanging the front wheel, it's most likely for aerodynamic reasons. It's a more streamlined shape.

As for the fairing nearly overhanging the front wheel, it's most likely for aerodynamic reasons. It's a more streamlined shape.
To what end? Fuel efficiency? It certainly isn't for rider protection. As mentioned by robvanelst (above), the tendency to move the fairing forward reduces the weather protection. The larger the gap between the upper fairing/screen and the rider, the more of those annoying vortices that cause noise and buffeting are created.

Still, it's new, so some will buy it and swear that it's perfect, can't be bettered - until the next new one appears that is.

All that expensive wind tunnel testing.............what a waste of money eh!!! :rolleyes:
Whatever wind tunnel work is done is primarily for stability. Do you honestly think that BMW have a rider dummy of every size and shape of prospective owner?

[QUOTEDo you honestly think that BMW have a rider dummy of every size and shape of prospective owner?[/QUOTE]

Yes - why else could a tarted up version of a prehistoric bike cost so much??

:augie:augie:augie:augie:augie

Back
Top Bottom