2014 RT

I think I like it but I know that with a bit of time I will really like it. Much as my TC is the dog diddlys, the new one will gnaw away at me until I get one. Shit aren't we all shallow ?

You should worry. I've just bought a brand spanker GSA (Old but new obviously) & I REALLY like the look of the new RT.
:blast:blast:blast

I think I like it but I know that with a bit of time I will really like it. Much as my TC is the dog diddlys, the new one will gnaw away at me until I get one. Shit aren't we all shallow ?

I feel just the same as you but as I have only just picked up a new RT I had best wait at least 2 yrs.

This bit could be a winner for BMW

"Gear Shift Assistant Pro for smooth yet swift gear changing.
The BMW Gear Shift Assistant Pro that is available as an option ex-works represents a world first for production motorcycle manufacture. It enables upshifts and downshifts to be made without operation of the clutch or throttle valve in the load and rev speed ranges that are of relevance for riding, resulting not just in even greater comfort but in added dynamism, too."

Wonder if they have bought in to Zeroshift as used by Honda on the MotoGP bikes, I really hope so!

And what the 'eck does that mean in plain old english then ? more techno babble methinks.

Well, wow what a bike, not too many surprises, a few omissions.

I see from the outset a few have commented how the front fairing looks very big, but it may look different in the skin.

If you are sad enough like me and have put pictures of the previous and new side by side, you can see that actually is is not so much bigger, just trying to incorporate the headlight and radiators, and also duct the heat away from the rider.

And by doing this they may have lost a bit of the flowing lines, by the way these seem to have deminished by every model since the R1100RT-R1150RT-R1200RT, more so through design for the angular R1200RT, probably through function for the new bike.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

A bit miffed we did not get the full works Xenon adaptive headlight like the K1600, man I was looking forward to that. (Maybe we will see when the prices are launched, if the option was just too expensive) We just get the one dipped and two main beams, totally opposed to the current bike??? and we have lost the dash mounted adjuster, it is under the light somewhere. OK we do get the LED angle eyes Factory option.

I do admit the lovely new GS LED running light is quiet eye catching, but I am a biker, I am looking out for bikes, so I notice them, not too sure if I would rely on just the angle eyes to get me noticed, rather have a pair of badly set up headlights like the current bike (LOL)

I do like some of the design detail. The standoff roundel on the side panel and the floating trim on the rear pannier, the ally footrest hangers, I love the cockpit and integrated GPS, yes I know it is a Badged BMW Garmin ££££. I see they do two dashboards, one with and one with out the integrated GPS.

I have always loved the K1600 cockpit, and it looks great on the new RT, it looks like you can do everything from there

The fairings seem a bit lost around the new motor, but I suppose with the inlets at 12 o'clock and the exhaust at 6 o'clock, they have done their best to try and mould around it.

With the lack of protection from a short front mudguard, I bet that chrome on the exhaust balance pipe will soon be shot blasted. Also the screws on that chrome exhaust trim behind the riders right foot, I bet they would be a bitch to get out after a few salty years. I see the Akraprovic exhaust uses a carbon guard
There are lots of nooks and crannies around the swing arm pivot, but that was all under plastic on the current bike, the tube running through the air box is a bit ugly though, maybe another panel to cover this triangle of Urgh?

Anyone else think it does ring of the R1200ST? Faintly?

Front mudguard, as short as normal, front of motor does look easier to clean, I hope the paint is not gonna drop off.

And then we find out it is heavier than the current bike, yes all these advances in Can bus and composites, and it is heavier.

Ok yes I know it has some water and rads, but are they really 20 kilos more than the R1200RT?
I bet once you are up and running you will not notice it, but now we are only 5 kilograms off the R1150RT.

Mind you I can't believe the 1200GSA is 260 kilograms.

Will I buy one? Yes

When? Maybe this time next year, but I am suppose to be riding to Turkey, and around the Black Sea, so do I take a 60K well proven 2005 RT or a fairly new and unproven bike.

Really though, I will not be able to afford to do both, so maybe I will get one in 2015

Very minor point but it's a shame they have done away with the rail mountable tank bag...so easy to put on and take off.

Purely so they can sell you a new one I`d guess, I agree its a shame. Hard to tell from the pics so far but I`d be surprised if the old topbox fits the new bike either:blast

Having said that I do like it rather a lot and will be taking one out when it arrives at dealers.:thumb2

I look forward to seeing it in the flesh more so than the GSA as I am beginning to think I am leaning more towards the K & RT than the GS these days.

The K was amazing great weather protection etc etc but a bit pricy so hopefully the RT will have similar qualities but at a more sensible price.

Certainty looking forward to riding it more than the WC GSA.

In regards to looks I firmly believe the 1150 was the best looking RT great lines/curves not so angular.

I am soooo glad I bought the current model early this year, it'll take me 2 or 3 years to get used to the new fugly one.

Agree with Yellow Peril about the R1150RT.

I have to say I am not keen - maybe it will grow on me......

I think the front end looks a little "Barbra Streisand" and the Panniers now look bulbous almost like they are not part of the RT anymore.

The whole Water Cooled thing now means change of side for the exhaust on both RT and GS - a real pain for GS owners with luggage but not so bad for RT owners.

Bar raisers look like they would be a problem.....

Rik

Good Points: I like the integrated look for the sat-nav mounting (like the K1600)...it's shiny

Bad Points: Ugly front, centre low beam headlight looks weird, rings are ok but really a bit gimmicky, no apparent lower fairing? Doesn't look as "complete" as the old model". Switch gear will be shit (still). That whole sodding bike version of the "i-drive" is dumb, dumb, dumb and sooooo unsafe. Whats wrong with normal switches/button??

I like the built-in Satnav mount, but it looks like you're fxxxed if you want bar risers...

Attachments

• 11qixkn.jpg
    11qixkn.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 580
it'll take me 2 or 3 years to get used to the new fugly one.
Every new RT/GS/S... brought out is hated by some, when the new 1100RT came out I thought it plug-ugly but eventually got one found just how good it was (and still is :p )

BTW, love the new RT, but doubt I'll be getting one :(

looks like you're fxxxed if you want bar risers...
That's saved us all some Brass then :D

I think someone will bring out bar risers that just fit into same fixing points as original ones are.

I note that there are no apparent fixings for your own sat nav either. There are several options on the current RT. I think I'll have to ride one and decide. Just test ridden a K1600GT. Wow, what a bike. Liked the sat nav mount.

Another "only a minor point" . . . . I regret the further loss of cubby hole space (you can just about get an iPhone or loose change in the twin mini cubby holes on the 2014RT).

I also regretted the loss of cubby hole space when going from my 1150RT to my 1200RT.

I also regretted the loss of cubby hole space when going from my K75RT to my 1150RT

Ah well, that's progress I suppose !

Back
Top Bottom