2014 RT

I note that there are no apparent fixings for your own sat nav either. There are several options on the current RT. I think I'll have to ride one and decide. Just test ridden a K1600GT. Wow, what a bike. Liked the sat nav mount.
This is a shame. I have the Migsel mount at present but have a RAM ball mount on one of the handlebar nuts for other fittings.

Another "only a minor point" . . . . I regret the further loss of cubby hole space (you can just about get an iPhone or loose change in the twin mini cubby holes on the 2014RT).

I also regretted the loss of cubby hole space when going from my 1150RT to my 1200RT.

I also regretted the loss of cubby hole space when going from my K75RT to my 1150RT

Ah well, that's progress I suppose !

How much space is there without radio I wonder? I opted for no radio and have a very large compartment to use.

How much space is there without radio I wonder? I opted for no radio and have a very large compartment to use.

Those speakers look huge, do you get storage in place of them when you opt for 'no radio'?. Is it just me or do those storage pods look like an afterthought?.

They do a little don't they. Look like they'd be tough to open with the handle bars in different positions. Also after riding the K1600GT, I found it quite annoying having to go through the mode to turn the seat and handlebar seating on and it appears the RT is the same.

Also after riding the K1600GT, I found it quite annoying having to go through the mode to turn the seat and handlebar seating on and it appears the RT is the same.

You can set them as a favourite, so you go straight to them as opposed to having to scroll through to them :thumb

Looking at all the pics I started to warm to it but....bit heavy

K16 319kg
New Rt 274kg
New GSA 260kg
Current Rt 259kg
GS 238kg

The old RT weight is given without panniers and the new RT with panniers. This subtle difference is only "spelt out" clearly on the German BMW website. According to a BMW employee the new feels somewhat lighter to push around than the old version.

Likewise the K16GT weight is given without panniers on most country websites and I believe the GTL is with panniers and topbox. This would account for much of the quoted 30 kg weight difference between the two.

This was no doubt done in the name in the name of headline figures.

Having said that, I have been trying to compare the weight of the 1200RT vs the plain R, and therefore to have the "without" weights is most useful.

Well, well ... I have just looked on the German website and suddenly the GT now weighs 332kg - with panniers! :augie Still 319kg on the UK website.

Sat Nav

And how do you remove the SatNav to load your routes from the computer??. Will the Sat nav store as many routes as the old Zumo? Hmmm..

The old RT weight is given without panniers and the new RT with panniers. This subtle difference is only "spelt out" clearly on the German BMW website. According to a BMW employee the new feels somewhat lighter to push around than the old version.

Thanks for that, I'll take one out when the demo arrives in march (ish). I quite like the look of the cockpit area, all the knobs wheels and buttons are not an issue for me . Need to see one parked up just in case it's hideous look improves any.

I really like it. Better looking than the Trophy that's for sure.

Ditto. For me it's the best looking touring bike out there. Seriously thinking of paying 15 hot ones in order to become a development rider again.

Looks

This was the stand out bike for me at the NEC I love the new front end, money permitting I would now prefer the RT to the GS/GSA

Surprised they didn't go for keyless ignition. Does it come with central locking panniers/top box ?

I for one do not like the rack mounted tank bag on the old RT, its easy to take on/off but crap to carry around. I don't bother with it unless we are going away for several days.

I bought a 90th edition so a wc RT replacement is at least two years away, hopefully by then all niggles will be sorted.

I agree about the keyless igintion. I also thought they may have gone for a keyless fuel cap - which I use much more than the pannier locks.

This was the stand out bike for me at the NEC I love the new front end, money permitting I would now prefer the RT to the GS/GSA

I agree I thought It looked great at the NEC much less ugly bulk at the front than current model. If they can get the new engine/gearbox sorted could be a notable improvement in riding pleasure. Will it be able to compete with the turbine smoothness, rock solid handling and complete reliability of my 96 Pan purchased for £1400 ? don't think it will be 10x better somehow, but I suppose that's not the point !

I agree I thought It looked great at the NEC much less ugly bulk at the front than current model. If they can get the new engine/gearbox sorted could be a notable improvement in riding pleasure. Will it be able to compete with the turbine smoothness, rock solid handling and complete reliability of my 96 Pan purchased for £1400 ? don't think it will be 10x better somehow, but I suppose that's not the point !

After owning 2 ST1300 Pans, there is no way you can even try to compare them engine wise, V 4 or twin ?? come on it doesn't matter which make they'll never be comparable. As to complete reliability ? not quite, but certainly a lot better than anything else on the road. Rock solid handling ? yes, but also bland/boring IMHO , the Pan is like a car on two wheels.

yes, but also bland/boring IMHO , the Pan is like a car on two wheels.
So having owned both I'm guessing you think there is something less boring/ more engaging in the RT than the Pan ? Wind protection on RT generally thought to be best in class so I'm guessing it comes down to engine/ handling. I must say comparing my GSA TC and St1100 I find the transition from low revs to mid range more satisfying on the Pan. Be interested to hear more of your opinion on this.... and I'm looking forward to test riding the new RT.

Back
Top Bottom