Am I mad???

RJT_Berlin

Reaction score
Seriously considering selling the 2009 GSA

Love the bike, is fun every time i get on it, but problem is, i hardly do

Done 1300km this year including one big weekend to poznan and back (600 km)

As much as it is fun, struggling to see the capital tied up and the running costs for that - not to mention depreciation that will become more with new model approaching

Tough one, dont know what i expect to hear tbh

Fantastic bike whatever i decide to do

Your decision is purely a financial one. If you can afford an expensive toy that you dont use often and depreciation does not bother / affect you then keep it. Otherwise sell it and use the money elsewhere. :rob

Is not like i need the money immediately and doesnt mean i am giving up biking, just considering selling up and buying something cheaper as the demand far exceed the capability - is a tough one though as i love the bike....

If you don't need the money keep the bike.
:thumby:

If you do, don't.

I have been through this dilemma, sold an 08 GSA bought a Blackbird, all for the same reason did not want the capital tied up and not being used I have to say it was a waist of time only ever road the Blackbird a few times, Too fast Too uncomfortable Too small range, now own an 09 GSA and loving riding again, if you want my advice DON'T DO IT.

If you sold it then decided later to buy another, how much extra would it cost you ??

If it owes you nothing I would hang on to it.

I will quite happily come out to Berlin and ride the GS. The Grunewald must be nice at this time of the year.

Seriously considering selling the 2009 GSA

Love the bike, is fun every time i get on it, but problem is, i hardly do

Done 1300km this year including one big weekend to poznan and back (600 km)

As much as it is fun, struggling to see the capital tied up and the running costs for that - not to mention depreciation that will become more with new model approaching

Tough one, dont know what i expect to hear tbh

Fantastic bike whatever i decide to do

Yes - you are stark raving mad! Keep the GS or buy a new one to give you that shiny new bike syndrome that will make sure you go out riding!

If you sold it then decided later to buy another, how much extra would it cost you ??

If it owes you nothing I would hang on to it.

Bang on. :)

Also with the bike in the garage you have an excuse to get away from time to time. It doesn't have to be a cross continent tour. ;)

i did a similar thing , i bought an 05 r1200gs three years ago i kept it for a year ,then i part exchanged it for a new shape hayabusa ,mmm that didnt last long ,to damn uncomftable and most of all to fast 100mph it was just ticking over ,guess what i now got another r1200gs ,a ten plate one , i should have kept the 05 in the first place but hey ho you gota get these things out of your system.
i am more than happy with my new bike and will be learning from past mistakes.

Totally mad (speaking as an expert) - KEEP THE BIKE!!!!!!

Anytime you really need the money these bikes turn back into cash quite easily, in the meantime even if it's only one decent trip a year it's a lot cheaper than hiring.

Just for the sheer joy of owning one of these bikes they are worth every euro, my last Adventure was sold with 325 miles on the clock and I STILL did not regret buying it (because all the time I had it the bike would have been there and ready had an opportunity presented itself).

Trade it in on something you may ride more often that's more fun as you don't need to cover big miles but enjoy just riding out ,get the new NINE T its a get on an ride bike without thinking about having to globetrot :clap

Trade it in on something you may ride more often that's more fun as you don't need to cover big miles but enjoy just riding out ,get the new NINE T its a get on an ride bike without thinking about having to globetrot :clap

Wouldn't that mean spending more money & having more cash tied up in his bike? It doesn't appear to be a lack of enjoyment of his GSA, more a lack of opportunity.

I can't bear to lose money on my bikes when I part with them either if I don't have to !

I suppose that's why there's now 11 of them sat in my garage :D

+1

I am in a part of my life where I just commute, no time for trips due to family etc, have traded in for a motard style Aprilia 1200 just to see what they are like, something different (that is maybe the singular problem with GS, theres too many!) and may well go back to GS one day when I have time and space for trips and long rides, but for now its fun and I don't care it needs filling up every 100 miles!

I would say do it but only if theres something you really want to have a go with, not just because you think the GS is sitting idle, as has been said it will always get you some cash come the day you part with it.

Last edited:
For those who dont want to lose money when selling a bike get one of these -

201204122102170.Honda%20XL250%20Motorsport%20002.JPG

or these -

1976_GT750A_450.jpg

They won't handle or stop but (until bikes get banned) they dont lose money in depreciation.

Is the problem that the GS is not an exciting bike to ride? I wasn't using mine much until I started doing some touring and I find it is very good for that. I now also have a sports bike which is not only fun to ride it is also mind-blendingly fast and sphincter-troublingly tempting to ride fast on.

Love riding the GS, easiest bike i have ever ridden, but work, girlfriend, other commitments stop me riding it..... Commute is only 4km each way and berlin isnt the most fun place to ride a bike...... You need 1hr minimum to get out of the city....... Also my biking mate doesnt live here, meaning i do it all alone

Has nothing to do with the bike, it is great, is to do with not using it enough to jstify having that capital and depreciation sitting in a garage.....

Back
Top Bottom