ACF50 Maintenance Question?

gsbiker

Reaction score
I'm a fair weather rider and only ride for pleasure. I don't usually ride when it's salty but I have to ride 200 miles on Tuesday to check out my Power Commander and no doubt will pick up some road salt hence why I've ACF50'd my bike.

My question is as the bike picks up salt and gets dirty what is the general rule of thumb through the Winter?

1. Do nothing - do not add anymore ACF50, do not wash the bike, wash off in the Spring?
2. Wash off and reapply?
3. Do not wash the bike but keep adding more ACF50, wash off in the Spring?

Answer 1 should be the correct one but for me its 2 aswell!!

I'm an OCD old fart who can't resist the temptation of washing a dirty GS then reapplying even more ACF50...........I've got a G650GS ACF50'd for the winter with the idea of riding through all the mud and salt without giving a sh*t ...........Its sitting in the shed at the moment 'spotless'!:blast

FP.:thumb2

Answer 1 should be the correct one but for me its 2 aswell!!

I'm an OCD old fart who can't resist the temptation of washing a dirty GS then reapplying even more ACF50...........I've got a G650GS ACF50'd for the winter with the idea of riding through all the mud and salt without giving a sh*t ...........Its sitting in the shed at the moment 'spotless'!:blast

FP.:thumb2

I think I'm the same way myself! It will be difficult to leave the bike dirty through winter as I like a clean bike BUT I like the idea that I can ride it whenever & wherever through the winter as I tend to only ride when it's dry to avoid too much cleaning! :)

3 works fine too, even if you don't bother with the washing it off bit.

No2. Even though you apply ACF50 you want to be sure to cover every bit. That you cannot be sure of and corrosion will start in the more inaccessible places were the salt solution lingers longer. The other thing with ACF50 is that it is a bugger to wash off with all the road grime. Best bit of advice I had to keep a bike looking like new, wash it regularly, a little bit of cleaning every time is better than a big clean some time. My bike is 4 years old and has been used in all kinds of weather except in snow and hail. It is almost as clean as the day I bought it except for a few tar spots on the front of the engine.

ACF 50......Mass hysteria.

Give your bike a thorough clean and polish Spring and Autumn if you go out on wet salty roads rinse off in cold water on your return.

Not saying ACF50 doesn't do what it says on the tin,just totally unnecessary IMHO

I do as I've said above and never had any corrosion problems with any bike I've owned from new.

Yes I do ride all year.

Mate of mine coated his bike in the stuff a couple of years ago..never looked the same again there where areas where the stuff would not come off.

Steve

I'm a fair weather rider and only ride for pleasure. I don't usually ride when it's salty but I have to ride 200 miles on Tuesday to check out my Power Commander and no doubt will pick up some road salt hence why I've ACF50'd my bike.

My question is as the bike picks up salt and gets dirty what is the general rule of thumb through the Winter?

1. Do nothing - do not add anymore ACF50, do not wash the bike, wash off in the Spring?
2. Wash off and reapply?
3. Do not wash the bike but keep adding more ACF50, wash off in the Spring?

I have given mine a good dose of ACF50 and ride all year riding to work every day so at the weekends I give it a wash and use Scottoiler F365 after each wash. never had any corrosion issues.

Terry

Done the same

another for answer 1 - but have to agree with Wrinkleyowlie there were places that it tainted - not rust you understand but certainly tainted

Back
Top Bottom