Turning a 1200GS

Theonionman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anybody ever attempted to turn/spin a 1200GS on its side stand? (engine off and parked up of course). I've seen it done with sports bikes and there are plenty of Youtube clips demonstrating it - but a GS ???

It's well balanced so I reckon it's doable but the question is why? It's a seriously heavy bike if it all goes wrong!

It's a hell of a lot of weight to put on the side stand hinge....not a good idea unless it HAS to be done if you've been blocked in somehow IMO.

If you need to do it regularly, better to find a more mechanically sound approach....the Hein Gericke/Wunderlich etc centre stand turntable works brilliantly on a smooth surface :)

147637d1246348488-garage-storage-how-make-fit-img_4305_park-n-move_800.jpg

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Hv_f48LqGr0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

..... :D

The side stand is strong enough to take my weight as I get on/off the bike (and its previous owner who was bigger than me) without any sign of strain. Its an 08 bike with 45K on the clock. Most of the weight goes straight down the stand leg so I'm sure the leg would cope but would I be able to balance it properly?

Turning a bike or climbing on the sidestand always makes me cringe - especially turning, the bike is really heavy so the torque applied to the sidestand hinge must be enormous unless the bike is on ice!

We were taught to do it on the ORS course. Its fine, and plenty strong enough, but don't quote me on that if it all goes wrong.:p:D

I actually find it easier turning it on the centre stand pulled over to one side and pivot on the non exhaust side....

I used to spin mine on the side stand every day, I user to put one of those puck things under to help it spin. It's easy once you've got the hang of it!

Slightly off topic but one of the things I really like about the GS is how easy it is to shove around. Relatively light weight, good grab points and good leverage towards and away from you due to the height of your grab point. So easy to get on centre stand. All of this is night and day difference to my trusty old Pan ST1100. Low, heavy and having to be very slow and careful all the time, especially when pushing off centre stand on any kind of slope. I fling the adventure about quite casually - you just know what going to happen next.....

Back
Top Bottom