jockey shift and mini apes

yes ive ridden a reliant based trike it had foot clutch gear shift inbetween your legs snd hand throttle once youve done it a few times it becomes naturall and you dont think to much ,granted it was a trike so your not going to fall over but the principle and action is the same ,ill look into it a bit more but i think ill definatley go for mini apes

Saw a bloke on an old Indian with this set up in Matlock a couple of years ago! the bike looked and sounded ace.
When he was leaving he drew quite a crowd, so played up to it by revving it up as he did a u- turn in the middle of the road, unfortunately it all went wrong and he had a big spill right in front of my daughter and I, looked like he bust his leg. I went tp pick his bike up which had stalled but was still in gear but couldn't understand where the clutch was. My daughter didn't want to get back on my bike as it upset her seeing it all unfold so close.

Now then…Dave Dave Dave…Far be it for me to set myself up as an arbiter of good taste etc BUT…here is my opinion:

Suicide clutch/Jockey shift – Flathead/45/Knucklehead/old Indian – cool as fuck.

Suicide clutch/Jockey shift – Twin Cam – seriously naff and uncool, trying just a bit too hard and seriously affected.

Your bike, your money – do with it as you see fit. Just my opinion. :thumb

Edit: After a moment or two's thought, I think the only way you would get back into the cool part of the graph again would be if you were disabled and could not change gear using the normal foot operated lever. There is nothing for it but to cut your leg off, then it would be pretty cool.

Edit 2: No, sorry, what was I thinking. If you cut your leg off on purpose to look cool it becomes contrived and uncool. Cool is so complicated!

I machined a shift arm and linkage for my friend Don's bike awhile back (see pics). He had bought a kit but the components were really crap, despite the hefty price tag of the stuff. And he wanted it moved further forward on the bike....

It was very easy to make and I'd suggest you make your own rather than buying the parts.
Tried to ride it a couple of times, but had no real feel for smooth shifts - mostly operator error as Don had no issue with it at all.

After these pics were taken, he did add some apes to it - I'll see if I can find a pic of it.

yes ive ridden a reliant based trike it had foot clutch gear shift inbetween your legs snd hand throttle once youve done it a few times it becomes naturall and you dont think to much ,granted it was a trike so your not going to fall over but the principle and action is the same ,ill look into it a bit more but i think ill definatley go for mini apes

Tell you what, get yourself up here before you go that route and Ill arange for you to have a go on bike so equiped. I will video the hill start/left turn for posting here....... :D

I machined a shift arm and linkage for my friend Don's bike awhile back (see pics). He had bought a kit but the components were really crap, despite the hefty price tag of the stuff. And he wanted it moved further forward on the bike....

......It was very easy to make and I'd suggest you make your own rather than buying the parts.
Tried to ride it a couple of times, but had no real feel for smooth shifts - mostly operator error as Don had no issue with it at all.

After these pics were taken, he did add some apes to it - I'll see if I can find a pic of it.

I really, really like that bike....:cool:

unfortunatly i think melch is right (damm you melch) and it is trying to hard ,but the mimi apes yes and i get to keep my leg and no broken arm

No.....go your own way Brother......ignore the fashionista, they are the sheep that follow.....practice the black-art that is suicide shifting, then tower above the conformists......to suffer for your art is a noble thing indeed....:thumb2

No.....go your own way Brother......ignore the fashionista, they are the sheep that follow.....practice the black-art that is suicide shifting, then tower above the conformists......to suffer for your art is a noble thing indeed....:thumb2

Bollocks…you just want to see him lunch it! :D

I had 1917 and 1925 HD where this was the standard control setup and I found it easier to ride, as it is so different to the normal control, than the simple swop of LH and RH foot changes that are where I tended to brake on the gear lever etc.
The early HD foot clutch was not suicide as it would lock in the disengaged position the suicide is a foot version of the hand clutch, need to hold/press it to retain disengagement.
I notice hand change was available into the evo era on police models.
The Indian system was even better some with the throttle rolling forwards to accelerate and some with LH throttle, put that lot together and make your first ride in a very large open space!

How very dare you !! Dave is a good friend and Brother...no...wait.....actually it would be quite amusing wouldn't it? :D

Let me know when and I'll bring my camera. :D

Back
Top Bottom