Garage Doors...Advice Needed

stevemersey

Reaction score
After a recent break in when they managed to remove both my R1200GS and the wife's XCountry (Luckily my son saw them, we gave chase and got them both back!), I am wanting to fit a new more secure garage door.

Currently we have an old flimsy metal up and over.
I am considering a Seceuroglide Excel roller or a Hormann sectional.
It has to be secure, look OK next to our old house, and be convenient to use.

Anyone any experience of these doors or can recommend another?

After a recent break in when they managed to remove both my R1200GS and the wife's XCountry (Luckily my son saw them, we gave chase and got them both back!), I am wanting to fit a new more secure garage door.

Currently we have an old flimsy metal up and over.
I am considering a Seceuroglide Excel roller or a Hormann sectional.
It has to be secure, look OK next to our old house, and be convenient to use.

Anyone any experience of these doors or can recommend another?

Morning.... We have Hormann sectional doors on our garage fitted about 3 years ago, and we live in a 1930s house, in my opinion blend in well....

As far as security goes... I am more than happy... We have no external locks or way of accessing unless you have the key code..

If you want to have a look before you spend.... Not cheap.... Happy for you to call around as I'm only in Chester...

Thebuyer,
Thanks for the offer, can you have the door part open, or just fully open or fully closed?

In 20 yrs ive not come across a door that cannot be opened within a couple of mins and no special tools are needed either.
I'd highly recommend you do not buy a roller door, I've not come across one that cannot be opened within a couple of mins, even if they carry the SBD (secured by Design) within a couple mins your in.

Horman sectional is your best chance at keeping bods out, however stick a remote control opener on the door and it has less security and yet again it can be opened rather easy if you no what to do. So if you go down the sectional route, leave it manual operated.

There are various section doors on the market now and some are real rubbish, cheap as chips and poor quality, you can't go wrong with the horman sec you will pay a premium, its worth it for the added benefit you no your stuff in the garage will hopefully be there in the morn and your buying a quality product.

Securoglide are owned by SWS uk they use a French tubular motor in there doors, ive replaced hundreds with a Germany tubular thats far better quality, they are the leading brand when it comes to roller doors and are of reasonable quality apart from the motors, but thats manly due to fitters fitting the wrong NM motors in the door. The most common issues with roller doors are the straps snapping (these pull the door up)

We've just had a Hormann sectional electric fitted. Very happy, much more secure than the manual one-piece up and over. Garage Doors Lancashire fitted (http://www.garagedoorslancs.co.uk), did a good job.

Just a thought re a roller door, I've been told that they can be a bit rattly in the wind (I can't vouch for this - it may be nonsense).

I have just replaced my two garage doors with another pair of roller doors. I have the electrics fitted and the latest ones come with aluminium guides which makes them much quieter. As for security, we'll, we're all at the mercy of who really wants into your garage because if some scrote is determined to get in, they will.

Just a thought re a roller door, I've been told that they can be a bit rattly in the wind (I can't vouch for this - it may be nonsense).

Some yes, depends who the manufacture is, SWS door panels lock into each other when fully closed so it should not rattle if correctly set up by the fitters there should be no movement in the door when closed this will prevent the rattle issue.

Davy is 100% correct if they want in they will get in, all you can do is make it harder, I've seen garage doors with security like fort-Knox and the last one did not stop them taking an e-type .,

FIT AN ALARM

For a garage its a piece of piss, only really need one PIR detector, assuming you have power in there.
The bell box on its own may dissuade an opportunist.
Big fuck off padlock will also slow them down ?

New garage doors can be pricey, a wired alarm you can get for around £60 with all you need.

HTH:nenau

+ another 1 for Hormann sectional. I didn't go for remote operation, because my supplier/fitter (a friend in the business) advised more secure with manual operation. But NOTHING is going to stop some Scrote from hooking something under it and pulling with a van.
The keys are 5 groove, so not easy (well I struggled) to find blanks for new/extra. Ask the fitter for extra keys/blanks if you need them.
You could drill the runners so you can add an additional internal padlock as extra security (to block the runner wheels). A bit of a faff, but more peace of mind if your leaving it for holiday etc.
Mine doesn't rattle in the wind BTW. Mine will only fully open/fully close, except it will "ballance" about 25% open.
Also +1 for a garage PIR alarm.

Thanks everyone - I think Hormann sectional is looking the favourite. I have already fitted a PIR sensor plus a few other things including a baby monitor to pick up any noise. Off to ask for quotes.

Ask Kenny what it would take to stop him getting in :D

Are Hormann sectional doors ok for constant every day use?

We use use the side door of our house as the main point of entry, which means having to first go through my garage, which currently has side hinged doors. We are in/out of the garage door numerous times throughout the day, so I'm not sure if a sectional door would be appropriate?

I got 2 cars nicked with access to the house gained via the up and over garage door.

The cheap solution is to drill bolts on each side through the door/frame and into the masonry.

Practical as well as secure (as long as you remember to slide them home when you have shut the door :augie ).

I have had big heavy box section metal hinged across the inside of the garage door at a height where you need an army of scrotes to lift the bike over the bars (you cant get it under). Its got a big feck off padlock on one side and hinge on the other. Garage door can be opened but you can only remove whatever fits in your pockets :augie.

Are Hormann sectional doors ok for constant every day use?

Since starting this thread I have purchased a Hormann sectional and I am very pleased. It is ideal for every day use. If I am heading to the garage I press the remote and it is open by the time I get there. If I am inside working then I can close it part way. It seals really well, is insulated, and it feels very solid. Everything is well made and it looks like it will give years of trouble free service.

Does anyone have fitting instructions for a Hormann Motiv 970 door please, someone I know has purchased a 2nd hand door but without instructions.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom