Wilbers shocks (or something else?)

Antti

Reaction score
I'm about to improve suspension of my 1100 and looks like it'll be Wilbers shocks.

At rear shock would be equipped with hydraulic preload adjustment and external reservoir.
Front would just regular emulsion shock.

But is there any change to set preload with out removing shock from the bike?
Some other manufacturers have the setting at bottom of the shock but looks like Wilbers has it at top.

And recommends for other manufacturers in same price class would be welcome.
Can Hagon be even compared to Wilbers? I think they have omproved last years?

I'm afraid that Öhlins and WP would cost too much this time.

I can't be arsed to unchain the man cave to check but I'm pretty sure that it's the pre load adjuster ring but I've always been a suspension numpty and haven't changed the set up since revs fitted them

I can't be arsed to unchain the man cave to check but I'm pretty sure that it's the pre load adjuster ring but I've always been a suspension numpty and haven't changed the set up since revs fitted them

Why not?

Blue or red knob for rebound

2 spring collars for preload and yes they are at the bottom, on the front

Now I get your drift

Bloody hell I was right
Never needed to alter it as the set up is great as it is and me meddling will only spoil it ! I will have to add some preload when Susan comes out with me tho

In this pic setting rings are at top..
I`ll ask from the factory. If theyre at top I`ll get HPA at front too or think something else.

imagethumb.php

In this pic setting rings are at top..

I`ll ask from the factory.

If theyre at top I`ll get HPA at front too or think something else.

imagethumb.php

No need

They are, just checked mine fitted

Preload Rings definitely at the top...............................kinda stooopid:blast

On my other bike, with Ohlins they're at the bottom

Much more sensible

No need

They are, just checked mine fitted

Preload Rings definitely at the top...............................kinda stooopid:blast

On my other bike, with Ohlins they're at the bottom

Much more sensible

Just out of interest, can you feel the difference between the Ohlins and Wilburs on the road?

Just out of interest, can you feel the difference between the Ohlins and Wilburs on the road?

Personally I think the Ohlins bike, feels better and always has - just a little bit more precise and it certainly is easier to get set up and also adjust on the fly

The Wilbers bike is ok, but was certainly harder to get the suspension 'dialled in' and adjusted to my liking - got it something like now

Hard to explain unless you ride both back to back

If I was buying again, I think I would go for Ohlins if they did a suitable fitment for that particular bike

If I was buying again, I think I would go for Ohlins if they did a suitable fitment for that particular bike

Thanks - it's good to hear from someone who uses both. It seems there is a lot of brand loyalty on this topic but not always a subjective view :hide

A number of threads on here and Advrider where people on big trips have had problems with Wilbers and Ohlins kit. It is suggested that the toughest units are HyperPro. I haven't used them (yet) so can't give a personal experience. It is likely to be what I fit to my S10 when the standard item deteriorates.

Ever thought of an OE suspension rebuild by a trusted firm? I had a Tiger 1050 re done by MCT suspension in the UK and the guy told me it would now be performing as good as an Ohlins unit but would be unable to tweak it as much as one. TBH I never felt the need to as it transformed the bike :D

Wilbers no remote adjusters just factory set to your specs then ride it :thumb2:thumb2

Wilbers offer a remote adjuster if you ask. Ohlins should be better they cost a lot more. Hagon are a bit cheaper but nothing special and often too stiff, so my vote is Wilbers.

North Oxford have fitted Hyperpro shocks so worth discussing with them. The factory is near Oxford.

I've got Nitrons on my 1100 and they have transformed the ride. Plenty of adjustability and they look nice too. Also built to you - they took my weight, pillion weight, luggage weight and riding style when I ordered them.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Wilbers no remote adjusters just factory set to your specs then ride it :thumb2:thumb2

What happens when you get to the Alps and want to adjust the settings to take account of hotter temps or more challenging roads, that's when you want to tweak the rebound or compression damping:blast

Back
Top Bottom