Fitting new brake lines - tips or hints?

Slipperyeel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This weekend i will finally be fitting new stainless brake lines to my GS (Brembo calipers and ABS). Still on the original hoses so looking forward to some improvement and no more worries about a hose bursting!

I've done this before in the distant past on other bikes, so will get straight on with it. However, i did wonder if anyone has any tips they might share. For example, i was thinking to first replace the hose from the master to the hard line into the ABS and bleed that. Then move on downwards.

Any tips welcome! Thanks :thumb2

This weekend i will finally be fitting new stainless brake lines to my GS (Brembo calipers and ABS). Still on the original hoses so looking forward to some improvement and no more worries about a hose bursting!

I've done this before in the distant past on other bikes, so will get straight on with it. However, i did wonder if anyone has any tips they might share. For example, i was thinking to first replace the hose from the master to the hard line into the ABS and bleed that. Then move on downwards.

Any tips welcome! Thanks :thumb2

Just replace the whole lot then fill up with new fluid and bleed. Took me 2.5 hours in total on mine (2003 GS with servo abs) If you follow the step by step bleeding procedure it's easy, in fact the servos do most of the work for you.

John

Thanks for that. I'll take your advise and do the same!

Cheers

If you find that the brakes feel spongy after you have bled them,try clamping/tying the front brake lever back to the grip and leave it for 24 hrs.
This enables all the remaining air bubbles to rise and exit through the master cylinder.

Brembo calipers, no servo? If so easy.

If servo, tank off to access the servo as you have to add the fluid to the servo reservoir in order to bleed the lines from the servo to the calipers. Not hard, more time consuming.

P.S. +1 Colban, worked a treat on my son's CB500.

Thanks Steptoe, good point. I guess I was thinking to keep as much fluid in the system as possible throughout the switch over. But I think I'll just take all the houses off, put new ones on then deal with the air in one go.

Thanks for the tip on holding in the brake lever. Neve done this but with all the air it's going to have, this might well be s good addition!

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

(1) It can't be stressed enough not to get brake fluid on your painted surfaces. This job will provide plenty of opportunities for spilling some. Beware of pulling the front brake handle or pressing the rear brake pedal while the reservoirs are open - they may shoot brake fluid out.

(2) I have a 2000 GS with the same brakes/ABS as you. I use a Mityvac. Before I changed out the hoses, I bled all of the fluid I could get out of the systems bleeding from the calipers. I bled from the ABS unit also and got out some really dark fluid (at 25,000 miles and almost 14 years old it had apparently never been done before). I had no trouble getting all of the air out and ending up with firm brakes. I used about 24 ounces of brake fluid total.

(3) Take care when torqueing the bleed nipples, especially the tiny one in the rear brake caliper. They don't take much torque at all.

Thanks for all the comments :thumby:. Job done on Saturday and double checked on Sunday.

In the end i did the master to the hard line first, then moved onto the lower sections. All very easy and have some solid brakes with feel now. To be honest the old items must have been bulging under pressure as the lever was able to pull back further before the switch (no it wasn't air in the system). I think if the weather got any warmer those old hoses may have given up.

Highly recommend renewing if you're thinking about it. Only takes a couple of hours. I got the brake lines from Motorworks (Goodridge braided stainless).

Only one tiny detail to note that might save others some trouble. My RH caliper had the BMW contraption on for bleeding. The big grub screw in the top was suitably corroded so it wouldn't budge, which means removing the whole contraption. You can't get this off (using a spanner) when the banjo is fitted... So check this detail BEFORE you connect everything and fill it up :thumb2. I had to get a pair of grips onto mine and that bleeding contraption made of alloy!

Back
Top Bottom