Recommend a small top case

Years ago, I used a lockable cash box as a sort of spacer, on top of which went my Givi rack and then the Givi top box.

i-Ztd8qP2.gif

i-GzkRg3W.jpg

It worked pretty well, but if I was doing it again now, I'd use a Peli case or otter box instead :thumb2

i-v24p8PR.jpg

i-Z5znvVX-S.jpg

Years ago, I used a lockable cash box as a sort of spacer, on top of which went my Givi rack and then the Givi top box.

It worked pretty well, but if I was doing it again now, I'd use a Peli case or otter box instead :thumb2

i-Z5znvVX-S.jpg

That's a neat idea, Bill - but, there is a possible risk.

Since the box connects together - two significant units (Bike and Topbox) - if you do crash............. there is every possibiity it is the lock/hinge of the cashbox which lets go - scattering all the stuff you thought important enough to stash there.......

(Credit cards, cash, passport, etc)

A box inside a panner would fare better, I would have thought?

Al

Right, I'll look at the Peli cases.:thumb

Let's see if they do it in pink.:D

Don't drill holes in a pelicase, that'll be the end of your warranty/gaurantee.

Consider buying a second hand top box (one is bound to appear) and having it chopped down. There is a thread where someone did just that. Very neat.

PS What do you intend to put in the box?

Yup.. just like mine. :D

Attachments

• gsa topbox02.jpg
    gsa topbox02.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 310
That's a neat idea, Bill - but, there is a possible risk.

Since the box connects together - two significant units (Bike and Topbox) - if you do crash............. there is every possibiity it is the lock/hinge of the cashbox which lets go - scattering all the stuff you thought important enough to stash there.......

(Credit cards, cash, passport, etc)

A box inside a panner would fare better, I would have thought?

Al

That's exactly why I'd do it with a Pelicase now........sod the warranty on it if you drill them....as long as you don't do something stupid, it will keep its structural integrity as it was when new, and a squirt of silicone sealant with some large penny washers will keep it totally waterproof :)

I used 3 or so cash boxes as replacements over the years, but ultimately they all turned out to be weak and tinny (exactly as you suspect, failing at the hinge area) but Peli cases are immensely strong- I'm over 20 stone and I can jump up and down on the foot cubed one I have now....In fact, I used it once as a black to lower the entire weight of my 1150 onto once on Morocco and it didn't complain at all :)

When I had the setup as pictured above BTW, I never used to carry any significant mass in the topbox- it was purely used for over-layers and rain gear, or stashing helmets when parked up and away from the bike :)

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/d-idxvKuBuY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(there's also a video of some muppet shooting a pelicase with increasingly large shotgun loads on YT :D)

Don't drill holes in a pelicase, that'll be the end of your warranty/gaurantee.

I, nor any of the pals that I ride with, that have fitted a Peli case, have never ever needed any warranty in hundreds of thousands of miles :nenau

Sorry ....

... any suggestions as to how to fit a Peli case without drilling holes in would be gratefully welcomed :D

:beerjug:

This is going so much better than in the 1200 WC Section. Where else would you get debate on the merits of an undrilled pelican and a pink box?

Fanum said:
, I used it once as a black to lower the entire weight of my 1150 onto once on Morocco and it didn't complain at all

Shouldn't that be he? :eek::eek:

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

In fact, I used it once as a black to lower the entire weight of my 1150 onto once on Morocco and it didn't complain at all :)

A wise move. A regular black would moan like buggery over doing any lowering or lifting. I find a good whipping soon sorts them out though.

You could go even smaller than that fitted to my 800GS ... this is the one I fitted to my X-Country :thumb

Still big enough for a puncture repair outfit, chain spray, first aid kit ... and fuses :D

DSCF0081-L.jpg

Which Peli is that Micky? I'm looking at the 1170, or the Storm iM2050. I can't see the difference, apart from the locking mechanism, but will probably go for the 1170.

Which Peli is that Micky? I'm looking at the 1170, or the Storm iM2050. I can't see the difference, apart from the locking mechanism, but will probably go for the 1170.

It's the 1200 ... it's about 26cm x 21cm by 12cm deep (outside measurements)
Not much more than a sandwich box, but hey, we're gonna fill all available space now ain't we :thumb

Not got round to fitting an ex BMW pannier lock yet, might not be enough space, but not really needed anyway.

I've ordered the 1170. I'll have to make thinner sandwiches, but more of them!:p

Whats with all the 'send me a quote' stuff on the Pelican site?

Nutty - did you have to order from the US? Are there UK dealers?

Coming back to this, as it's been bounced.....

I'm in the process of re-acquiring my pelicase (it was fitted to Gert's sidecar for the winter rallys) and I'll fit it to the GSA, but as an alternative which admittedly contradicts your stipulation of a 'hard case', have a look at Kriega kit.

A US20 is totally waterproof, has a capacity of.....er.....well, 20 litres :blast and although it's 'soft, it unclips and is removable from the bike in two pinch actions.

On top of that, you can also very easily attach US10 or US 5's )or even 10's) to it (one on each side and another potentially on top) so you have an extremely versatile storage system, yet even with three additional bags on the US20 base, you can still unclip and carry it away with two pinch actions.

If you want to leave your shit on the bike securely, this is useless, but if it's a matter of getting flexible and totally waterproof hard wearing storage on your arse end, Kriega is the mutt's nutts :)

Here's what I went with.

9a6dbc491f72039a0ec94fe94e5175a0_zps8c5d5937.jpg

9fffe293754ffb5784840ad84be57cdb_zpsa29e10f4.jpg

Now that I have the base plate (made for me by Mark Hooton), if I need a larger case, I can use the same mounting.:thumb

I ordered the case from http://www.waterproof-cases.co.uk and they offer free next day delivery.:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom