BMW Streetguard suit 2014

Had a look at the 2 styles last Saturday, very impressed, so I bought a set to replace my ageing Atlantis combo.:thumb2

I recently ordered a set to try on at my BMW dealer and went today to have a look. BMW's Streetguard sizing has changed for 2014 as apparently they have taken into account the larger sizes of folk nowadays. I found that where I needed a size 64 in the new Rallye trousers, I only needed a size 62 in Streetguard.

I've tried the full suit on although not actually ridden the bike in one. First impression is that it's like the full GSA version compared to the "GS" Streetguard 3! It's one serious fully-featured suit and that'll probably be a one suit fits all through all climates! For my variety of riding my Streetguard 3 is perfect and realistically the new version would probably be complete overkill, nice suit though :thumb2
Sizing does seem a little generous, I'm a 50 jacket and pants and the 50 felt more like a 52, particularly with the pants. Maybe just catering for more flexibility with under-clothing, the jacket has adjusting straps at the sides to draw it in if needed.

Sizing does seem a little generous, I'm a 50 jacket and pants and the 50 felt more like a 52, particularly with the pants. Maybe just catering for more flexibility with under-clothing, the jacket has adjusting straps at the sides to draw it in if needed.

As above, its to do with their new sizing policy. With the 2014 Streetguard you should be able to get away with one size smaller as BMW appreciate that the average person is bigger than we used to be.

Where did you get it.
Did they give you any discount
Bought it from Rainbow in Rotherham, they always look after me :thumb
Tried it on tonight and adjusted the armour position in the trousers, the storm collar in the jacket is clever, it hides a waterproof hood which stops rain running off the back of the helmet and down your neck. If it's warm the complete collar can be unzipped off.
I'll test it properly this weekend as the forecast isn't good.

Bought it from Rainbow in Rotherham, they always look after me :thumb
Tried it on tonight and adjusted the armour position in the trousers, the storm collar in the jacket is clever, it hides a waterproof hood which stops rain running off the back of the helmet and down your neck. If it's warm the complete collar can be unzipped off.
I'll test it properly this weekend as the forecast isn't good.
let me know what you think after the test run

Tried out the new Street Guard suit today, got caught in a large down pour coming back from Nottingham, arrived back home sat in a large puddle, suede seat seems to hold water, and I thought my ass felt damp, can't be right, so a quick trip upstairs and all was perfectly dry, so first impressions are good.
The knee protectors will take some bedding in and feel a bit uncomfortable at the moment but if they are the same as what's in the Atlantis suit they will be fine with a bit more use.
I like the fact it's waterproof liner is laminated into the garment and isn't something else you have to take out and the 3M Thinsulate thermal liner can be worn as jacket on its own.
I'm happy enough with it at the moment as I prefer suits that are not too gawdy or stand outish with lots of makers names on.

Tried out the new Street Guard suit today, got caught in a large down pour coming back from Nottingham, arrived back home sat in a large puddle, suede seat seems to hold water, and I thought my ass felt damp, can't be right, so a quick trip upstairs and all was perfectly dry, so first impressions are good.
The knee protectors will take some bedding in and feel a bit uncomfortable at the moment but if they are the same as what's in the Atlantis suit they will be fine with a bit more use.
I like the fact it's waterproof liner is laminated into the garment and isn't something else you have to take out and the 3M Thinsulate thermal liner can be worn as jacket on its own.
I'm happy enough with it at the moment as I prefer suits that are not too gawdy or stand outish with lots of makers names on.

Any more updates, is it bedding in now?

Any more updates, is it bedding in now?

Yes Johnny, the protectors have moulded nicely now. Rode to Brittany and back in it and had a good cross section of weather, it was 26 degrees riding down and with all the vents open was really comfortable. Riding back home it was pretty much torrential rain from Birmingham up to Chesterfield, the suit kept me perfectly dry with no water ingress. What I like about it is that it will protect you in a broad range of conditions, it's a bit pricy but you can buy the jacket and trousers for the same price of just a jacket by 2 other leading brands. BMW gear seems to fit me well also.

Yes Johnny, the protectors have moulded nicely now. Rode to Brittany and back in it and had a good cross section of weather, it was 26 degrees riding down and with all the vents open was really comfortable. Riding back home it was pretty much torrential rain from Birmingham up to Chesterfield, the suit kept me perfectly dry with no water ingress. What I like about it is that it will protect you in a broad range of conditions, it's a bit pricy but you can buy the jacket and trousers for the same price of just a jacket by 2 other leading brands. BMW gear seems to fit me well also.

Thanks for that

I bought a Streetguard 4 a couple of months ago. Only used it twice but here's my opinion so far:

Pros:

1. Fit - never had BMW clothing before but it fits very nicely indeed. The dealer (Cotswold) said BMW had adjusted their sizing.
2. Comfort - in short, very comfortable.
3. Function - rode home from Cotswold in it - about 50 minutes of torrential rain. I was bone dry on my return.
4. Features - it is adorned with all sorts of nice features - laminated waterproof layer, detachable bib and braces, rain hood, storm collar, nice warm detachable linings (wearing the liner jacket on its own may or may not attract the fashion police :eek:), decent armour. The list goes on.
5. Flexibility - I can't imagine a suit more usable for variety of climates and weather conditions. I'm planning to use it on a trip to Morocco later in the year and in MCC overnight trials (heated vest will still be used for the latter, especially the Exeter in January brrrr).
6. Cost - not the cheapest of suits but for what you get, not the most expensive either. We'll see how durable it is over time.

Cons:

1. Features. More features = more to go wrong, but we'll see.
2. Cost - there seems to quite a few decent suits on the market nowadays for not much money (relatively speaking). But then there are one or two that are considerably more expensive than the Streetguard.
3. It is a bit of a palaver re-fitting the thermal linings, but then I can't see how it would be designed any differently.

Whilst in the shop I also treated myself to a pair of Gravel boots. Brilliant comfort and no leaks so far.

Suit and boots were bought from Cotswold BMW in Gloucester - excellent service.

To complete the ensemble a nice Ruby helmet will be added in a few weeks. Excellent service from Ruby.

Needless to say all the above has put quite a dent in the finances.

I'll post a more comprehensive review when the above events and a few more have been completed.

Cheers,

Ian.

I initially decided to save some money and get a Halvarssons suit instead (Prime jacket & Prince trousers), but having tried them on in a shop the other day I'm not sure they fit me as perfectly as I would like. I've also just had a call from my BNW dealer to tell me the Streetguard suit has arrived for me to try on. So if it's a better fit than the Halvarssons then I may well be buying it.

I recently ordered a set to try on at my BMW dealer and went today to have a look. BMW's Streetguard sizing has changed for 2014 as apparently they have taken into account the larger sizes of folk nowadays. I found that where I needed a size 64 in the new Rallye trousers, I only needed a size 62 in Streetguard.

I think the Streetguard I bought, that fits very well, is a smaller size than usual. Might be stating the obvious, but I would recommend getting someone else to get measurements properly, making sure the dealer has the corresponding sizes in stock and preferably a size either side in stock as well.

Cheers,

Ian.

After much deliberation I ended up purchasing the 2014 Streetguard outfit today. What swayed me was how comfortable the fit was, most brands usually have some area of the clothing that doesn't fit very well but the new SG outfit was perfect and should come in really handy over the winter. It's expensive, but appears to suit me more than alternative brands is tried.

It seems that supply from BMW Motorrad to the dealers is a little slow, with my local dealer having minimal stock. I grabbed the outfit whilst it was there, in time for winter.

arrived back home sat in a large puddle, suede seat seems to hold water, and I thought my ass felt damp, can't be right, so a quick trip upstairs and all was perfectly dry,

Any further thoughts on this? The suit I'm looking to replace has a leather eat and that gets sodden and gives me the same damp ass feeling and I get cold. It could be deal breaker for me.

Back
Top Bottom