BMW Streetguard suit 2014

You did the right thing, went into Rainbow this morning to have a look, as my Rukka Gore-Tex trousers gave up the ghost in Scotland this weekend, looks like good kit, asked them to get me a set in to try, Extra manly Tosser size, Jacket in about two weeks, trousers not available until January next year!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Are they worth the wait?

Went to try in the jacket today, they had the trousers in as well!

Tried liked purchased!

Best not leak for 2 years then!

Sent using Tapatalk

2000 mile report

I have now done about 2000 miles in my SG4 jacket (have SG1 trews), including 1800 miles in Germany last week over 8 days

Overall the jacket is excellent, fits well and very adaptable & adjustable

Some days last week were high 20's C and with the liner out and all 4 vents open it was very cool and comfortable

Fit is good and you have plenty of pockets

Yesterday I did 90 mins of extreme rain, about 80 miles on a stretch of motorway south of Bruxelles, near Namur

The rain was bouncing and the road was completely flooded in parts, with speeds reduced to 50-60 mph, so much so the bike was still aquaplaning

This was a real test of the SG4 jacket

I could see the rain ahead, so pulled into an aire to put my waterproof gloves on etc and make sure the jacket was all done up - I had attached the storm collar, earlier in the day - but wasn't wearing the inner soft shell jacket, just a normal fleece

The SG4 jacket coped very well, I was totally dry - save for a moist buff, due to a bit rain leakage (however I didn't wear the rain hood which would have completely eliminated that)

Arms,chest,back and all pockets were 100% dry and fully protected

Initially I was sceptical about the sleeves as they are longer,a lot looser than a normal jacket and have no velcro closure - I was sure that they would leak in this monsoon, especially without the 'labyrinth seal' of the inner jacket, not being used

However my concerns were unfounded

Gloves inside sleeve and jacket over top of the gloves

The top of the sleeve cuff is longer than normal and when riding sits just behind my knuckles and the underside is loose and 'hangs' in the breeze, so to speak.

However the rain just runs off the top and never gets up the underside - I was amazed, but it works

Another feature of the loose cuff is that in warm weather, air goes up the lower sleeve to cool your arms - brilliant

Extremely pleased with the SG4 jacket, in all conditions so far

Looking to buy the SG 4 jacket, thanks for the reviews and comments. I'm tall, so trying the 114 sizing. Ordinary 56 jacket sizes aren't long enough so hoping with the new bmw sizing I'll find a great fit!

nice review Johnny :thumb

I haven't had the chance to try mine in proper rain so I'm pleased your review is positive. The new large BMW sizes are a refreshing change and probably make them the only clothing available for true tossers. And I should know!

I think dealers stock levels are still low with it being a brand new suit, so not every dealer will have the sizes available to try on.

nice review Johnny :thumb

I haven't had the chance to try mine in proper rain so I'm pleased your review is positive. The new large BMW sizes are a refreshing change and probably make them the only clothing available for true tossers. And I should know!

I think dealers stock levels are still low with it being a brand new suit, so not every dealer will have the sizes available to try on.

Cheers

I wear SG1 trews with it as they match, fully zip to the SG4 jacket & look fine with it - when I stopped 'after the rain' to check everything so to speak - everything was fine except for the top 2-3cms of my buff

My trews felt clammy but in fact were fine & I was 100% dry

All good

Streetguard suit going back already, worn the trousers 3 days 600 miles coming unstitched on the waist adjusters, not a good start for a £500 pair of strides?

Sent using Tapatalk

That's not good, I'll have to check mine. My trousers are on the loose side so hopefully they will be ok.

How vary dare you :eek:

Mine aren’t exactly under gargantuan expanding pressure lol

It’s the black plastic loop that the side adjusters loop through

I didn't mean it like that :D

I was between trouser sizes, so I ended up going for the larger size which means that they are a bit too big for me. My Lindstrand trousers however are a better fit but have also torn in the same place as yours. I would expect motorbike clothing to be tougher than it actually is.

I didn't mean it like that :D

I was between trouser sizes, so I ended up going for the larger size which means that they are a bit too big for me. My Lindstrand trousers however are a better fit but have also torn in the same place as yours. I would expect motorbike clothing to be tougher than it actually is.

Its sod all really but it raises to points for me one I'm a tight fisted Yorkshire man and if you spend £1100 on something it better fooking be a Rolls Royse, and second if the stitching fails what's it going to be like in an off :soapbox:

I gave my Streetguard something of a test yesterday by using it in the MCC Edinburgh trial - about a 12 hour ride in total.

I set off late on Friday eve with the thermal linings in both halves, the bib and braces fitted and me wearing a Merino base layer. No rain until about 0600 Saturday, and if anything I was too hot - not surprising given the ambient temperature. Apparently it was about 15 degrees C.

About 0600 Saturday it all changed - in the Peaks it changes fast - it got a bit colder - I'm told down to about 8 degrees C - and the heavens opened and did their worst until the end of the trial around lunchtime. There was some water ingress but only where the cuffs met my well worn gloves (and through my well worn trials boots) but apart from that I was absolutely dry. I didn't use the storm collar or rain hood.

The suit remained absolutely comfortable.

So it's passed the 'wet' and comfort tests, given it's nearly new. Next is the 'heat' test with a trip to Maroc and then the 'cold' test with the MCC Exeter trial in January.

Only complaint is I found it easy to fasten the wrong zips together e.g. one half of the outer jacket to the thermal lining :blast

(By the way entries are open for the Exeter - info here, and PM me if you need further details. GSer report/how-to on a previous MCC trial here).

Cheers,

Ian.

Thanks Ian

Hope you had a good result

Just a question - on the jacket, were the cuffs over the glove ends during the rain ?

Mine were in 80 mins of torrential rain & were fine - no ingress

I appreciate that during a trial this is somewhat not easy to achieve

Thanks Ian

Hope you had a good result

Just a question - on the jacket, were the cuffs over the glove ends during the rain ?

Mine were in 80 mins of torrential rain & were fine - no ingress

I appreciate that during a trial this is somewhat not easy to achieve

Sorry I should have been a bit more specific - yes the cuffs were over my gloves. The ingress was through the gloves leaving the ends of the soft inner cuffs of the jacket wet. The gloves are well worn and have next to no water resistance - no ingress through the jacket.

The suit also coped well off tarmac as you might expect, but (fortunately) there was no crash testing.

The suit put a big dent in the savings account but overall I'm really glad I bought it. Hopefully I'll still be saying the same thing come January :thumb

theres one for sale on ebay ,,brand new

331349252343 item number

Thinking of buying a Streetguard suit, but I don't love the side adjustment straps. Thinking of getting the short one, which can apparently be ordered in a long version as well. Any good reasons not to buy the short one?

Bloody good suit as had mine 6 months now and would go for long jacket as tried short one it rides up at the back

Sent from my
iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had mine since April - latest ride was a trip to Morocco and back (about 3800 miles) in October. I would definitely use it again for a similar trip. It was easily snug enough for the ride in the UK and Spain and good - with the lining, bib and storm collar removed - in Morocco. I did get a bit warm riding quite technical pistes with soft sand in high 30s/low 40s but with all the vents open and the jacket mostly unzipped it was fine :thumby:

My only moan is that the fabric part of one of the cuffs has started to pill. Debating whether to take it back because of this :nenau

Next test will be the overnight Exeter trial in January :eek:

Having said all that I may well go back to an Aerostich Darien for my next suit - you can't beat the simplicity, but I expect the Streetguard to last several years before that.

Cheers,

Ian.

4 Year Update

I've now owned the Streetguard for 4 years and used it for who knows how many miles (not that many as I don't commute on a bike, but the suit does get lots of use).

I wore it the other night for the Land's End trial in which we suffered a deluge lasting for at least 12 hours.

The suit started to leak, mostly in the arms but some of the torso and legs areas remained dry. My partner also has a Streetguard and she had a similar experience.

Apart from once washing it using some kind of proofing agent it hasn't been re-proofed, so we've taken the unprecedented step of reading the manual and will be re-activating the proofing in accordance with the instructions. We'll see how the suits fair in the next downpour.

Cheers,

Ian.

Back
Top Bottom