samz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So after abit of lurking and listening to "some" of the advice on here I've taken the plunge.
Sold my VFR went for a 2001 1150. (ticked more of the boxes than the 1100).

First impressions, it's BIG! and WEIRD! :eek:

Slowly getting the hang of it and it has that grin factor every ride :D

Hopefully I'll be up to speed ;) on it by the time we head of the Pyrenees and back up through the Alps this summer :bounce1

Attachments

• image (5).jpg
    image (5).jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 718
  • image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 695
  • image (3).jpg
    image (3).jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 706
Well done Samz!!! The big n weird feeling soon disappears, so just ride & enjoy it, particularly on your forthcoming Euro Trip.....:cool:

That's a pretty clean bike for thirteen years old. Best of luck with her. :thumb2

it's BIG! and WEIRD! :eek:

Yes it is, but that's no bad thing and as Keith says that feeling soon goes away. You're really going to enjoy the Alps this summer. :)

2 months on

Its still big! a bugger to move around in/out the garage etc.
Indicators still weird, I've pressed the horn many a time by mistake :blast

3000 mile trip around France it performed very well apart from:

The seat is uncomfortable on long runs! :mad: Airhawk sorted it though :D

Used 1/2 L of oil ( they all do that sir) :confused:

The gearbox is not the best by a long way. I was expecting the clunkyness, being shaft drive but it's the ratios that are badly spaced! :nenau
6th (E) is an overdrive, all the rest seem to low. Hard to be in just the right gear for all the mountain passes we did.

Over all though a really enjoyable bike that I wanna ride more and more. Surely the mark of a good bike? :thumb2

Pretty much standard comments there Samz having changed the end can and fitted decat the bike is a fair bit lighter now which help garage manoeuvres. I would recommend bar risers and then adjusting the bar tilt. A 2piece mra screen makes motorway rising more comfortable. The 1150gs is definitely a grower.

A belated welcome - an old GS is certainly going to feel a little strange after coming from one of the most refined motorcycles available - i.e VFR. Well worth sticking with it though - they really do grow on you. When I first switched to a telelever BMW it took me a good 10,000 miles to really get used to that strange front end. As for the gearbox - only the early(ish) 1150's came with the overdrive 'E' 6th gear, later bikes have a standard and shorter 6th gear. I've ridden both and prefer the overdrive - really handy for motorway trips. Enjoy:thumby:

Congratulations ,good choice of bike. My first 1150 was that colour(fond memories:cool:)When moving the bike, take a lot of its weight on your hip,if there is any camber ,two fingers covering front brake. Another tip if trying to move uphill, best sat on bike ,is to hold front brake on push down firm,then release brake as you pull back. Works a treat.

As for the gearbox - only the early(ish) 1150's came with the overdrive 'E' 6th gear, later bikes have a standard and shorter 6th gear. I've ridden both and prefer the overdrive - really handy for motorway trips. Enjoy:thumby:

Really?

None of mine did?

My 2000 bike came up with E for 6th overdrive top gear
My 2002 bike came up with 6 for overdrive top gear
My 2004 bike came up with 6 for overdrive top gear

All bought brand new

All 1150's came with overdrive top gear across all model years, irrespective of whether it said E or 6 - the gear ratios were all the same with overdrive

However you could order a 1150 GS Sport which had the 1150 GSA gearbox in it with the lower ratio 6th gear - it was a special order at no cost but they are pretty rare in uk & 99% of 1150's were sold with overdrive 6th as dealers failed to explain it was available :blast

The 1150 GS Sport was popular in the USA not Britain

Really?

None of mine did?

My 2000 bike came up with E for 6th overdrive top gear
My 2002 bike came up with 6 for overdrive top gear
My 2004 bike came up with 6 for overdrive top gear

All bought brand new

All 1150's came with overdrive top gear across all model years, irrespective of whether it said E or 6 - the gear ratios were all the same with overdrive

However you could order a 1150 GS Sport which had the 1150 GSA gearbox in it with the lower ratio 6th gear - it was a special order at no cost but they are pretty rare in uk & 99% of 1150's were sold with overdrive 6th as dealers failed to explain it was available :blast

The 1150 GS Sport was popular in the USA not Britain

Well I think you're wrong :blagblah I always thought if E was displayed the bike was equipped with the longer legged overdrive top gear, if 6 was displayed the bike had the lower ratio 6th gear, I know of and have ridden with-several owners who have had both, I believe it was a no cost option on 1150 GS whilst the 1150 Adv came with the lower 6th only, I've ridden both versions and preferred the lower gear mainly due to the superior top gear acceleration.

Back
Top Bottom