Ground anchor installation - photos

Deleted account 200502001

Reaction score
Not sure which section to post his, but its living here for now...

Installed my ground anchor today in the floor of my carport.

HaIBlToK.jpg

First I marked out with chalk where it need to go

AUzSRPVj.jpg

Marked out the area to cut

A3KslHuW.jpg

Cut the concrete with angle grinder & diamond blade and dug out to required depth

gRJYwWeg.jpg

Positioned anchor to required position/level, and inserted rebar through the holes in the upright

htRQ1guq.jpg

Mixed concrete by hand, and filled the hole.

j7mWm0XM.jpg

Tampered and smoothed out, now for it to dry

T1VIUstm.jpg

Took about 3hrs in total. Ill be using this with a Pragamsis 19mm Protector chain, Pragmasis Anti-pinch pin through rear hub, & Squires SC665 padlock.

IMG_4636_zps0253a744.jpg

Did you undercut the edge of the existing concrete?

Tried a pull-test on it at all?

Al

Yes, I dug outwards a little underneath the existing concrete. Its still drying so won't be touching it for a day or two.

Looks neat, i personally would have welded some longer lengths re-bar to make it even harder to pull up. I think I might do it myself.

Thanks for posting.

Forgive me if I'm thick - but might they not just leave you with your rear wheel?
Very nearly happened to me in Bristol - had an RT chained by back wheel and disturbed east european scrotes. Rode off and thought I had flat tyre until I discovered all 4 bolts on rear wheel were half a turn off coming off - bit alarming as I was on the M32 by then:eek:releasing

If you happen to have the BMW rear paddock stand, the nylon sleeve that goes through the back wheel just happens to have a central diameter the same as the pinch pin which means it fits tight and there is no risk of damaging the inside of the hub.;)

yes indeed - just realised that!

Sorry

I'll get my coat..........

But the Bristol anecdote is true and worried me at the time:
cute east european sits by bike and secretly loosens bolts. On phone. Big van comes round corner and bolts quickly undone and up into truck.
M.O. only dawned on me later.

Looks neat, i personally would have welded some longer lengths re-bar to make it even harder to pull up. I think I might do it myself.

Thanks for posting.

I didn't take a photo of the re-bar inserted, the prongs you see are all part of the original anchor.

Surely the chains thru the final drive too?

The 19mm chain is too large to pass through the rear hub, hence the anti-pinch pin.

The chain is supposed to be too thick for croppers to cut through, and the pin is 17mm thick. So the weakest area is perhaps the padlock shackle. But the Squires SC665 is one if the best out there. Shirt of being attacked by a grinder, I'm reasonably happy. I've got a spare anti-pinch pin that I may put up for sale on here soon.

I now need to shorten the chain as I don't like the way it trails on the floor. Someone could try using croppers by resting one arm on the ground and putting their weight on the other. My LR Defender is parked up against the carport doors, with a security post blocking it in. Short of having a well equipped thief, or worse still a Hanoi burglary, then I've done all I can. In which case, I'll rely on the insurance policy to cover me.

89229512-3e5f-4d4d-bfa1-12cb04e58f84_zps6a02fb60.jpg

Forgive me if I'm thick - but might they not just leave you with your rear wheel?
Very nearly happened to me in Bristol - had an RT chained by back wheel and disturbed east european scrotes. Rode off and thought I had flat tyre until I discovered all 4 bolts on rear wheel were half a turn off coming off - bit alarming as I was on the M32 by then:eek:releasing

That made me chuckle, I had the same thoughts :)

Dave

I now need to shorten the chain as I don't like the way it trails on the floor. Someone could try using croppers by resting one arm on the ground and putting their weight on the other. My LR Defender is parked up against the carport doors, with a security post blocking it in. Short of having a well equipped thief, or worse still a Hanoi burglary, then I've done all I can. In which case, I'll rely on the insurance policy to cover me.

89229512-3e5f-4d4d-bfa1-12cb04e58f84_zps6a02fb60.jpg

Then I read this and though "fair enough" :)

Then I thought what happens when you're out in the Landy....

Joking apart it looks a really decent job with the added bonus that you'll never trip on it and go careering arse over elbow across the garage floor :thumb

Dave

Back
Top Bottom