Pulpit Rock Norway !!!

Dr John

Reaction score
Thinking of taking off to Pulpit Rock (Preikestolen ) ....looked awesome on the recent cycle tour of the Fjords....Was gonna travel via Newcastle--Gothenburg and go around the Kristiansand coast........any tips or suggestions for overnight stops etc or any useful information would be so appreciated !!!

I am off tomorrow on a wee trip over there , been looking at various unavoidable expenses

TIP take PLENTY money :eek:

I think the only direct ferry is the freight ferry from Immingham, but you're not guaranteed place.

The Harwich - Esberg (Denmark) ferry is stopping at the end of September, so next year it'll be a 650 miles ride from Rotterdam or Ijmuiden to Hirtshals in Northern Denmark to get a ferry to Norway, or a very expensive one from Kiel to Oslo.

As above. Harwich Esbjerg is closest to Kristiansand until it stops.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Thinking of taking off to Pulpit Rock (Preikestolen ) ....looked awesome on the recent cycle tour of the Fjords....Was gonna travel via Newcastle--Gothenburg and go around the Kristiansand coast........any tips or suggestions for overnight stops etc or any useful information would be so appreciated !!!

If youre camping Preikestolen Camping is 5 minutes ride or 1 hours walking to the start of the path, good site. Pathway is fairly steep but as your a cyclist a breeze.
You can pre-book a space on the ferry boarding at Forsand, bikes will squeeze in, the journey along the Fjord is interesting, trap an english version leaflet to explain the various points on route, the commentary is english anyway.
The climb up via the tunnel and many hairpins is fantastic, the eagles nest at the peak has paid parking but I just squeezed in and enjoyed the view, the road from here is great too.

Hope you enjoy it.

I did laugh when I climbed it and saw the women in front stumbling around in her high heels and mini skirt. Later on I saw her beating her partner over the head with said heels.

I seemed to recall it took us 1 1/2 hours to the top of pulpits. That was back in the day when the Newcastle ferry was running, I have travelled a number of times since on the Immingham to Gothenburg ferry and its the best sailing across without doubt, completely laid back attitude and leaves about 2 or 3 in the morning which is an odd time to be riding !!

Preikestolen is a grand wee jaunt.

Did it last uear after a ferry trip down from Lysebotn to Forsand. It left at 12 noon and took ages to get to the mouth of the fjord!

Off boat, booked into campsite, as mentioned above, tent up and a bite to eat then off up the road to the parking. Pay and display. Packed motorbike gear into panniers, trainers on and two hrs to the top.

Did this in the EVENING to avoid the crowds.

Well marked track but very worn and full of big boulders. Must be treacherous in the wet! Careful folks.

View outstanding. Go and dangle your legs over a HUGE drop. Base jumpers paradise.

Recommended.

And no you can't take your GS or the likes to the top. Even a trials bike.

Lovely place, from memory you won't get near it except on foot though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers for all the information !!......with the problems finding ferries to Norway etc..I'm seriously thinking of taking bike up to Aberdeen ...flying over to Stavanger..hiking up to Pulpit and flying back and finishing tour in the Highlands with the time I've got !!!

Cheers for all the information !!......with the problems finding ferries to Norway etc..I'm seriously thinking of taking bike up to Aberdeen ...flying over to Stavanger..hiking up to Pulpit and flying back and finishing tour in the Highlands with the time I've got !!!

Not a bad idea, you can get from the airport to the car park at the start of the hike on public transport, you could do it all in a day, inc flying back, if you wanted to? there's usually about a dozen flights a day across here from Aberdeen except on a sat.

Col

Bear in mind sunrise/sunset times for June are 04:25/22:53, still plenty of light for walking after this time.

Back
Top Bottom