Nav V, Autocom Super Pro Avi with BTM-02A Bluetooth, iPhone5S - PHONE VOLUME too Low

Flipper_Man

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've got the following setup:
Nav V, Autocom Super Pro Avi with BTM-02A Bluetooth, iPhone5S

Music from the Nav V volume is fine (comes through the BTM-02a bluetooth dongle into the Autocom) but I'm struggling with the volume on phone calls. I've got the Autocom turned up to Max, you can't adjust phone call volume on the Nav V (tells you to adjust phone device) and the volume is right up on the iPhone.

Any ideas how to make audio from phone louder ? Anyone experiencing the same ?

I've followed the instructions on the Autocom website about removing the power from Aux1. When you install a BTM02A module to an Autocom Super Pro AVI unit, you have to use the three-way lead supplied with the BTM02A and plug into Aux 1 & 2 (as well as the BT module). However, before you do this - you need to open the Autocom and cut a link to prevent 9v going to Aux 1 (this Bluetooth module is powered separately by a 12v feed rather than being powered from the Autocom unit itself).

Am I missing something obvious ?

Attachments

• BTM-02a fitting.png
    BTM-02a fitting.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 2,413
  • Correct BTM-02a fitting.jpg
    Correct BTM-02a fitting.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 2,644
Have you tried this.

Home page with the phone, volume,apps,settings icons.
Tap volume
Tap the spanner symbol upper left hand corner
Tap Audio Mixer
Then you are presented with 3 volume sliders
Navigation
Phone
Media

Adjust the various volumes there.

Everyone else must be ok with volume then ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a similar set-up but use an old Sony Ericson phone. On my last bike, when I used a Zumo 550 with the audio for music/SatNav instructions hard wired and the phone bluetoothed, all was fine.
Since switching to a Nav V and using the BTM-02A for all audio I do notice that the Audio is a bit quieter, it is useable but I would like it to be a bit louder. I see on the Super Pro AVI that there are manual volume adjusters (potentiometers) on the circuit board for both Aux 1 & 2, but I'm not sure if these have any effect when the noise sensor in the helmet is in use. I was goin to check with Chainspeed this week to see if the volume can be increased with these potentiometers. If not then I may have to consider using in-ear monitors, with these I'm sure the volume will be more than sufficient, so much so I'll need to adjust the master volume to the headset at either the AVI or the Nav V.

Bob

Call Sam at Chainspeed, he is the guru of this. I was emailing him yesterday about phone volume on a zumo. Phone bluetoothed to zumo, zumo hardwired to SPA. Was recommended to change input from aux 2 (gps) to Rider 1 phone.

Typically my satnav has just died so I can't test it.

Alternatively, hardwire the satnav for audio and bluetooth for the phone. Phone still bluetooth's to the zumo but the zumo bluetooths to the bt dongle as a headset. This works well apparently, though I've not tried them yet and can't till the new zumo arrives.

Well I've been intouch with Chainspeed, apparently the adjusters are for the mic volume so won't make any difference. Sam did suggest relocating the BGNS to a noisy place in the helmet but it is already pretty noisy where it is. He did suggest changing to an SPA unit would help, so it's either that or the ear monitors. Having said that, I've just been for a ride on the bike and I think I can live with the volume as it is, so I'll try it for a while. Also I wear made to measure earplugs, but these don't have filters fitted, I suppose filters may help.

Bob

The noise sensor is a good idea. I've noticed if I cough etc that the volume will increase. Didn't have an issue with my old TomTom :( What are ear monitors ?

Have googled and now understand in ear monitors !

Everyone else must be ok with volume then ?

Hi there, did you get sorted? I have the same issue with my Nav 4 but with navigation prompts! Trying to get bmw to upgrade me to a Nav 5 as my Nav 4 is only 9 months old, no luck so far though!

Nope. Still too quiet. I'm going to speak with Chainspeed tomorrow and see what they say. It's almost quieting the sound when I speak....and then not raising the volume quick enough when the noise (my voice) has quietened.

Sam advised me too plug the yellow lead into aux 3 and that would automatically raise the volume via the bgns. Pro AVI nav 4 and S3 phone. Havent tried phone on the move but nav works ok volume wise.

Sam advised me too plug the yellow lead into aux 3 and that would automatically raise the volume via the bgns. Pro AVI nav 4 and S3 phone. Havent tried phone on the move but nav works ok volume wise.

That's interesting, on their website they say: "Connect using BT-203 black into Auz1 with the link disabled. Yellow into Aux2. It will be stereo"

Working from home today, so will set-up for commute tomorrow.

Had a chat with the fella at Chainspeed. He repeated the advice given to Delboy777 but also explained that newer Garmin's and satnavs in general had reduced their output power over the last couple of years, partly to comply with noise/hearing regulations etc. He suggests that (in the good old days) these devices had a strong output and the Autocom coped happily with them but was of the thinking that, with the reduced output these days, wasn't powerful enough to pick up the slack. He has a similar setup to myself, having swapped out the Super AVI pro for one of the newer Autocom units and has had to turn the volume down to below 50% - that's how much power they have.
Bit frustrating as my TomTom Rider, the last in a long list of TomTom GPS devices had - worked perfectly with the Super Pro. The £8million Nav5 sounds like a particularly quiet mouse..

I'll swap them over and and use Aux3 - see if that makes a difference.

Dont really want to spend £200 for the occasional phone-call.

....and...the music output on the NAV5 is absolutely fine.....so I'm thinking its the noise cancelling aspect ?

He has a similar setup to myself, having swapped out the Super AVI pro for one of the newer Autocom units and has had to turn the volume down to below 50% - that's how much power they have.

What Autocom is Sam using to have to turn the volume down, is it the SPA?

Bob

Aux 3 will not give you faded sound when a passenger is speaking or if a navigation prompt is active. Not so much of a problem with a phone call but if you are listening to music from phone or from sat nav and a nav command occurs or a passenger wants to speak to you the music will not reduce down automatically.

Its a known problem that Autocom are aware of - it is the same on the SPA unit.

Not sure on which system he was using, just that it was a 'newer one'.

I'm using BMW Nav V - so, music, Nav commands and phone all come from that unit - so I'm assuming that nothing will interrupt or reduce in volume because autocom won't know the difference between the 3 source coming from the same location ? I don't have pillions.....in fact I don't have the pillion headset anymore as I swapped lead over when drivers failed.

Not sure on which system he was using, just that it was a 'newer one'.

I suspect it will be the SPA.

.....in fact I don't have the pillion headset anymore as I swapped lead over when drivers failed.
That may be where your problem lies, if you are using the AVI, or an Autocom that uses the noise sensor, the riders headset lead is different from the passengers. It has extra an extra connection for the sensor whereas the passengers doesn't, this might be why your volume is low.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom