Disappointed So Far

Had my x plate single spark since 2004 and been thru 3 hall sensors. Took abs off 2 ys ago. Ironically, its been more reliable in its latter yrs and runs better now at 130+ k than its ever done. Stick with it. :aidan

Ive had my 40,0000 mile 1100gs for nearly 12 months now and i have spent £1000.00 on it of which £250 was my choice (crash bars & other small items), I have just recently had my hall sensor replaced as a precaution.I have figured if everything that can go wrong is replaced im on to a winner :). I also use a local guy who is a bit of a BMW guru.

Keep going and you will end up with a great bike.

Ok I will be carrying on but I also need to be realistic. Mike is going to have a look at it for me and hopefully he can guide me.
I have always liked the GS and it's size/abilities suit me fine. Also with the R1150GS the cost is in the maintenance. With a Multistrada it's depreciation plus maintenance ( at Ducati prices ).
So my mind is fairly fixed. I will carry on with this one and get it properly looked at. If it turns out that it's a 'lemon' then I will trade it and look for another 1150.

This is my second 1100gs , my first was 75th anniversary model and it didn't work for me but this one is great, you just need to find the right one for you

Hi Mark. I sympathise.

I bought a bike about 8 yearsago. It was like yours . Unreliable. An r series. Anyway, Ireland went mad and we all had loads of money (lol) so I bought a gsa. Loved it but it broke my heart like the r did. Long story short, the gsa got hit by a car and I never trusted it again. Sold it. Glad to be rid of it. Servo motor issues too...

Anyway, long and the short of it, I'm riding the r which I had in the garage. Spent a few quid sorting the niggles out and it really is a remarkably reliable ride. I trust it now.

Point I'm trying to make is that it can be hard to feel confident about a bike when it does you no favours but try see this out, it'll be worth it. Might take some time but don't buy a multistrada.

Thanks for that and I will carry on.

Having just got back from Italy (via the Fern Pass and B500-but in my car) I have seen a huge number of GS's doing exactly what they are supposed to do-and apparently reliably. I would estimate that about 60% were the newer 1200's but a significant number were the 1150's and in the real world they didn't seem to be left behind at all.

I will update this post in due course once Mike has had a look.

My other half for the first time has decided that perhaps a Multistrada may be the bike for her! ( not me! ).

Mikeyboy ( Mike Overy ) fixed it!!!
Lambda/O2 sensor,new fuel pump and strip down of the tank has now got rid of the stalling and lumpy ride.
The fault was very difficult to locate and it took several trips/tests to eliminate but now it revs properly and rides brilliantly. It seems to have gained a couple of HP as well as it now feels quicker and stronger.
So it's a big thanks to Mike for his efforts( and coffee!!! ).

hi mark,thanks for the kind words ,
tricky diagnosis on this one,always more so on a bike i have not seen before as all of the basics have to be checked.
the fault seemed to vanish once the fuel filter had been changed(plugs/valves checked etc)
on the second visit changing coils made no difference and the bike didnt fault during road testing at all.
on the third visit we were into proper diagnostics, the bike showed its true colours and needed an occilliscope to show the oxygen sensor faulting on a hot start.
fuel pump was noisy and needed changing anyway.
glad its sorted.
mike

A multistrada is going to cost you more in the long run :D

And there may be a fair difference it what GS riders and Multistrada riders class as "high mileage"...:)

We are comparing a new bike with one ten years old and best part if 50K miles. Accepted the faults have been an issue but TBH are to be expected on an older bike.
If you can't DIY the fault finding talk to Mike Overy. He's doing my 1200 final drive and really does know his onions. Steptoe also gets rave reviews but London is even less handy from the West Mids.

IMO The only really reliable older bikes are Yamaha Diversion. 900s. Under stressed carb fed 8V engine with solid swing arm shaft drive. Very little to go wrong but not exactly exciting.

The 1150 rough running when hot could be the crank position sensor (Hall effect). They are used on on cars and bikes. Old ones go unreliable when hot.

It could also be damaged O2 sensors caused by the misfiring coils. But don't go rushing out to change them - maybe the coils were never at fault.

Back
Top Bottom