Klim or Rukka

ymfb

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Yesterday I tried on a Klim Badlands Pro jacket and was very impressed with the comfort. They are getting in some tosser sized pants for me to try next weekend.

I have a Rukka suit, which is about 9/10 years old, trousers leak, main jacket zip broke some years ago and has a bit of nylon wire and the LH cuff velcro is next to useless.

I don't know its going to fix the Rukka and if I do, its only a matter of time before something else needs fixing.

A new Rukka will cost circa £1,800 and the Klim £500 less

Is there any point in spending £500 more and getting the Rukka ?

You don't need to spend £1800 to get a better suit from rukka. Have a look at the rukka armaxion suit. Better value IMHO.

I've never owned a Rukka suit so I can't comment on them. I bought a Klim Badlands suit after reading the numerous favourable comments on this site.My previous suits were Dianese D RY and Hein gericke Master V, the Dianese was fair to crap and the Master V okish but neither compare to the Badlands fit,comfort and ability to shug off even the foulest of weather,a brilliant suit.
I got mine from Adventurebike warehouse,great people to deal with
Craig

As a Armax owner of some 6? years and now a Badlands Pro owner of 1 week I'd say if you want a jacket with good vents get a Klim. Rode today in clammy conditions and the Badlands pro vents worked great where I would have been a bit sweaty had I worn my old Armax which has some pathetic under arm zipped vents. I see the new Armaxis? has slightly larger vent just behind the shoulders but don't appear to have the coverage that the Badlands Pro vents have.

I've never owned a Rukka suit so I can't comment on them. I bought a Klim Badlands suit after reading the numerous favourable comments on this site.My previous suits were Dianese D RY and Hein gericke Master V, the Dianese was fair to crap and the Master V okish but neither compare to the Badlands fit,comfort and ability to shug off even the foulest of weather,a brilliant suit.
I got mine from Adventurebike warehouse,great people to deal with
Craig
Completely agree. Klim Badlands is a genuine 4 season suit. No way a Rukka would be comfortable in warm weather. Not enough vents. Badlands has about 8 vents I think and very comfortable to wear. Can't go wrong with Klim

Completely agree. Klim Badlands is a genuine 4 season suit. No way a Rukka would be comfortable in warm weather. Not enough vents. Badlands has about 8 vents I think and very comfortable to wear. Can't go wrong with Klim

(Off on a tangent...) What do you wear underneath it when the weather is really cold? I tend to use my Badlands Pro for three seasons but switch to a warmer suit in the Winter because I can't find anything to wear underneath the Klim that would keep me warm enough.

Yes, I have electric gear but that's only any good when it's working. An electric jacket packed up on me in -5 and snow on the way back from Millau. I was just a bit chilly in my Winter suit, I'd have frozen in my Klim so what's the secret?

You'll probably say 'layers' but which layers?

Kevin

(Off on a tangent...) What do you wear underneath it when the weather is really cold? I tend to use my Badlands Pro for three seasons but switch to a warmer suit in the Winter because I can't find anything to wear underneath the Klim that would keep me warm enough.

Yes, I have electric gear but that's only any good when it's working. An electric jacket packed up on me in -5 and snow on the way back from Millau. I was just a bit chilly in my Winter suit, I'd have frozen in my Klim so what's the secret?

Kevin

My personal choice in winter is Fourth Element base layers. I spent many years deep wreck diving in a dry suit around the UK coast and these always worked really well as the next to the skin layer. It gets bloody cold hanging around doing deco in the English Channel so you need something that will trap a good layer of air around your skin.
Same principles seem to apply under bike clothing so I use them here too and they seem to work well enough. I use a heated vest as well just to stay toasty :)
More details here: http://fourthelement.com

i have a Aerostitch Roadcrafter and its brilliant, but needs thermals when the temperature is < + 5 deg c so I would expect the same on the badlands Pro. One of the attractions of the Klim over the Rukka is the ventilation and comfort. Its also lighter.

The £500 saved is a significant bonus.

Just to throw my two penneth worth.

I've just gone from a Rukka Armax to the new Revit Poseidon. Kept me perfectly dry through some torrential rain in the Pyrenee's, and was well vented on some 30 degree days.

A better 'all season' suit than the Rukka by far.

I've had them all:augie, klim, rukka, dianese, halvarrsons, held, BMW et al. IMHO there is no such thing as a genuine 4 season suit, you will have to make compromises somewhere though the Klim Badlands probably comes the closest.

After years of trying to find the one suit to do it all I've gone back to having a winter and summer suit. If money is no object you just can't beat the quality of the top of the range Rukkas, if you ride a lot in the winter worth every penny. For summer touring I use a force field armoured shirt and a twat suit with the armour removed, combine that with a 2 piece 1/2 decent set of waterproofs and you'll be comfy no matter what the weather throws at you. An old set of dianese gear gets used for commuting duties.

Only you know what your priorities are and what sort of riding you do and when but if it were me I'd get the best I could afford for the winter and pick up a second hand bargain off here for the summer

I had a 70mph off in rukka kit last week.
When I'm fixed, I'll be putting it back on.

Anybody can say gear is good because it's comfy but if it will keep you dry and comfy for 10hrs a day in the rain and remain intact and give fair protection in a decent crash, that is pretty damn good to me.

--------------------------------
On the road to nowhere

Kevin

i bought the Klim Inferno to wear under my Badlands. not only is it warm it also doubles as a smart (in my opinion :nenau) jacket for general use. other than that i have some nice and warm base layer stuff as well.

When I press ganged my Rukka Armax into winter service on longer hauls with temps around Zero C I found the stock thermal inner wasn't enough to keep me from freezing my Moobs off and had to remember the heated Gillet to keep them and the kidneys happier . I suspect that as long as the Klim vent enclosures remain air tight when shut it will perform the same and maybe slightly better (for me) due to the snugger cut and longer @rse end flap keeping more of the drafts at bay :nenau

Which Halvarssons gear have you got? I like the Halvarssons/Lindstrand gear and Im tempted to get a Halvarssons Prime jacket for winter.

I've got a jacket that's no longer made but very similar to the Odyssey.
Works in a UK winter and European summer.

Highly recommended

Back
Top Bottom